I hope i'm not the only one

dazdot

I hope i'm on the right section here and i don't wish to upset any fans of the spitfire, but PLEASE no more new kits of this aircraft!!!!!!

I have just gone through 4 months of magazines and found a review of at least one if not two or three spit kits in each one

Please this is overkill

I hope i'm on the right section here and i don't wish to upset any fans of the spitfire, but PLEASE no more new kits of this aircraft!!!!!!

I have just gone through 4 months of magazines and found a review of at least one if not two or three spit kits in each one

Please this is overkill

You can never have to many Spitfires, roll on on a new tool 1/48 Mk XIV , XXI, 21, etc, and how about a Spitfire prototype, [rumours from Airfix, I believe ], bring 'em on I say.

Right. Lets get a few things straight.

There can NEVER be to many Spitfires in any scale!! Even to suggest this is verging on treason. :fight:

An obsession with spitfires is healthy and normal and long my it stay that way. :banghead::frantic:

Right. Lets get a few things straight.

There can NEVER be to many Spitfires in any scale!! Even to suggest this is verging on treason. :fight:

An obsession with spitfires is healthy and normal and long my it stay that way. :banghead::frantic:

like I said i didn't want to upset anyone but a bit of variation please How about a mainstream kit of a Whilwind in 1/48th or a BP defiant, I stand to be corrected but I haven't seen these! I would even like a Hurri 11d with the 40mm Cannons under the wings

I am a fan of the spit too but this is too much

Quite- I mean, how many days has it been since a new 109 release? :tapedshut:

Sorry, but I'm firmly in the "bring on the Spitfires" crowd, especially since we're finally getting some (more) really good ones. But I'd be perfectly happy to spend too much money on a 32nd Whirlwind! (I've got 48th covered, along with Defiants, thanks to Classic Airframes.)

bob

Edited by gingerbob

I'd like to see Tamiya reduce their 1/32 kits to 1/72 with the same quality and number of parts - then you might be able to say there are enough VIII's and IX's.

The Sword Mk V's almost make you say there are enough of those.

I'm sure dazdot will find willing homes for his excess if he has bought too many!

I built an Airfix Spitfire when I was a kid (about 100 years ago) and never built one for 20+ years, now I have re-discovered them. Bring them on, I say!

Spitfires sell because people (other than yourself) buy them. Its like saying no more 109s/190s/P-51s/Zeros/F-16s etc... all stuff that keep the pounds/dollars/yen rolling in.

End of the day its a business not a service to modellers.

A company (normal long-run plastic) has to be able to sell a kit in the 1000's possibly 10's of 1000's to break even and maybe make some money, so they have to pick their subjects well. Spitfires will sell, end of, it's a no brainer, which is why you see plenty of them. Personally I love Spitfires, so the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned - Seafires too.

I am surprised though, that the mainstream companies haven't tackled the Hurricane better. I'm sure a decent Hurricane series of kits would sell well in 1/72 and 1/48, a well thought out kit design could perhaps cover all the variants on a set of sprues which could be made to mix n match depending on the variant. I've got an AZ Model Hurricane Mk I in my stash to try at some point and I've built the Revell 1/48 Mk IIc (ex Hasegawa) and that's a nice kit if you ever find one!

As for a Defiant, not sure outside the UK there would be enough interest but I may be wrong. We have the MPM 1/72 Defiants in stock and they seem to be popular, much nicer than the Airfix kit although they will be a bit trickier to stick together than most mainstream kits.

http://www.mjwmodels.co.uk/home

thanks

Mike

I'd like to see Tamiya reduce their 1/32 kits to 1/72 with the same quality and number of parts - then you might be able to say there are enough VIII's and IX's.

The Sword Mk V's almost make you say there are enough of those.

I'm sure dazdot will find willing homes for his excess if he has bought too many!

I built an Airfix Spitfire when I was a kid (about 100 years ago) and never built one for 20+ years, now I have re-discovered them. Bring them on, I say!

I have built one a mk 22 in 48th and enjoyed it some years ago but i also agree ther are too many 109's 190's P51's etc and i do appreciate its a business. but the modelling press hook on to everyone thats released and then the rivet counting begins because they really can't find anything else to say. I mean i found one bemoaning the new 1/72 airfix mk1 and saying he preferred the previous kit because of shape issues, so why bring out the new one?

Hey Spitfire sell as people have said.

But its an individual taste thing, I am not a keen Spit fan so yeah in my opinion there are to many.

We all like building kits of our favourite planes and I am beginning a collection of Hurricanes.

Well, there's no problem, then; the next new one will be a Seafire (17.) :evil_laugh::poke:

Wow, coming in to Britmodeller and after just 8 posts, saying there's too many Spitfires. That's like saying there's too many Jews in Israel :P

Blasphemy!

He's got Balls (of solid Rock) Il give him that! LLLLLLLLLLOL

Richard McC

People PLEASE

TOO many TOO much TOO few o's in your 'toos'

and it's hard coz there are too many aeroplanes altogether but as several have suggested, each to their own but I am all for richness and diversity

:cheers:

and waiting for the bricks :tomato:

Adam

Wheres the can of worms emoticon when you need it. :banghead:

Simple really, just don't buy them.

