Concorde STGB

Yea!

Lets all get the concordes out after christmas!

My daughter has a small revell snap kit to complete for this GB.

Me, Im after some Revell 144 and Ill do a BA, not sure what, and maybe a proposed B version....

I'm in :)

Still havent decided for sure yet but a BA red tail will be a probable and maybe a Braniff WI version

I'm definatly up for a build of a most beautiful bird, might spoil her lines a bit and do a dropped nose though for some variety :rolleyes: .

Great, I also have 2 of the 1/72 Airfix kits, one will be a BA final scheme and the other as a QANTAS What-If. I dont expect to get both finished. The BA build will be wheels up as well.

Edited by TrojanThunder

Great idea!

Can I play too? How about F-WTSB in 1/144 in the joint BA/AF livery used for the JFK proving flights in late 1977. It had BA's red tail on the port side and AF's barcode logo on the starboard side.

Phil.

• 4 months later...

There's some very interesting work going on there, Alexei. Is it described anywhere? I see that you've shortened the screen, moved the gear forward and reduced the height of the nose gear. What is the modification to the port fuselage?

Cheers, Kirk.

There's some very interesting work going on there, Alexei.

Thanks

Is it described anywhere?

It was, but in Russian

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12854

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_29465.html

I see that you've shortened the screen, moved the gear forward and reduced the height of the nose gear.

Filled the windows that are way too large - will use custom decal instead as the windows in 1:72 are smaller than in average 1:144 kit - something about 1x2 mm, rebuilt tail bump wheel well - kit has nothing in common with reality

What is the modification to the port fuselage?

The belly is far too wide - compare Revell 1:144 (that is reasonably accurate)

IMG_1338.jpg

with Airfix 1:72

IMG_1337.jpg

Off-topic ? ;)

Thanks

It was, but in Russian

Filled the windows that are way too large - will use custom decal instead as the windows in 1:72 are smaller than in average 1:144 kit - something about 1x2 mm, rebuilt tail bump wheel well - kit has nothing in common with reality

The belly is far too wide - compare Revell 1:144 (that is reasonably accurate)

with Airfix 1:72

Off-topic ? ;)

Your comment can't really be off topic as the thread is about a Concorde group build and you asked the question as to whether your partially complete model could be included. If anything it is me who continues to take on to discussing your model. But I've started now, so...

Thanks for the links. I speak no Russian (except "da", which is useless for ordering beer) but think got the gist of some of your progress.

One thing I notice is that the cockpit door frame would appear to be much too far forward; aft of the flight engineer's panel there are avionics racks on both sides which appear to be of similar length to the engineer's panel. I don't know if any of the cockpit is actually visible through the transparency, but if so it seems like a worthwhile amendment to extend the floor, move the door frame back and add the missing racks (and supernumary seats).

Shame about the passenger windows, eh? I can't think of any other way to slightly reduce them all in size. The instructions show glazing them with Clearfix though I saw a model (Andy Mullen's, perhaps?) where the modeller said this was a non-starter and used PVA instead. I wonder if a PVA "window" would take a small tape mask which could be removed after painting.

From your web pages, I couldn't really get a sense of how much you have to shorten the windscreen. Did you just sit the kit part at a more upright angle and fill the space in front of it?

Belly width observation is also very interesting. By how much did you reduce the width overall?

Cheers,

Kirk

(Who has an Airfix 1:72 in the stash, which is destined to become Alpha Delta one day long after the group build has finished)

Edited by Kirk

I don't know if any of the cockpit is actually visible through the transparency

Not much, so I made almost no modifications to the cockpit, although the kit's content is a pure fantasy. I only added belts to the seats and wire "horns".

Shame about the passenger windows, eh?

If only windows....

I can't think of any other way to slightly reduce them all in size. The instructions show glazing them with Clearfix though I saw a model (Andy Mullen's, perhaps?) where the modeller said this was a non-starter and used PVA instead. I wonder if a PVA "window" would take a small tape mask which could be removed after painting.

Nah - the result will be poor. One may take some ideas from this thread -

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewto...59_start_0.html

he filled the windows with clear epoxy then sanded them down, polished and masked. He also tries to imitate the "flatness" of the window strip. In my opinion the efforts don't worth the resut - the windows are too small, so I go with decals

From your web pages, I couldn't really get a sense of how much you have to shorten the windscreen.

14 mm

Did you just sit the kit part at a more upright angle and fill the space in front of it?

That was the plan, but the original part cracked so I made a new visor using CD case cover

Belly width observation is also very interesting. By how much did you reduce the width overall?

almost 10 mm both sides. The guy in the link above has chosen different path, that gives better results - I may rethink my approach - it's not too late

(Who has an Airfix 1:72 in the stash, which is destined to become Alpha Delta one day long after the group build has finished)

I'm building Alpha-Delta :) Also have almost completed F-WTSB in sharktail livery and completed AA - both in 1:144. Also thinking of building the first British prototype conversion from airfix kit in 144

Edited by Pin

Not much, so I made almost no modifications to the cockpit, although the kit's content is a pure fantasy. I only added belts to the seats and wire "horns".

Kit is not too bad; the few parts that are supplied appear to be representations of the real thing but I think a number of things are missing. I agree that the yoke is very overscale.

If only windows....

You don't have a list of potential improvements do you?

Nah - the result will be poor. One may take some ideas from this thread -

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewto...59_start_0.html

he filled the windows with clear epoxy then sanded them down, polished and masked. He also tries to imitate the "flatness" of the window strip. In my opinion the efforts don't worth the resut - the windows are too small, so I go with decals

Inspiring thread that one. Wish I could speak Russian to follow what he's done.

Makes me think that you could fill the entire window area as he has done (but in opaque resin) then deal with the flattening of the window area before re-drilling smaller windows? Not sure the resin implant would hold though.

14 mm

Woah!! That really quite an error. More than a metre at full scale...

almost 10 mm both sides. The guy in the link above has chosen different path, that gives better results - I may rethink my approach - it's not too late

Again, this seems a really large error. Someone was having quite an off-day. You'd have thought of any aircraft, this would be the one to get spot on.

I'm building Alpha-Delta :) Also have almost completed F-WTSB in sharktail livery and completed AA - both in 1:144. Also thinking of building the first British prototype conversion from airfix kit in 144

I'm looking forward to watching all these models coming together. Have you been following what has been going on with Alpha Charlie up in Manchester? Such a shame the plug (quite literally) got pulled.

Thanks to pin, I now have a Heller bird on it's way to me and I just hope Ray @ 2/6 will do my decals............. Watch this space Kevin, you and your doors have nothing on me LMAO

Edited by cuprar