Hawker Hunter STGB

I know that 4 sqn. used the FR 10, did they ever use 4's or 5's in their markings?

If so, does anyone have a reliable scheme for such an airframe?

Hi Velociweiler,

I’m no Hunter expert but the following is what I have read.

According to Gunther Kipp & Roger Lindsay’s “RAF Hunters in Germany”, 4 Squadron operated F.4’s from July 1955 until February 1957 when it was replaced by the F.6. This same source also lists the serial numbers(and code letters on the tail fin where known!) assigned to the squadron. If your interested I could list them for you: some 25 in total.

Squadron Markings “…were applied each side of the fuselage roundel, on the centre line. A motif was also placed “…on each side of the nose, beneath the cockpit. Code letters on the fin were “…yellow, and later white, above and behind the fin flash, probably repeated on the nose wheel door, colour unknown.”

From “Hunter Squadrons of the RAF and FAA” by Richard L Ward, they were finished in the normal camo scheme for that time period of gloss Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey uppers with undersides in gloss Aluminium(silver).

I’m not sure what decals are available. However, at least in 1/48 if all else fails, Eagle Strike Productions include some 4 Squadron markings(including the motif for the nose) on their decal sheet for the RAF Sabre which could possibly be used(Hannants have some). Obviously serial numbers would have to be sourced elsewhere.

I can’t post any photos but I hope this helps.

Mark

EDIT: See Post#12 by Bill Clark. He has kindly set up a link to a site about RAF Jever where 4 Squadron Hunter F.4 serial numbers are listed amongst other info.

Edited by Smark

i wasnt going to do any more GB's but after the Lightning im working on i had planned to do a 1/48 Hunter F6 in 74sqn Tiger markings, so can i join with that please

Sounds nice mark, got to love 74 sqn markings :thumbsup: Welcome aboard.

Hi Velociweiler,

I’m no Hunter expert but the following is what I have read.

According to Gunther Kipp & Roger Lindsay’s “RAF Hunters in Germany”, 4 Squadron operated F.4’s from July 1955 until February 1957 when it was replaced by the F.6. This same source also lists the serial numbers(and code letters on the tail fin where known!) assigned to the squadron. If your interested I could list them for you: some 25 in total.

Squadron Markings “…were applied each side of the fuselage roundel, on the centre line. A motif was also placed “…on each side of the nose, beneath the cockpit. Code letters on the fin were “…yellow, and later white, above and behind the fin flash, probably repeated on the nose wheel door, colour unknown.”

From “Hunter Squadrons of the RAF and FAA” by Richard L Ward, they were finished in the normal camo scheme for that time period of gloss Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey uppers with undersides in gloss Aluminium(silver).

I’m not sure what decals are available. However, at least in 1/48 if all else fails, Eagle Strike Productions include some 4 Squadron markings(including the motif for the nose) on their decal sheet for the RAF Sabre which could possibly be used(Hannants have some). Obviously serial numbers would have to be sourced elsewhere.

I can’t post any photos but I hope this helps.

Mark

EDIT: See Post#12 by Bill Clark. He has kindly set up a link to a site about RAF Jever where 4 Squadron Hunter F.4 serial numbers are listed amongst other info.

Thanks for that - very much appreciated. I'll be doing one but it won't be for the group build - I'm already going to be building a Dutch two-seater. But I do have the relevant decals from a Hunter sheet and for some reason I prefer the look of the earlier Hunters.

Can't wait for this one to start! I'm on the track now, feet well placed in the starting blocks, and it's 'Ready!'.... 'Set!.... Oh bugger, still three weeks to go! But that's plenty of time for me late Xmas Pressie to myself to get here from Fisher Models!

I've got a new Academy F6

Where'd you get that from then? ;)

Edited by Busdriver

Well I have just bought an 1/48 Aeroclub F6, going to need some advice doing this as I'm a virgin vacformer!!

Going to do a mid/late '60's 63 Squadron F6 from Chivenor, it was my Dads last squadron before leaving the RAF, and i'm going to dedicate it to him as it will be the 20th Anniversary of his death on 12 Feb, 6 days before the start of the GB, so seems fitting as he was a very experienced Hunter Armourer.