I can agree to a point that I wouldn't like a company to release another Spitfire over something else the market is crying out for (1/72 Buccaneer for example)

Any aircraft that was used by so many airforces and painted in so many different schemes is always going to be popular worldwide.

I've got 8 to build, all different and there's always room for more :D

Chris (worrying about Sabre wings, not Spitfires)

Edited by chrisrope

Please this is overkill

There is one way to avoid all the magazine articles about new Spitfire kits, don't buy the magazines!

The Spitfire is an icon of British aviation, I would imagine that almost every person in the UK knows the name of the Spitfire, if you were to step out into the street and ask a stranger to name a WWII British fighter aircraft I reckon the Spitfire would be the most common answer followed by Hurricane. I doubt many would say Defiant, or even Tempest!

As has been mentioned, almost every manufacturer of plastic aircraft kits will have a Spitfire in thier line, many will have more than one version, just like the 109, Zero and Mustang... Why is this? Simple, a Tamiya kit of a Spitfire isn't making any money for Airfix, an Airfix kit of a Spitfire isn't making money for Revell or Hasegawa or any of the others, market forces rule, if the model-buying public weren't buying kits of Spitfires then we wouldn't see and many on the shelves or in the magazines.

Bottom line, you don't want any more Spitfire kits, I doubt its just you that feels this way but I'm willing to put a tenner on you being in an insignificant minority of modellers, especially amongst the members of this board!

The surprising thing is that for too many years the Spitfire was sadly neglected in 1/32 scale, there only being the ancient Revell (clunky and no gull wing) and Hasagawa (basic) offerings available.

If you wanted any other Mk's of Spitfire in 1/32 you had to go down the conversion route, and if you wanted an accurate Mk I/II or V then detail kits for the above were necessary.

So for me the present glut of Spitfire related 1/32 items (decals, resin etc) is very welcome for improving the stock of Hasagawa (and PCM) kits that I have in the loft.

Sadly I cannot justify spending the amount of money required for a Tamiya kit, no matter how superb they are.

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire

How about a mainstream kit of a Whilwind in 1/48th or a BP defiant

Whilst I would welcome kits of such aircraft, they aren't anywhere near as popular as the Spitfire and simply won't sell as much - a relatively unknown twin engine heavy fighter that only saw very limited service and a turret-fighter whose most famous accomplishment was being massacred by Bf109s!

The Spitfire is one of the most iconic aircraft in aviation history, produced in a large number of variants and served in every theatre of WW2. Is it any wonder it's a popular subject?

Spitfires, Mustangs and Bf109s are the most popular subjects, and as such are always going to get the lion's share of kits becuase that's where the money is - in the most popular aircraft.

Funnily enough, I don't think there are enough Spitfire kits available. As has already been said, the Spitfire has been until recently chronically under represented in 1/32. In my favoured scale of 1/48 there are plenty of Spitfire kits but we still lack definitive kits of the major variants.

Edited by Pielstick

I'm not the smartest sandwich in the picnic basket and I may have a tiny weeny history of gobbing off before thinking

but even I'd not be daft enough to come here and grumble bout Spitfires!

:lol: are you calling Daz daft? He's not daft, just not a fan of the Spit... or more likely a bigger fan of other aircraft than the Spit. :)

Of course there are too many Spits

A disgusting habit and people should be fined.

Kit manufacturers should try getting some accurate Hurris out there for a bloody change :rant:

Sydney Camm pwns Mitchell :bangin:

Hawkers* for FTW!

*don't mean door to door salesmen btw.

Edited by walrus

There is still no definitive mainstream MK VII/VIII/IX in either 1/72 or 1/48 yet, so there is still more room for Spitfires.

I consider the Spitfire to have gone through four major wartime marks - the MkI, MkV, MkIX and MkXIV.

In 1/48...

The Tamiya MkI is my favourite, although I know some of the Spitfire Illuminati regard it as having shape issues. The Airfix MkI is worth a look as you can build an early or late MkI, as well as a MkII straight from the box - although I find Airfix's moulding to be significantly inferior to Tamiya's.

For the MkV there is the Tamiya and Hasegawa kits. The Tamiya one is supposed to inherit the shape issues of the MkI. I don't think there's much wrong with the Hasegawa kit other than it's not produced any more!

For the MkIX you've got the Airfix kit [shudder], the Hasegawa with the short fuselage, the Italeri/Arii kit the criticisms of which escape me now, and the ICM kit which usually gets credited for being the best in terms of shape and dimensions, but gets blasted for sink marks and poor fit.

For the MkXIV we've got the Academy kit which looks like a Spitfire which has eaten far too many pies and needs to go on a serious diet.

So as you can see, although we've got plenty of Spitfire kits, in 1/48 at least we lack definitive kits of the major wartime variants.

Kit manufacturers should try getting some accurate Hurris out there for a bloody change rant.gif

Agreed. I think it's criminal that the only decent modern kit of the Hurricane in 1/48 is the out-of-production Hasegawa kit.

I would like to see a modern 1/48 Hurricane kit available on the market, I might even buy a few myself.... although I've already sold my soul for no less than 18 of the Hasegawa kits :jump_fire:

Edited by Pielstick