scribing tool help

Monty Python

I'm looking for a new scribing tool and saw Hannants carry both Tamiya and Trumpeter ones. Are these any good and if so, which is best? Any others to think about?

TIA

Chris

I suppose it would be better at the job it was designed for, scribing metal. I got the same one and never had any of the problems mentioned in the reviews

Edited by chadders
  • Like 1

I suppose it would be better at the job it was designed for, scribing metal. I got the same one and never had any of the problems mentioned in the reviews

cool. i tried ebay after seeing that but many times more expensive.

that ones in my price range. i need some soon for a airfrix strikemaster rescribe

I have one as well.

Admittedly I didn't buy from Amazon, I "Borrowed" it from my former employer (which reminds me... I'll have to get round to taking it back. :whistle: ).

Probably a better quality (professional grade?) one.

Scribing tools that I know are available;

Engineers scriber - cheap, but a little limited for most modellers.

Tamiya Scriber / Olfa 450 - Good little tool, replaceable blades, reasonable price blades are cheap, olfas sell well.

Olfa 800 - larger version of the olfa 450, good for very large jobs.

Hasagawa / Trumpeter Scriber - Similar hooked blade to the olfa tools. But fixed blade, so once damaged or blunt needs sharpening or replacing.

Trumpeter looks the same as the Hasagawa, but at less than half the price, so sells very well.

Bare metal foil scriber - one piece metal scriber, hand finisheds, so each one is slightly different profile, mid price but consistent seller.

Mission Model Scribing set. Set of three different width tools to fit the Mission model handle. Reasonably high price, but you do get three.

This is the only one that gives a 'square' groove rather than a V shaped one.

Not currently available (I can't get a date when the next batch will be manufactured).

RB Productions - Photo etched blade for small craft knife with a hooked blade, similar to the Trumpeter scriber.

I have Model Craft stainless steel probe set. i havnt tried making panel lines with them, but have tried using them in already engraved panel lines. they cut through nicely. only problem is i do not have one of those flexible metal rulers for panel scribing!!

Here's my scribing arsenal put together in the quest to find the perfect scribing tool:

IMG_0254.jpg

From left to right:

i) Engineer's scriber - rather blunt and not much good on plastic.

ii) Bare Metal Scriber - not bad at all really, does an OK job.

iii) Squadron Scriber (I think?) - very similar to the Bare Metal one, but the point has been ground to a more acute point.

iv) Tamiya (Olfa) Scriber - far and away the best scriber for doing straight lines. Makes a really nice neat line, but pretty useless for scribing curves.

v) UMM-USA Scriber - probably the best all-round scriber I have. You'll note it has two points - a curved "hook" scribe, and on the other end a straight edge scribe.

vi) Trumpeter Scriber - I believe this is the same as the Hasegawa one. Not bad at all, gets the job done.

vii) Sewing needle in a pin vice - probably the only way to scribe tight curves and shapes. Doesn't make a particularly neat line.

I'd say the scribing tools I'd not want to be without are the Tamiya Scriber, UMM-USA Scriber, and the sewing needle in a pin vice.

Add the Hasegawa Trytool to the list. Available in 3 widths, and quite sharp and looks like the Trupy one. I use mine sometimes for very skinny lines.

There's also the UMM (?) scriber, which has multiple edges, some of which are a bit crap (too sharp & gougy), but the long blade is quite useful for extending lost panel lines on round things. Probably tricky to get hold of in the UK, as they're sold in the US. it's also a recipe for a hole in your hand, as whichever end you hold it, there's a blade digging into your palm :owww:

Ok, Nick's been busy in the meantime :rolleyes:

My personal preference is the BMF scriber for the majority of work. :shrug:

For medium to heavy (and long) straight lines: Olfa P-cutter

for more refined lines and shallow curves as well as short straigt lines: RB Productions PE scriber (VERY good tool!)

for re-touching panel lines and scribing aroung curved surfaces (like fuselages): Hasegawa Trytool razor scribers (like a very thin razor saw, I also use these to make cuts with very minimal loss of plastic)

for everything else where the above tools don't work (tight curves, scribing with templates etc.): sharp sewing needle in pin vice

Edited by JeffreyK

• 5 years later...

Well I just ordered one from the link thanks...£1.72 p&p free, got to be worth that!

FWIW, since the Mission Models scribers are now discontinued, GSI Creos do a similar tool:

http://hlj.com/product/GNZGT65/

It has replaceable blades of different, precise widths. Sort of like a precision version of an Olfa P-Cutter/Tamiya scribing tool, but the cutting head is flat on the bottom so it cuts a precise, square channel.

They also have a needle tip for it, for scribing curves.