Welcome to the F-4 Phantom II STGB

Isn't that strap correct for the -F too? I'd better throw one on mine if it is.

ahhh the $64,000 dollar question, ive never been able to find a definative answer. As far as i know, Mc Air put the plates on SOME slatted versions, as a stop-gap until they ftted thicker skin plates, eliminationg the need for the strengthening plates....unless anyone here knows better of course.

the answer, as usual with the F-4 (and canberras) is to get photo refs for the individual aircraft you are portraying, as others of the same variant may differ.

HTH

steve

as an aside, as soon as i can find a reasonably cheap one my want list is short...revell 48th fgr2

Edited by kspriss

The thicker bottom wing skin was introduced from the 803rd F-4E 72-0121 which was a block 50 jet. Therefore all F-4s built from this point wouldn't have had the strap. This includes all F-4Fs so Uncle Tadhg can rest easy :) .

The strap was part of the Leading Edge Slat (LES) retrofit so any F-4E with slats and a Fiscal Year number before 72 has a strap installed. Production blocks -48,-49 and early -50 (FY71) also had the strap as these were the first E models with LES. All F-4Gs will have the strap as they were mainly FY69 aircraft. Slatless J-79 F-4s don't appear to have received the strap - except for the F-4J(UK) which were effectively F-4Ss without slats.

Installation of the strap on British Phantoms is less clear. It may have depended on the remaining fatigue life and inspection findings during Major servicing and seem to have started appearing in the mid- to late '80s as part of the re-sparring programme. I don't recall ever seeing one on a Navy FG1 and the ones I have seen were on 56, 74 and 64 Sqn/228OCU FGR2s, who were the last operators. If anyone can throw more light on this, we'd all be very grateful!

What differences is there between FG1 and FG2 I have the chance of an FG2 !/48 cheepish but wanted to do a FFA model.

Cruisersig,

The basic external differences are slotted stabilators, exendable nose gear leg, different lights on the nose gear door and in the cockpit the WSO office has differences too. At the end of the day, aslong as youve got the nose gear door, leg & slotted stabs youre sorted really, but below is a linky that will help you and the info you want is for the F-4K (FG1) which were the Royal Navy birds.

Bexy

LINKY

are these parts avalible as resin upgrade parts? Slotted stabs? are theese the ones on fin? sorry for Qs I am manly a ship modeller

Dont worry about the questions, no problem at all :thumbsup2: As for resin upgrades, that Im not sure about, and yes the slotted stabs are either side of the tail (on other aircraft the Elevators)

Bexy

Cruisersig,

The basic external differences are slotted stabilators, exendable nose gear leg, different lights on the nose gear door and in the cockpit the WSO office has differences too. At the end of the day, aslong as youve got the nose gear door, leg & slotted stabs youre sorted really, but below is a linky that will help you and the info you want is for the F-4K (FG1) which were the Royal Navy birds.

Bexy

LINKY

;) you missed the catapult hooks are on a FG MK1 (faired over on the FGR2) most bits are in both boxes the only difference is the FG MK1 has the slotted slabs, and RN nose legs on the J sprue, these are not present on the K slotted slab sprue.

i dont think they do resin stabilators for the f-4k...just had a quick look at hannants with no sign

steve

Steve

Cutting edge did some, but sadly now as rare as rocking horse :shit:

Dave

Edited by zero

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am going build an Ark Royal FG.1 by converting Hasegawa's A&AEE 25th anniversary FG.1, which seems to have a non-standard nose cone. I also have two FGR.2s in the stash, can I use the parts from these kits?

Hi all,

I am going build an Ark Royal FG.1 by converting Hasegawa's A&AEE 25th anniversary FG.1, which seems to have a non-standard nose cone. I also have two FGR.2s in the stash, can I use the parts from these kits?

In a word, yes you can!

The nose in the FG1 kit was unique to XT597, so you may want to consider finding a way to copy one of the originals as it'd be a shame to end up with an unusable FGR2 :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still here....

I'm not dead....

...and I will be building TWO phantoms.....eventually

hopefully they'll both be done by November, but we're looking at RAF aircraft;

1 from 1973, in camo colours

1 from....ummm...I forget, but it'll be in grey....

Just thought I'd mention this

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I mistakenly posted this in the wrong thread. I served in the US Marines and I have a soft spot for the F-4. Another former-Marine at Impact Decals seems to share my affection for the old bird.

It's too bad this sheet isn't already available for purchase -

48-006cover.jpg

The entire thread is here ->Announcement thread

I have a question for the FAA fan perspective - "Would the 892-painted American F-4 be a popular option?"

The F-4 Phantom SIG is offering some table space for anyone who wishes to show their finished Group Build Phantoms at Telford. The SIG's total space is 4 tables, and we can offer a reasonable amount of that for your models. I stress that membership of the SIG is NOT a requirement for this, and I would like to put small cards on the table with the modellers name on it.

This is only a suggestion, but I thought it might appeal to some of you.

Please let me know what you think.

Ted

Ted,

Please could you thank the SIG from us for their very kind offer, and Im sure it will be taken up.

Bexy

• 2 weeks later...
The F-4 Phantom SIG is offering some table space for anyone who wishes to show their finished Group Build Phantoms at Telford. The SIG's total space is 4 tables, and we can offer a reasonable amount of that for your models. I stress that membership of the SIG is NOT a requirement for this, and I would like to put small cards on the table with the modellers name on it.

This is only a suggestion, but I thought it might appeal to some of you.

Please let me know what you think.

Ted

I know that you will be at the Farnborough show on Saturday, and as I am a member of the club and will be there do you mind if I bring my completed one along?

I know that you will be at the Farnborough show on Saturday, and as I am a member of the club and will be there do you mind if I bring my completed one along?

I won't be there myself being based in Glasgow, but Phil Butler will be there and I am sure he will be willing to accomodate your model. I'll give him a ring to confirm though.

Ted

I won't be there myself being based in Glasgow, but Phil Butler will be there and I am sure he will be willing to accomodate your model. I'll give him a ring to confirm though.

Ted

I didn't take it yesterday, but I will bring it to the nationals if the offer is still available.

I didn't take it yesterday, but I will bring it to the nationals if the offer is still available.

Of course the offer is still open. I spoke to Phil and he did mention your model didn't turn up.

The F-4 SIG is always willing to accept visiting aircraft, but occasionally we work to a theme, then we would naturally restrict it then, but that is rare.

Once I get our web site sorted out, forthcoming shows will be listed, but don't hold your breath, I have a lot on at the moment.

See you at the Nationals.

Ted

Hello folks,

I have 2 questions as a newbie,

#1 - Is it too late to enter as a participant this Group Build? I do have a 1/48 F-4J that I'd like to build. This STGB is as much excuse for me as any.

#2 - Is it alright for me to post this link -> http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=16845 <- here? Impact decals has announced a re-release for a sheet containing a black-tail RF-4B and a whole new sheet of VMFA-531 F-4s! (I can edit my post to remove the link if it is bad form.)

Hello folks,

I have 2 questions as a newbie,

#1 - Is it too late to enter as a participant this Group Build? I do have a 1/48 F-4J that I'd like to build. This STGB is as much excuse for me as any.

#2 - Is it alright for me to post this link -> http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=16845 <- here? Impact decals has announced a re-release for a sheet containing a black-tail RF-4B and a whole new sheet of VMFA-531 F-4s! (I can edit my post to remove the link if it is bad form.)

Hi John, welcome to the GB and go for it :yahoo:

Bexy