Alaska Wall Sections

Damocles

I have been thinking of doing a bit of an Armour diorama of base in Iraq/Afghanistan using the perimeter wall as a key feature.

I have done a little research, and the walls come in many sizes and shapes. I have a set of Accurate Armours resin Alaska Wall sections, but in the quantities I am thinking of, it would be to expensive of an option.

I decided to take the plunge and make up my own wall sections, using the interlocking design.

First stage was to make moulds from plastic card then pour the sections using Plaster of Paris and glued together to make the master shape.

Next stage will be to fill a few cracks/chips, square come edges and then apply ‘Tamiya Diorama Textured Paint’ (Pavement Effect Light Gray) applied to a sample section to simulate concrete.

Once this is done I will make several rubber moulds and then cast away.

All comments are welcome.

Chris.

Alaska000.jpg

Alaska walls in Iraq.

Alaska001.jpg

Empty moulds

Alaska002.jpg

Moulds poured

Alaska003.jpg

Side view (a bit of a clean up needed)

Alaska004.jpg

From above

Alaska005.jpg

My Attempt vs. Accurate Armours Resin example

Alaska006.jpg

1/35 MIG figure for scale

Alaska007.jpg

The ‘Tamiya Diorama Textured Paint’ (Pavement Effect Light Gray) applied to a sample section to simulate concrete.

Edited by Damocles

Thanks BB, it is certainly back to basics and great fun !.

Update on the master. I am resonably happy with the end result, although I’m not convinced with the texture. I am going to make a new one up with a smoother finish.

Alaska008.jpg

Alaska009.jpg

Alaska010.jpg

Alaska011.jpg

Alaska012.jpg

Chris.

• 1 month later...

Update on progress of my Alaska Wall Sections. After several attempts at cutting perfect sections from plasticard, I gave up and got some plastic laser cut by PES (see scratchbuilding section). Whilst not 100% perfect, they are not far off and will meet my needs, and I want to progress this project as it has stood still for a while.

Some pictures below, as always comments are most welcome.

x4.jpguprights

x1.jpg

uprights with 1/35 figure for scale

x2.jpg

Close-up showing interlocking joint

x3.jpg

Close-up showing texture (texture got from placing 240 grit wet & dry sand paper on the inside of the mould.

All have been painted with ‘Faller - Grey Roadway Paint’, and a ‘Mig Dark Wash’ applied.

Chris.

Hi Chris,most impressive stuff going on there,and its given me some insight into how I can construct some for a project I have in mind.2 questions if I may,what dimensions are they,and does the plaster stick to the wet-n-dry in the mould?

Dave.

Jimbuna, thank you for your comments, they are very much apprecieated.

I was thinkning about the making moulds and casting topic, it must have been at least 25 years ago I got a scratchbuildig book by Verlinded (i think its in the garage somewhere, must dig it out) and it has only taken me this long to actually make and cast something. With a bit of trial and error, it is very rewarding

Alfisti

The biggest problem, I came across was making sure everyting is square, especially as these ones are interlocking. (the main reason I embarked on making my own, was that I got a resin set from Accurate Armour, and they were a little warped, and no matter how hard i tried, I could not line them up). I actually redesigned the mould last night, as there is a slight 'run-off' on the top of the last ones.

If you PM me with an email address, I will send you some drawings I got regarding sizes, but saying that there are more variations and size differences in the real items depending on where they where made, what factory them came out of and for what use they where needed, so exact accuracy is not essential. (the ones posted above are a slight 'what-if', with the innerface being slofed and not vertical, but this is specific to my project.

If you check out my post on laser cut plasticard in the scratchbuilding section, there is a picture witht the dimensions on it.

I used double sided tape to stick the wet-and dry to innerface of the mould, so it stuck fine and did not come off with the plaster. I trialed various wet & dry brands (normal sandpaper ripples with the moisture), and ended using one made by 'Decorators Choice', a bit of a budget brand from my local paint shop, but it was just right for what i wanted. One point of note, you need to make the mould so that it opens, as the wet-and dry texture will stop it from sliding out.

I will hopefully be getting my new mould parts within the week, and will cast some more. I am more than happy to send some across if you like.

Thanks,

Chris.

Edited by Damocles

Chris,

WOW !!! This is a FANTASTIC idea for a diorama..The figure is looking very good and

I think it is an INCREDIBLE scene that will look GREAT once you get going ..

I look forward to this ... MARVELOUS...Good work so far.Nice to see different genres of model making...

Keep up the great work..

HOUSTON :worthy:

Hi Houston,

The figure is straight out of the box. One of the new Evolution Miniatures SF Operators. Quality and detail are excellent, with just the hands and M4 to add.

Plan is to build up the walls leading to the main entrance gates with two OP's (updated MARS Sangars), one elevated and one surface mounted, with a command unit, ISO container and RAID Mast (comms and EO sensors) behind the wall. Walls will be topped with Razor wire and rocket cages around the MARS Sangars. Picture below of work to date, mainly the road sections leading to the gates.

P1020960.jpg

Chris.

Edited by Damocles

Just a quick update, on the concrete finish. I have settled for the bottom right, which is the Faller Grey Roadway pait with MIG Dark wash, left to soack fo a minute and them a sponge placed on top for a few seconds to soack up the excess.

Concretefinish.jpg

As always, any comments are welcome, particularly if you think the finish and colour looks right.

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by Damocles

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got the masters sorted out, rubber mould made up and casting commenced.

All in all, I am really pleased. Just have to let them dry off for a few more days, give them a coat of clear laquor to seal them and start the painting and weathering process.

Pictures are a little fuzzy, as they are from my phone camera.

castsections1.jpg

castsections2.jpg

castsections3.jpg

This will be the basic layout for my planned diorama.

Cheers,

Chris.

You've been busy Chris! They have come out really well.

Jon

Cheers folks,

It certainly does work out alot cheaper than the resin alternatives, and to be honest the texture and material also lend themselves to easier and more effective weathering.

If anyone is interetsed, just drop me a PM.

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris very kindly sent me samples of these sections,and I can confirm that they look very good.Well done Chris,and many thanks for sending them to me,I owe you a beer!

Dave.

No Problem at all Dave, and thanks for the PM. You are more than welcome.

You may wish to give the units a quick coat in some watered down wood glue to harden the outter surface a little, they can be a little brittle to the toutch.

I think I will have to go with some dental plaster next time.

Regards,

Chris.

http://www.militarymodelling.com/members/p...ile.asp?c=40025

I have to say i ordered a set of these from Chris and i cant recomend them highley enough.

cast detail is brilliant and each one is different.

they fit together well without any clean up.

a briiliant addition to any diorama or veh..

ive provided a link of my review on military modeling.

go on treat your self. nice item and brilliant value for money.follow the link and my review is under general modeling. bremer wall.....

thank you Chris.

Edited by viper-30

Not a great picture, the pigments need blended a little, and a matt coat applied, but a little update on progress so far.

xxxxx.jpg

This is the front outter wall section of my planned diorama, the R-0423 is the camp name. The damage to the wall will correspond with impact points on the diorama when complete, with a little smoke/ash pigment to be also applied in these areas.

Chris.

:thumbsup: Another happy owner of 12 of these beauties... they're very nice & I suspect my build of the Stryker in maintenance will be brought forward because of it :owww:

Thanks Chris ;)