Also just picked up a cheap 1/72 Revell FGA9 from Hannants so will probably do this alongside the Aeroclub.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by SimonR

Well I have just bought an 1/48 Aeroclub F6, going to need some advice doing this as I'm a virgin vacformer!!

Going to do a mid/late '60's 63 Squadron F6 from Chivenor, it was my Dads last squadron before leaving the RAF, and i'm going to dedicate it to him as it will be the 20th Anniversary of his death on 12 Feb, 6 days before the start of the GB, so seems fitting as he was a very experienced Hunter Armourer.

Also just picked up a cheap 1/72 Revell FGA9 from Hannants so will probably do this alongside the Aeroclub.

Cheers

Simon

Just a thought Simon, and maybe thinking back to the T8 I built a few years back, the only let down on the kit was maybe the main wheel wells. Just because they're vac-formed and part of the lower wing mould. IF I had another Aeroclub Hunter I'd most likely use a resin replacement. Dunno whether thw undercarriage would fit - but I'd get it to work somehow!

Just a thought Simon, and maybe thinking back to the T8 I built a few years back, the only let down on the kit was maybe the main wheel wells. Just because they're vac-formed and part of the lower wing mould. IF I had another Aeroclub Hunter I'd most likely use a resin replacement. Dunno whether thw undercarriage would fit - but I'd get it to work somehow!

Morning Bill,

Kit arrived yesterday, not had chance to have a really good look at it yet in daylight, but not quite so daunted now i've seen it. But yes, wheel wells are not the best, I think Airies do a resin set if I can stretch to it i'll replace the kit parts - also wondering if a Neomega cockpit would fit??

Just one other question, from what I could tell there's a lack of panel line detail on the fuselage - did you re-scribe or leave it as is?

Cheers

Simon

I might change my planned build as I managed to get hold of a set of painting instructons and decals for the Miss Demeanour Hunter

southport.jpg

for the 1:32 Revell Hunter. So as soon as I get my hands on the Revell kit I'll be all set!!!

This starts on my birthday! :D

A dead lap-top means I can't promise to contribute a detailed In-progress report but assure you all there will be at least one Hunter on the bench while this is going.

The Postman has arrived!!! Thanks to Paul Fisher, Flightpath, Revell and my credit card I will be doing three Hunters.

1. RAF T.Mk.7

2. RAF Single Seater (exact subject to be decided)

3. Swiss Air Force 'Papyrus' Hunter

All 1/32nd.

Only ten days to go!! :)

Edited by Busdriver

The Postman has arrived!!! Thanks to Paul Fisher, Flightpath, Revell and my credit card I will be doing three Hunters.

1. RAF T.Mk.7

2. RAF Single Seater (exact subject to be decided)

3. Swiss Air Force 'Papyrus' Hunter

All 1/32nd.

Only ten days to go!! :)

Three? Thats just greedy! ;-)

Morning Bill,

Kit arrived yesterday, not had chance to have a really good look at it yet in daylight, but not quite so daunted now i've seen it. But yes, wheel wells are not the best, I think Airies do a resin set if I can stretch to it i'll replace the kit parts - also wondering if a Neomega cockpit would fit??

Just one other question, from what I could tell there's a lack of panel line detail on the fuselage - did you re-scribe or leave it as is?

Cheers

Simon

I re-scribed - I'll get it out of storage over the weekend, clean her up a bit and post some new pic's on here I think...Take care when removing the plastic upper wings, they sould be a snug fit - with the injection moulded plastic leqading edges and wing tips. I 'll see if I can get my hands on one of these - I reckon with new wheel wells, and a resin seat and maybe even one of John's plastic/white metal tailpipe set will give you a better looking 1/48th scale Hunter!

I might change my planned build as I managed to get hold of a set of painting instructons and decals for the Miss Demeanour Hunter

for the 1:32 Revell Hunter. So as soon as I get my hands on the Revell kit I'll be all set!!!

The 1:32 Revell Hunter arrived yesterday so now I think I'm all set for the GB whopeeee!