1/72 B-25 Mitchell

Jb65rams

Speaking of oldies, Revell 1/64 B-25 B, built as wheels up with some mods and sourced decals....this pic offered as inspiration..........

P2110033B25sgroupshot164Revell.jpg

Cheers,

ggc

Edited by CPNGROATS
  • Like 1

I look forward to following the builds. I am planning to do the same kit for the Pacific GB but as a gun ship with painted over nose glazing.

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

I have made a start on one of the Mitchells.

BomberGB_06_Progress14Jun2011.jpg

The flash hasn't done the crew many favours, look a bit pale.

This one will be 99% out of the box and displayed wheels up, finished as a B-25B from the Doolittle Raid. Looking to try a propeller effect for the completed model. Plan is to have the main assembly complete before I start the second, otherwise the work bench gets a little crowded.

"The flash hasn't done the crew many favours, look a bit pale."

looks like one of them closed his eyes when you took the picture... :analintruder:

Something very satisfying about two almost identical models on the shelf- especially bombers.

Could I ask whether you could take some sprue shots? I have a ex-Frog (Chematic boxing) of the B-25C which I hope one day to build as a RAF PR machine, but have heard the Italeri kit is much superior- sadly it has been oop for a while.

Will

Sprue shots as requested. This was the Revell boxing but is identical to the Italeri. Panels lines are raised but not over done. So far it is going together nicely with very little filler required.

BomberGB_04_Sprue2.jpg

BomberGB_04_Sprue1.jpg

BomberGB_04_Sprue3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looking very nice so far :)

I'd be interested to hear how you decided when to start the second one? I've only ever done one 'double build', but made the two absolutely in parallel - probably the most time efficient, but somehow not that enjoyable (I don't know why). Your staggered approach seems better. Sorry if this a bit of an OCD question?! ;)

Cliff

Looking very nice so far :)

I'd be interested to hear how you decided when to start the second one? I've only ever done one 'double build', but made the two absolutely in parallel - probably the most time efficient, but somehow not that enjoyable (I don't know why). Your staggered approach seems better. Sorry if this a bit of an OCD question?! ;)

Cliff

Yes, that is an interesting question to me too. I'm thinking of doing a double build for the Pacific group. In parallel might be boring while series building is clearly inefficient in terms of doubling paint stirring, clean ups etc. I suppose there's a series-parallel optimum plan somewhere.

Come on you Rams! (lol) Tell us your secrets. It seems to be coming together well for you.

No secret really. I am limited by space as I have to pack the work area away to make room for the spray both. So I tend to have 2 or 3 models on the go at any one time, building them all to a point where I can switch to paint mode.

I substantially assemble the main parts of the first model before starting on the second. As for actual building / painting, I only work on single model in a session. I find this reduces the chances of a $%^& up.

Hope this makes sense.

Progress to date.

BomberGB_13_Progress25Jun2011.jpg

BomberGB_14_Progress25Jun2011.jpg

The second Mitchell is proving to be a stubborn tail sitter, Revell do provide a clear plastic tail prop which I would like to avoid using. Already have a large lump of metal behind the cockpit, Going to try packing lead shot directly behind the engines and some lead foil under the cockpit floor. Just hope the undercarriage will take it.

The second Mitchell is proving to be a stubborn tail sitter, Revell do provide a clear plastic tail prop which I would like to avoid using. Already have a large lump of metal behind the cockpit, Going to try packing lead shot directly behind the engines and some lead foil under the cockpit floor. Just hope the undercarriage will take it.

Nasty. That's the trouble with glass nosed birds. It's hard to get the weight as far forward so you end up putting more and more in. I've had an u/c collapse myself (but the doc says I'll recover. lol).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Progress has been slow.

The B model is getting there. Painted and decaled. Considering the decals were probably as old as me, they behaved surprisingly well. Going to attempt to make some blurred props next.

BomberGB_25_07Aug115.jpg

The C will be model is next into the paint shop, going to be in RAF markings for 226 squadron.

BomberGB_26_07Aug116.jpg

That B model is looking very nice in its paint, jb :) .

I have to say that your spray booth looks pretty impressive too - is it one that you bought complete, or have you made it up yourself? I really need to upgrade my homemade contraption to something with a bit more 'ooomph'!

Cliff

I built the Testors boxing of the Italeri kit some years ago. Pretty nice, as I recall.

Youre doing a good job of it.

Thanks for the feedback on the spray booth - I have a birthday coming up, so this looks like a great idea.

I reckon the family could club together and just about afford it. Saves me having to come up with numerous other ideas for them!

Thanks again

Cliff

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more progress. I quite pleased with the way the B-25C came out, my first attempt at airbrushing invasion stripes and a camo scheme.

One slight hiccup when painting, I somehow caught the wingtip with the strap of my paint mask when tidying up sending it into a nose dive. Broke off 2 of the 3 undercarriage legs. I've drilled out and pinned the legs, just hoping they prove strong enough considering the amount of nose weight I had to put in.

BomberGB_27_23Aug11.jpg

BomberGB_29_23Aug11.jpg