1:72 Revell Eurofighter Typhoon

Here is one I've been working on for a while, kind of on-and-off between other projects. Finally finished her up, and thought I would post some pictures. This is the 1/72 Revell offering, with all of its good and bad features, combined with Eduard photoetch. I decided early on that I wanted to do the kit without the drop tanks, as they're kind of boring.

Here on Britmodeller there are some great reference shots of Tiffys with Paveway bombs and LITENING pod, so I decided on that along with AMRAAM and ASRAAM missiles. The Paveways are 500 pounders, purloined from an old Italeri F-117 kit. Every photo I have of a Paveway shows them painted a different way, so I just picked one of them.

The model was painted overall Barley Gray (Gunze H334), with a light aircraft gray used for wheel wells and landing gear. I've seen several models that use white here, and although references mention both, the majority favor light gray. Extra structural details came from Eduard, along with the brake lines. By the way, 1/72 photoetch brake lines should be illegal. But I keep buying and bending them. The oleo scissors also come from Eduard, and they are a huge improvement over the molded items from the kit.

I used Eduard's self-adhesive cockpit panels, and here I made a mistake that is pretty obvious. I noticed that the gray on the Eduard panels is actually a light blue-gray, and I should have painted the pit to match. But I followed my references and used FS36231. The is glaringly different, and it upsets the look of the finished pit. The photoetch for the bang seat is superb, even including textured cushions. I felt that a resin replacement wasn't necessary.

Looking at all of my reference photos, the radome on RAF Typhoons seems to vary from virtually the same color as the airframe to something considerably darker. (Unlike the German planes where the radome is lighter.) I opted for a darker radome for contrast, trying to match one of the reference photos here on this site. The RAF planes are well-maintained, so I did not do any weathering other than a dark gray wash in the panel lines and wheel wells, and the obligatory ACU exhaust stain (done with pastel chalk). The decal sheet in the kit is really good, and everything went down well. Stenciling is provided for all of the armament and even the pylons. Nice job, Revell!

The model is posed in an unlikely configuration. The dorsal speed brake is not likely to be open other than during landing, and certainly wouldn't be up if the engines are off. But it didn't fit well at all, so I posed it up. Modeller's license, I guess.

Anyway, here she is. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Bill

IMG_2051

IMG_2052

IMG_2058

IMG_2056

IMG_2061

IMG_2054

IMG_2059

IMG_2053

IMG_2063

IMG_2057

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Navy Bird
Photobucket Eradication
  • Like 2

Have to say this is superb! Such a nice, clean build. I just built their 1/144 version and would love to have a crack at this, the 1/48 and their 1/32 too! Well done that man!

Man I love this aircraft. Another great representation. Your pictures look pretty good to me as well!

Great stuff, I wonder if we'll see a black spinned 11sqn Typhoon at some point?