Twin Otter "Argentina Air Force - Falklands/Malvinas 82"

Hi

I´m starting this 1:72 Twin Otter from Argentina Air Force. I have the intention to make the "T-82" involved in a mission of rescue and evacuation of a pilot shot down over the islands during the conflict.

3a0757c227.jpg

I like Matchbox models and this seems quite acceptable.

2fd59dff93.jpg

• Like 1

Well done for undertaking this interesting project. I am (very slowly!) starting my own series of builds of aircraft which participated in the Falklands War, mainly Argentine types since that country employed a wider variety. The Twin Otter is on my list but since AFAIK there is no 1/48 kit of it, or a conversion set, it's not a priority. Does that Aerocalcas decal set cover the Twin Otter specifically? I didn't know it existed. I have a couple of Aerocalcas sets myself, covering other types such as the Mirage III in 1/48.

Keep us updated on your progress!

Regards, Tony

Does that Aerocalcas decal set cover the Twin Otter specifically? I didn't know it existed.

The decal sheet number 72021 brings decals for the Mentor, the Twin Otter and for the UH-1 heli.

Unfortunately the owner of Aerocalcas died last year and the decals are not in production any more.

72021.jpg

Hi

This looks interesting, I didn't know that the Twin Otter was involved in that conflict. I shall enjoy watching this progress.

Roger

Luis this is a fantastic idea for a build and the work you've done on it so far has been amazing, please keep those pictures and updates coming.

Cheers

This is looking very good, I do like the T'wotter I hadn't realised the FAA used the yet another interesting colour scheme. The kit is one of the good Matchbox kit's what a shame they went under. This is one I built it's used by NASA for Icing trials. I have another one in the stash that I intend to build as a NOAA one. Keep up the good work! :)

DSC01548.jpg

DSC01551.jpg

John

ive got the revell repop of this kit and im going to try and recreate this one..

0702930.jpg

cause i used to work on this very aircraft and even flew her once...with Brymons chief pilot in the other seat!!

steve

Steve, that photo brings back memories for me. Many years ago I made the Matchbox Twin Otter in that Brymon scheme (albeit G-BGMD), as the first - and as it proved, only - part of a planned 'Scilly Aviation' collection.

Luis, great work on your Twin Otter - I'm following with interest. As I recall, the biggest issue with the kit seems to be the base of the windscreen which curves up :) , whereas I think it should turn down :( . I ended up using 'trompe l'oeil' (i.e. a bit of black paint!) in an attempt to recreate this on my Brymon plane.

Cheers

Cliff

Hi Steve

The letters on the tail I masked up and painted. For the others I managed to track down some italic Letraset (dry transfer) sheets. Not a perfect font, but OK. Had to mess around reversing the decals in order to get the backward sloping italic on the starboard side (easy with an I or an H - not at all easy with a G).

If I was doing it today though I would print my own on my inkjet printer. There's a flip function in Microsoft Paint which allows you to create reverse italics - again it won't work immediately for all letters. For the G therefore I'd probably flip an italic C and then add a thin strip of decal when it's on the plane to convert it to a G.

Very happy to discuss further by PM if you'd like to (to avoid any risk of being accused of highjacking Luis' thread!).

Cliff

The cockpit almost done.

to30.jpg

to31.jpg

As I recall, the biggest issue with the kit seems to be the base of the windscreen which curves up :) , whereas I think it should turn down :( . I ended up using 'trompe l'oeil' (i.e. a bit of black paint!) in an attempt to recreate this on my Brymon plane.

Cliff, like you said the windscreens are the worst of this kit.

• Like 1