New Harrier SIG website address

Doug

As a member of the Harrier SIG and one of the authors of the material that go on the Harrier SIG site I would suggest (but feel free to discuss) that the material on the Harrier SIG website is accessed from there and not embedded in BM. When we update it, we will not be going around all the sites that have copied the material in order to update it. When people go to the Harrier SIG site, they can be sure they are seeing the latest material.

I was discussing with Nick about building a specific SHar from Operation Corporate, and Nick kindly e-mailed me with some info relating to it, which he said he was happy for me to put up on Britmodeller. I completely agree with you re: the issue with constantly updating any info, but I think the intention was that it would be to help people during this Group Build, and not to provide an ongoing source of the latest Harrier info, which the Harrier SIG already excellently provides on an ongoing basis. I'll hold off on putting it up for a few days, if I've heard noting to the contrary I'll try and post it up.

It's just pdf build guides for the Airfix SHar and GR3, and some diagrams. :)

Doug - in that instance, I'm sure it'll be fine. I jumped the gun a little :banghead:

Nick will no doubt chip in and confirm. The build notes are indeed worth using if you're an inexperienced builder of harriers (like me!).

Graham, Doug and UK 1st Generation Harrier builders in 1:48th and 1:24th scale,

This link may help you all out... http://harriersig.org.uk/models/index.htm for secured pdfs of the various build notes I've produced.

Before you ask...

Revell/Hasegawa 1:48th scale Harrier GR.Mk9 build notes are work in progress and will be provided to SIG members first. They probably will not be completed before the end of this GB. Instead I recommend you read Alan Firbank's recent build article in the June 2011 issue of 'Airfix Model World' magazine.

For how to get the best from Airfix's new 1:72nd scale Harrier GR.Mk9 kit I recommend you read Harrier SIG member Stu Fone's review of the new kit in the same issue of Airfix Model World.

For an idea of what it was like to fly the Harrier GR.Mk9 over Afghanistan as part of Op Herrick, Lt Cdr James Blackmore's excellent article in the same magazine will explain what the men and women who flew UK Joint Force Harriers from Kandahar AFB went through, putting your replica in context.

Happy Harrier modelling!

Cheers,

Nick

That's really good of you Nick, thanks very much for that! The Harrier is a very popular subject on here, so I'm sure we'll benefit from all this intel on building the kits.

Graham - No problem, I know Nick and all you guys on the Harrier SIG are rightfully proud and protective of what you've achieved over there.

Edited by Doug Rogers

• 4 months later...

Now al it needs is for the payment method to come into the 2000s and accept paypal. Only accepting cheques and cash is all a bit 1980s and completely useless for those of us in other parts of the world who would love to be a member but have no practical way to pay.

Happy to pay more for a paypal option to cover any fees. Half the world uses paypal, it's 2011 after all, not 1981.

Now al it needs is for the payment method to come into the 2000s and accept paypal. Only accepting cheques and cash is all a bit 1980s and completely useless for those of us in other parts of the world who would love to be a member but have no practical way to pay.

Happy to pay more for a paypal option to cover any fees. Half the world uses paypal, it's 2011 after all, not 1981.

Phil, speaking as a Harrier SIG member, I'm sorry that becoming a member is not as simple for you as you would like. Colin, the Treasurer of SIG, is not a member of BM so he cannot reply to your comment on here, but I think I can summarise the situation on his behalf ...

... the SIG is not a commercial organisation, though it does charge a subscription fee to cover costs of producing items and hosting a website of information for the benefit of the membership. As such, a decision was taken early on that things would be kept simple, hence an (easily transferable) UK bank account and cheques in £ Stirling or cash in $ or Euros as can be converted at no cost when travelling. With around only 10% of the membership overseas, it seems to work. At less than £150 per year income, Paypal and similar systems are not viable. If a Paypal account etc. is set up then a percentage of the subs is lost to administration fees to those organisations. Also, transfer of Treasury role involves more administration. If payment by the above routes is a problem then please contact Colin via the SIG website to see what can be done. If all else fails, PM me to get my paypal details, pay me as a gift and then I'll get your subscription money to Colin.

Hope that helps?

Hi Graham,

Thank you for explaining the situation for Phil and others while I've been away.

Hi Phil,

What Graham says about why the Harrier SIG doesn't operate PayPal is correct. We try and make sure that members get the benefits of their fees going back to them one way or another without our having to pay fees to an organisation like PayPal. The way we have set up our bank account it is free. We currently have overseas members in Argentina, Brazil, Finland, France, Italy, Norway and the USA. We have had members in Australia, Germany, The Netherlands, New Zealand, and Singapore in the past too. Our 2002 vintage payment system hasn't stopped anyone from overseas joining so far or been cited as a reason why they have left us. Your's is the second query about PayPal payment routes we've had this year; the other person joined and is paying without difficulty. If we were being inundated by people wishing to join who wanted to pay via PayPal, then we'd have to reconsider. Quite simply we aren't so there's no need to. We can operate well enough without PayPal, having legal and useful ways of converting overseas currencies into GBP.

If you have any further queries about joining the Harrier SIG, please either drop me a PM or e-mail me directly via the link on the Contacts page of the SIG's website; thank you.

Best wishes,

Nick