Phantom References

Hi,

I'm not part of the group build and have only just acquired a F Mk.3 (F-4J UK). Great builds BTW, inspiring stuff for my future build. Reading a build review, it said the Sidewinder Aim 9's in the kit were the wrong type for RAF F-4's.

Could anyone please clarify which Aim 9's the RAF would have been using on the F-4's in the 1983-85 period? AIM 9L APPARENTLY

Thanks,

Parabat

Edited by Parabat

Hi everyone ;

I wanted to add a reference photo. I hope you do. ;)

Turkish Air Force "Karasahin" special pattern.

172yanprofil.jpg

F-4E172USTGORUNUM.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

* Design by : Mr. Omer ERKMEN

* Contact for decals : [email protected] ( Mr. M. Tarik SOYLU )

Regards,

Baris.

That is one very beautiful paint scheme. Do you by chance have any more photographs of the aircraft?

Thanks for posting that gorgeous RHINO!

Cheers,

• 1 month later...

I posed this question in the "Cold War" forum, but I thought a more targetted audience might know the answer.

Does anyone have the dimensions on the tailfeathers of the J-79 engine used on the F-4E/EJ/F/G/J/S?

I'm looking at the 'burner petals on the 1/48 Monogram F-4J and they look too long compared to the surrounding panel lines. I picked up a set of the "long" petal J-79 engines from Cobra Company, but they look on the small side compared to the panel lines and REALLY small compared to the Monogram kit parts.

I've tried sliding the 1/48 Hasegawa "late" J-79 burner petals into the Monogram F-4 fuselage and they also look a little small, but I don't know how big they're supposed to be.

J-792.jpg

I know there are a few Phantoms on display in my area, but either they're charging admission (which I don't want to pay just to measure an engine), too high off the ground to measure, or the engines have been removed. Sometmes museum restorations have odd features that don't reflect in-use examples.(see pic)

J-791.jpg

In a related quesion, are the AIRES late J-79 burner cans bigger than the Hasegawa ones?