An Orange F-4F!

Another update from me. Apologies for the photos.....just quickly took a couple in my shed in between rain showers!

Progressing well....I might actually finish this one! :)

GEDC2240.jpg

GEDC2236.jpg

Regards.

Graham

Edited by ghaynes

• 2 weeks later...

What a beauty Graham!

Now I feel your pain with the cockpit sidewalls and the big gaps. But instead of loosing valuable time trying to recreate the lost details I should have done it your way, using the Eduard parts.

She is looking great Graham!!!

Cheers,

Alex

Thanks Alex.

I haven't progressed much more as I've been working on the Lightning and Jaguar in our museum. Hope to get some time to finish the decalling tomorrow!

Cheers.

Graham

What a beauty Graham!

Now I feel your pain with the cockpit sidewalls and the big gaps. But instead of loosing valuable time trying to recreate the lost details I should have done it your way, using the Eduard parts.

She is looking great Graham!!!

Cheers,

Alex

This is really coming along nicely! And that was a great recovery on the decals that lifted! I know the heartache of that feeling - I can't count the number of times a decal has pulled off with low tack tape, etc. I do everything I can to ensure that all the decals go on last, even if it adds a couple of steps to the build.

Good info on the fit of the 1:48 Revell kit, too. I'm doing the 1:72 version, and it also fits together like a dream. If only RoG could do this consistently on every new tool. After building a few of their really nice new kits, I bought their 1:72 F-14D, figuring it would save me some money over the Hasegawa kit, and be nearly as good. But wow, what a lousy kit! The engraved panel lines shout Matchbox, and the fit is horrible. Live and learn...wish the on-line reviews had given me a tip!

Cheers,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Looking great Graham!!!! Just a short way left...keep up the great work!

But I can absolutely understand you. During the last three weeks my build progress was close to nothing...Job, family and at the end the flu shot me down.

How are the Jaguar and Lightning coming along? Are you guys working only at the paint finish or do you have to bring the aircrafts "back to live"? Sad the US won't let you exhibit American types!

Cheers,

Alex

Thanks for the encouragement Alex. Yep, same issues here...job, family and the 1:1 'models' as well! :)

The Lightning should have electrics working and the Jaguar both electrics and hydraulics. I applied DC power to the Jag for the first time last weekend. It makes a big difference seeing an aircraft come back to life after being 'dead' for 18 years.

Hope to get the undercarriage on the Phantom this week....that's the plan anyway!

Kind regards.

Graham

Looking great Graham!!!! Just a short way left...keep up the great work!

But I can absolutely understand you. During the last three weeks my build progress was close to nothing...Job, family and at the end the flu shot me down.

How are the Jaguar and Lightning coming along? Are you guys working only at the paint finish or do you have to bring the aircrafts "back to live"? Sad the US won't let you exhibit American types!

Cheers,

Alex

Edited by ghaynes

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alex,

Not much happened to the Phantom this week as the 1:1 projects took priority. I hope to get the undercarriage on it tonight though.

Re. the big birds, if you are on Facebook take a look at the Bentwaters Cold War Museum page. There are lots of photos of all our aircraft there.

Regards.

Graham

Hello Graham,

How are your projects coming along?

Would love to see the two big birds live and alive! Any photos available?

How is the doing?

Cheers,

Alex

With the time ticking away I am actually hopeful that I may get this one finished before the deadline. The temptation to put this on the backburner and start something else has been very tempting at times! I will be glad when I can start to build something less colourful! Anyway, here's a few more in-progress pics:

GEDC2323.jpg

GEDC2322.jpg

GEDC2321.jpg

GEDC2320.jpg

GEDC2319.jpg

Regards.

Graham

Hi Eric,

Well spotted! :)

No, it hasn't settled completely and is largely to do with the problems I had when the mask removed the original decals. I'm still applying Micro Set and Micro Sol to get it to bed down and it is steadily improving. Hopefully, if it doesn't settle the final varnish coat will hide it!

The next model I build will definitely be painted grey!

Regards.

Graham

Nice progress Graham. I did notice something though. The decal for the wing stripe is a little bit rough on the port side. Did it not straighten up when it dried completely?

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. Alex. Most of the decals have settled. There's just one small patch on the port wing tip that's being a bit stubborn! It will settle eventually no doubt!

Regards.

Graham

Congratulations Graham!!!

She really looks PHANTASTIC! Looks like all the decals settled at the end :clap2:

Cheers,

Alex

• 3 weeks later...