BAe Hawk T.1 XX301 FRADU Fly Navy 100

Hi

After the trials and tribulations of my 1/32 Hawk for the OOB GB, I thought it was about time I started a slightly smaller one for this GB!

I will be using the current Airfix 1/72 Red Arrows Hawk with Xtradecal sheet X72-100 to represent XX301 of FRADU at Yeovilton in 2009, commemorating 100 Years of Naval Aviation. I hope that it will look something like her sistership (still wearing the livery in April 2011):

Hawk.jpg

Here is my starting point:

Hawkbox.jpg

Hawkdecals.jpg

I hope to start some painting this evening.

Edited by Alpha Delta 210

Hi

Thanks for you feedback, Moaning Dolphin. I'm enjoying this build, as it is quick and simple, which is much more in tune with my capabilities than the 1/32 Revell beast!

I had forgotten how quickly this kit comes together - I had to force myself to stop to take a picture! The only slight problem was the fit of the panel behind the cockpit. I had to sand down the rear bulkhead that the seat is attached to get get a reasonable fit. I think it might still need a little filler, though.

hawkfuselage.jpg

lol@ moaning dolphin

Looking good so far - looks to be a nice kit too. What's happened to the "grown up's" instruments? Are they supposed to tilt like that? if so my italeri build is wrong...

Thanks guys. I can't work out was has happened, as I have just double-checked the instructions and I appear to have attached the rear panel correctly. I think that I will remove it and attach it directly to the coaming which i will fit after painting. Thanks again for pointing it out!

Looking good! Don't know how thick the fin decals are, the ones I used (can't remember which but not xtradecal) needed the tail sprayed White to really look good. Keep up the good work!

Hi

I have used a cut down pin for the pitot, painted the MDC Tamiya Deck Tan (some clean-up required when completely dry) and applied the large decals. They are thick enough to not let the black show through, Moaning Dolphin, but settle nicely into the engraved detail. Some trimming of the fin decals is required when they have dried thoroughly.

Next job (after a trip to Duxford today) is to apply decal strip to the canopy frame so that I can finish the decalling.

hawklargedecals.jpg

hawklargedecals1.jpg

Well, she's finished!

I had a nightmare with some of the tiny stencil decals - a couple of them disappeared never to be seen again! Xtradecal don't include the vertical white stripes under the canopy (anyone know what they are?), so I cut them from the side stripe of the donor kit.

I do like this kit (it's a good job, as I have a few more in stock!), but I am not happy with the main gear doors, as they appear to be significantly under-scale. Next time, I might attempt to cut down the doors that are intended for use if the model is to be built gear up.

I have posted 4 pictures in the Completed Builds thread, so will only post a couple here:

HawkFRADU3.jpg

HawkFRADU2.jpg

That's looking mighty resplendant!

The White stripes are guides for the footstep so the pilot doesn't loose his footing and make an bottom of himself!

Bob

• 2 weeks later...