Tamiya 1:35 Challenger 1 Mk3 - Lots of Pics

Ah the Summer of 1999, Ann Lee was doing it 'Two Times' whilst Alice Deejay was asking 'Who Needs Guitars Anyway?'. In Kosovo Big Country had been brought over to entertain the masses whilst a third of the world worried about the Millenium Bug, a third couldn't care less, and the other third thought it was a new album by Robbie Williams. The Millenium Dome was slated to be the biggest white elephant ever and for the first time Nato and Russia worked together.

This model is of a Chally of the KRH as it would have appeared around August after being in the field for a few weeks. The ever clinging Kosovar dust had penetrated just about everywhere and the crew have parked up somewhere on the Dragodan strip to watch Pristinas bright young things go about their business in the myriad of coffee shops, knock off boutiques and dodgy hairdressers.

For a full account of the Chally Build click and look...

Scan060.jpg

Scan059.jpg

Scan061.jpg

Scan062.jpg

Scan064.jpg

Scan063.jpg

Scan066.jpg

Scan065.jpg

Scan067.jpg

Scan068.jpg

Scan069.jpg

Scan070.jpg

Scan071.jpg

Scan072.jpg

Scan073.jpg

Scan074.jpg

Scan075.jpg

Scan076.jpg

Scan077.jpg

I have to say I REALLY enjoyed this build, learn't alot about modelling doing it, but am going to take a wee break kick back for a couple of weeks...and hell will also freeze over later on tonight.

Edited by benskipper

Thank you for documenting your build so carefully, its a superb tutorial in how one of these should look... I'm using your build as the inspiration for mine I've been working on recently...

Edited by Kallisti

Nice work! really like the yellow nose cone and the desert paint showing through on the side armour!

Jon

Very nice indeed, captures the look of a Chally perfectly. I've always thought the Chally looks really business-like with the added armour on it, and yours does too :)

Excellent work!

Cheers all for the very kind comments.

This is one of those models which took time to build (almost 6 moths!!) and in the early stages I started to think I'd bitten off more than I could chew (like the Universal Carrier all over again), but cracking on seems to have done the trick nicely. Aside from the eduard PE and the resin bolt heads, and chains all the other embellishments are from speaker wire, butty bag twists and srcpas of platicard. Even without me doing all that nonsense the kit is fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone, just watch that barrel :winkgrin: as it's the only part that needs patience when sticking it together.

I have to admit I'm more than a little picky when it comes to armour as I like it to be just so, but I love building the aircraft purely for the enjoyment element.

Which is what I feel this hobby is all about, go nuts on that which inspires and enjoy that which gives you pleasure.

Excellent work my friend.

I love the chally it is such a good looking tank, if such things can be good looking.

I have built one of these in desert colours and I have another sitting on the shelf waiting to be opened and built. :wow:

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's excellent! The dust and chipping and the way you've blended it all in is superb. I love the attention to detail such as the stowage and the tie-brackets on the track guards, etc.. I went to Bovington a few weeks ago, and I have to say this very much conjures up images of the real deal - very lifelike!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...