Airfix Lightning F.3

It is a very nice finish to a scheme that compliments the Dan Dare age very well

I'm interested in how it was a beast as i'm looking to pick up the re released version when it comes out later this year

It is a very nice finish to a scheme that compliments the Dan Dare age very well

I'm interested in how it was a beast as i'm looking to pick up the re released version when it comes out later this year

I think all of my problems were self-generated because I chose to scratchbuild, rather than doing aftermarket (none used). I scratched the main gear interiors (not shown because my camera skills are lacking), and that took a while. Also, I used the kit seat and upgraded it by using "green stuff", two-part epoxy putty to make new parachute pack, cushions, and belts. Then there's all those little pieces that have to be added (antennas, gear doors, etc.).

I used Cutting Edge decals, which turned out to be a pain. Those big red squares on the tail were really a problem because the clear carrier does not cover the clear space between the red squares, so, every time I moved one square, the rest moved, but not where I wanted them too! It was very funny, but also very frustrating.

All-in-all, this one taxed my patience, but it finally got done.

I posted this one on another site, but, figured it should be over here on the Brit site where it really belongs.

Edited by Marv

Amazing Lightning. Great colour scheme. The NMF and red go together really well. :speak_cool:

Very nice indeed! I love the scheme, and your NMF looks fantastic! What did you use for the panel line wash? Was Alcad applied directly over Mr. Surfacer? I thought a very glossy surface was recommended, but yours looks beautiful. It has that in-service look to it, not the shiny polished look that some prefer. Good job!

Cheers,

Bill

That's brilliant. Love the finish. The tail and spine markings are superb, and the amount of weathering is spot on.