HMS Manchester+HMS Sheffield

more photos

DSCF3504.jpg

DSCF3506.jpg

Good stuff, that. The inner circle on the flightdeck should be painted in a flat aluminium color, with a small tinge of copper. This is the flightdeck harpoon grid, used in rough weather to secure a landing-on helicopter.

Y'know - I have been searching for an image of the ship with that configuration and I can't find one. I am pretty sure her Ship Torpedo Weapon System (STWS) was removed some time in the late eighties when her strengthening swage was fitted to her waists. I certainly can't find on that shows both in place, and the STWS wasn't there when I was on her 1999-2001. The STWS was horrendously difficult to maintain and use and was binned on all 42s in the end.

Ship Fixer

• 4 weeks later...

Your builds are coming along very nicely! If you don't mind, I would love to ask you a couple questions on them.

1) Are all the etch doors, etc on each of them a specific etch set for the class or generic RN doors, USN doors, etc?

2) What are you using to make the 'waves' on your base? Is it silicone? Are you going to paint it?

3) For the deck on the Manchester, it is already painted before you put on the etch railings. Did you spray the dark grey, then paint the lighter gray details with brush?

Thanks again. I am currently working on a 700 Kirov class and the deck painting is 'killing' me!

Your builds are coming along very nicely! If you don't mind, I would love to ask you a couple questions on them.

1) Are all the etch doors, etc on each of them a specific etch set for the class or generic RN doors, USN doors, etc?

2) What are you using to make the 'waves' on your base? Is it silicone? Are you going to paint it?

3) For the deck on the Manchester, it is already painted before you put on the etch railings. Did you spray the dark grey, then paint the lighter gray details with brush?

Thanks again. I am currently working on a 700 Kirov class and the deck painting is 'killing' me!

your first question their from this PE kit from white Ensign https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/WEM+170...er+PE+737/5466/

I like to use the correct doors RN for RN and the same for US

Next question always paint the decks before gluing the railings on,by the way I use white glue(EVO-STIK Wood adhesive ) to put then on ,have a go, much better than fighting with super glue and the last one I use B&Q ready filler paint that dark sea grey then cover in the above white glue let it dry.put a few lines in to make a side wave then paint it and vanish ,still not sure ,will get it right one day.The USS Knox is all sprayed, much easier ,but have to plan ahead, but a lot easy than the brush

Edited by Chris Hewitt

your first question their from this PE kit from white Ensign https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/WEM+170...er+PE+737/5466/

I like to use the correct doors RN for RN and the same for US

Next question always paint the decks before gluing the railings on,by the way I use white glue(EVO-STIK Wood adhesive ) to put then on ,have a go, much better than fighting with super glue and the last one I use B&Q ready filler paint that dark sea grey then cover in the above white glue let it dry.put a few lines in to make a side wave then paint it and vanish ,still not sure ,will get it right one day.The USS Knox is all sprayed, much easier ,but have to plan ahead, but a lot easy than the brush

Thanks, really helpful. Again, you do a really nice job on your kits!

Nice build ,I always like the looks of the Batch III Type 42`s.If anyone is interested I have a series of close-ups of HMS York ,taken in 2007,it you want to have them please PM me with your E-mail address.

Cheers Phil

Thanks for the Photo,s will help with the rigging ,good close ups

Cheers Chris

found this link ,think will have to start again fantastic build http://rnwarships.informe.com/forum/destro...build-t100.html

I think orginally that site was aimed at large-scale working models ,but they have now expanded to take in the smaller scales(144th and below).It looks to me like Brit version of Modelwarships.com.lets hope it is .

Cheers Phil

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
when Sheffield was first in Commsion she had a Wasp, So !!!!!

ModelD8013.jpg

Very impressive! So what is your technique to adding the PE, especially these really small pieces? Super Glue? Thin or thick? Dab the PE in the glue then attach, etc???

Thanks for sharing these impressive ships of yours! That little wasp is something!

• 2 months later...

Hi Chewitt, Absolutely stunning models. The weathering on the upper deck is particularly noteworthy from the perspective of someone who spent many hours on watch looking out of the bridge windows over the focsle of both stumpies and stretched versions. The First Lieutenant will be happy that the rust does not show at this scale ;-)

2 small inconsistencies which may be worth bearing in mind if you do any of the other T42's.

fair-leads and Bollards - pre 1982 and the Falklands they were painted white on all RN vessels. It was only after the war they were changed to the uniform topcoat grey across the fleet.

Sea Dart missiles - for the Sheffield model, in attendance with the tug, entering harbour she would have her dummy darts up. These were red when new but had a habit of fading to a shade of pink :-). The booster motor behind the missile was a shade of royal blue. The ones you have depicted are the 'war' dart which were white and would only be seen in harbour rarely when alongside for testing purposes or at sea when actually launching one of the fiery focsle paint strippers:-) . If you are interested I can probably dig some phots out of the photo album which shows them.

Cracking models both of them.

Hi Chewitt, Absolutely stunning models. The weathering on the upper deck is particularly noteworthy from the perspective of someone who spent many hours on watch looking out of the bridge windows over the focsle of both stumpies and stretched versions. The First Lieutenant will be happy that the rust does not show at this scale ;-)

2 small inconsistencies which may be worth bearing in mind if you do any of the other T42's.

fair-leads and Bollards - pre 1982 and the Falklands they were painted white on all RN vessels. It was only after the war they were changed to the uniform topcoat grey across the fleet.

Sea Dart missiles - for the Sheffield model, in attendance with the tug, entering harbour she would have her dummy darts up. These were red when new but had a habit of fading to a shade of pink :-). The booster motor behind the missile was a shade of royal blue. The ones you have depicted are the 'war' dart which were white and would only be seen in harbour rarely when alongside for testing purposes or at sea when actually launching one of the fiery focsle paint strippers:-) . If you are interested I can probably dig some phots out of the photo album which shows them.

Cracking models both of them.

thks for the tips ,going to change both