A very Different Sea Vixen

LOVE that scheme!!!! That is SO eye catching. Congratulations on a really great build and unique look.

This is Alan Firbank's Airfix Sea Vixen in Target Tug colours

39.jpg

IMG_0229e.jpg

Personally I would take that scheme over the standard Grey over White anyday. Great finish and build.

Andy

Very nice! Anyone know if this scheme (or anything similar) is available aftermarket in 1/72? I have the MPM kit, and decking it out in more colorful markings like this would be great.

Cheers,

Bill

Very nice! Anyone know if this scheme (or anything similar) is available aftermarket in 1/72? I have the MPM kit, and decking it out in more colorful markings like this would be great.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks for the comments. The decals are from Model Alliance and there is an equivalent sheet in 1/72 and the sheet number is MA-72197.

Here's an underside shot and some more information from Alan ( Paperback Writer is his BM id - bit new to posting pics etc !! )

40.jpg

Here is the underside of the Sea Vixen and more finishing details. The kit is of course the Airfix 1/48 Sea Vixen built straight from the box with the exception of the two wing pitots. The kit parts have been replaced with two darning needles trimmed to match the length of the kit parts.

Model Alliance decal sheet MA-48197 (MA-72197 is the one for builders of 1/72 Sea Vixens) was used to recreate a Sea Vixen used by Flight Refuelling Ltd as a Target Tug during the late 1970s/early 1980s. The aircraft was scrapped in March 1984. Roundels and fins flashes came from Xtradecal Sheet X037-48 that offers a range of RAF Roundel sizes, styles and colours. All stencilling items came from the excellent decal sheet that came in the Airfix box.

Humbrol 209 Gloss Fire Orange with an undercoat of white was used for the day-glo bands around the tail booms and on the upper wings. Xtracolor X015 Light Aircraft Grey is the top colour with Xtracolor X106 Yellow and X012 Black for the underside. Tamiya masking tape was used for most of the masking with Aizu fineline tape and Humbrol Maskol used in places. Afterwards, the decals were sealed with a coat of Humbrol's Gloss Cote.

If anyone needs to know more, then drop me a line please.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Gundylunch

Spectacular! I was wondering when we'd start to see some tug and drone versions :D