Airfix 1/72 Martin B-26 Marauder

Thanks Wellzy. Pre-shading went on a couple of days ago:

PICT0615.jpg

PICT0614.jpg

It's a bit heavy I know, but the panel lines are very faint so I've got to try and generate some interest somehow. Xtracolour Neutral Grey went on next and then the masking for the uppers.

PICT0616.jpg

I've had variable success with the next bit, so wish me luck!

Andy

That pre-shading has worked really well Andy. The technique seems to particularly suit OD for some reason.

Looking forward to seeing it finished in all its glory!

Cliff

(And yet I can't help thinking that in that colour and with that fuselage shape she looks rather like a flying jobbie!)

:rofl: Now that's just plain mean, funny tho !. Like Cliff says, that has come out very nicely, which brand of paint did you use ?, looks spot-on to me for the brown based tone of OD.

Ian

Thanks guys (not you Don - you know why). I've used Xtracrylix for this build - Neutral Grey, Olive Drab and Faded Olive Drab thinned with a little Winsor & Newton Acrylic Flow Improver, which seemed to work quite nicely. I must say it does seem a little brown but I don't want to start a discussion on this else we'll be here all year, if other forums are anything to go by.

The Extradecal decals went on nicely - all 13 of them. Then it was straight on with some weathering; an oil colour panel line wash and some overall dry brushing to lift out the raised detail and suggest a bit of fading:

PICT0621.jpgPICT0620.jpg

Better pictures will be forthcoming, I promise. Next up, an all over oil dot-and-drag weathering.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks guys (not you Don - you know why).

Next up, an all over oil dot-and-drag weathering.

Cheers

Andy

Sorry Dude!

Mr Hanky is really looking good now the transfers are on. Will you show us how to do that dot/drag stuff. I've only seen it on tanks so far.

Aaaargh! :wall: Just when you think you're on top of things life comes along and kicks you in the nadgers :rant:

Sorry. Progress has slowed to a crawl due to lookingafterasicklychild duties, right at the time when I'm most vulnerable to losing interest i.e. at the addingallthelastlittlefiddlybits stage.

Hmmm, my words seem to have started to run together; I think I'll go and have a lie down.

More photos soon (fingers crossed)

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Don. Almost all of the little fiddly bits are now on. Once you get used to them the Eduard gun barrels work well. The secret is to get them approximately cylindrical around a suitable piece of rod and then give them a high pressure rolling on a hard surface. The Squadron transparencies are nice and tough to the point where I was able to 'nibble' round the curves with sprue cutters. And so far I have only broken off one small part in the process.

Some general pics

PICT0641.jpg

PICT0636.jpg

PICT0637.jpg

PICT0643.jpg

As you will notice, it's fallen to Leading Aircraftman It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong to do some last minute tinkering in the bomb bay so that: a). the aircraft doesn't explode in midair and b.) the damn thing doesn't sit on its tail despite all the blasted weight I've stuffed in the front :rant:

Oh well, a few more bits and then it's done. Bye for now

Andy

Edited by It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong
  • Like 1

As you will notice, it's fallen to Leading Aircraftman It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong to do some last minute tinkering in the bomb bay so that: a) the aircraft doesn't explode in midair and the damn thing doesn't sit on its tail despite all the blasted weight I've stuffed in the front :rant:

Andy

What a brilliant way around the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

As is my usual practice, I've left it to the last day to put in my final update. I've reached the stage now where every time I tinker with it I knock something off, so it's time to stop.

I wouldn't change much if I did another one. The main thing would be to put more weight in the radio room - you can't see in there so there's no point in detailing it. The reason this one has ended up as a tail sitter is that I forgot about the forward rake of the undercarriage - that's how finely balanced it is.

The other thing I would do is leave the bomb load out. I'm a big fan of fitting as much ordnance as possible, but these bombs aren't all that good and they just obscure the nice detail in the bay.

The AM parts behaved impeccably. The glazing is a must if you want to see inside, the etch makes a big difference all over (especially when you get the gun barrels right) and the resin adds a bit of finesse for relatively little expense.

Now it's time to concentrate on the Dakota. Let's see if I've learned anything...

Andy