Monogram 1/72 B-52D

Thank you very much indeed again guys. Very very much appreciated.

Well I've hit a landmark today - I've finished all the assembly and the majority of the painting. I've still got one or two patches to attend to, but I'll do this over the next couple of days. I haven't yet glued the transparencies onto it.

But here we go... here's a lot of photos - the flash has made the zinc chromate come out a lot brighter than it actually is, so I tried to take one without the flash on. Also, it highlights the weathering I've done on the bombs a little bit too much... The camera flash is never very friendly to a model!!

In short, I've done the bomb racks, the undercarriage, the wing undercarriage and I've also touched up a few areas of paint that were getting on my nerves. I'm incredibly happy with the way that the flap bays have turned out. The weathering has come off exactly to the level that I was hoping to achieve.

Enjoy! Chris

DSC01251.jpg

DSC01252.jpg

DSC01255.jpg

DSC01257.jpg

DSC01258.jpg

DSC01259.jpg

DSC01261.jpg

DSC01260.jpg

DSC01262.jpg

DSC01269.jpg

Shut the front door - what a beast!

Ill bet the cat is still in hiding...

Youve done a really great job of it.

Thank you very much indeed - I'll be covering it in a couple of coats of Klear at some stage today, then put the decals on, and then another coat of Klear (I'm not sure as to whether or not to use a coat of Matt varnish as the B-52s I've seen generally look quite shiny!). And then, my final weapon - a dusting of Tamiya Smoke. Then it's complete and I can move back to models at a slightly more reasonable size!!!

Many thanks for your comments so far! Really very much appreciated!!

I'm not sure as to whether or not to use a coat of Matt varnish as the B-52s I've seen generally look quite shiny!

I saw some close up in the 80s and my recollection was that they were satin or eggshell finished. I think the paint might have been matt originally but may have been sprayed with anti-corrosion stuff like WD-40?

So... a decalling disaster has struck tonight.

I put the sharks mouth into the water, and it literally just fell apart... so as it stands, I'm going to have to order some after market decals for it now, as I can't use the original kit decals. I dread to think the state of the others though.

Maybe one of you kind souls out there has a spare 1/72 B-52 Shark mouth that they could send over to me please?

If not, I'll dig into my pockets and consult the oracle at Hannants instead!

Chris, this is looking seriously good. I particularly like the open engine covers.

Good luck with the search for aftermarket decals, with a bit of luck there may be something extra special out there.

Cheers

Cliff

I've got a set on order now from hannants - I found it a couple of nights ago and placed the order. The USAF writing on the right wing as well as suffered a bit of cracking, however, it is in place. I think a lot of clear is going to have to be used in order to try and cover up the silvering and damage! No rest for the wicked eh???

Hopefully by this time next week, it will be done. But now, we're waiting on Hannants to send it out - before I go off to Southampton for a week with work! Please let it happen!!!

And it's complete!!!

After numerous coats of klear, replacement Almark decals arriving from Hannants, another 2 coats of klear, some weathering (Tamiya Smoke!) and 2 coats of Matt varnish...

We're there!! Here she is in all her glory, I'll be posting the photos also in the ready for inspection thread on the forum too.

She'll be making an appearance at the Sutton Model Show on the 18th too.

I'm probably going to put another coat of Matt varnish on over the top as the effects of the the smoke have turned some areas a bit more glossy that I'd wanted it to be...

But anyway, enjoy the photos... I'll add them to the gallery ASAP!

Chris

DSC01274.jpg

DSC01271.jpg

DSC01270.jpg

DSC01275.jpg

DSC01281.jpg

DSC01280.jpg

DSC01283.jpg

DSC01286.jpg

DSC01287.jpg

DSC01290.jpg

DSC01291.jpg

DSC01292.jpg

DSC01293.jpg

DSC01294.jpg

DSC01295.jpg

DSC01296.jpg

DSC01296.jpg

DSC01297.jpg

DSC01298.jpg

It's bloody massive. I don't know what to do with it now...

Thank you very much though!!!!

It's going to dominate the table at Sutton - you'll be able to locate me just by the size of the tail!!!

I'll be able to locate you because I'll be sitting next to you (behind my Lanc).

With Don's Lancaster and you're B-52, I just wish I had the time to get to The Sutton show!

That's very, very impressive Chris!

Mark,

Thank you very much for your comments! I'll hopefully also be able to make Telford this year (I've requested the days off, whether rostering play ball or not will be seen in due time!), are you still intending to attend too?

I'm sure there'll be many photos from Sutton actually... I've just worked out that actually our back dated pay comes through just in time for the show. This could be highly dangerous...

Cheers!

Chris

It's going to dominate the table at Sutton - you'll be able to locate me just by the size of the tail!!!

Just like the real thing then. I remember when Dad was based at Bergstrom in the 70s, whenever we drove to base you could see the tailplanes from seemed like miles away. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Fantastic! I'm looking forward to seeing the Lanc already too... That was one hell of a build (thread creep coming on!)

We learn from each other here, I find. A little bit of mutual appreciation ain't so bad really, so long as we don't start 'gushing' like actors!

On the storing of your B-52, have you considered hanging it on the wall? Often a house has a large wall space out of the way of traffic. Maybe a stairwell or above a spare bed?

Have a look here, half way down the page.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75124

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem