Harvard Trainer kit?

Maxus

Hi all,

A few years back I had the pleasure of taking a flight in the passenger seat of a Harvard in full yellow training livery - had anybody ever produced a kit of this variant?

Thanks muchly!

Hi all,

A few years back I had the pleasure of taking a flight in the passenger seat of a Harvard in full yellow training livery - had anybody ever produced a kit of this variant?

Thanks muchly!

Airfix Academy and Heller in 1/72.

Also a semi-snap kit by Hobbyboss, and another by Italeri - I'm unsure of the provenance, and a very simple Hawk/Testors SNJ dating from the 50s, I believe.

In 1/48 there are Occidental, Italeri and Monogram.

EDIT: Sorry, these are SNJ's and Texans but should be able to be modified to Harvard standard.

Edited by k5054nz

Hi all,

Thanks muchly!

I have seen somewhere a resin conversion ,. with complete new fuselarge parts , cannot for the life of me rember who produces it.

Regards

ROGERD

In 1/48th scale The Occidental kit comes as both T-6 Texan and Harvard boxings. The only differences are the canopies and decals. You can't do a Harvard fron a T-6 boxing and vice versa. The Italeri re-pop is AFAIK only good for the T-6.

The venerable Monogram/Revell kit can do both but depends on the boxing as to whether the Harvard canopy is present. you need to see the contents before purchase.

I'm doing one at the moment and it is a nice kit for its age.

I have seen somewhere a resin conversion ,. with complete new fuselarge parts , cannot for the life of me rember who produces it.

Regards

ROGERD

I think MDC do a conversion set.

Mick

In 1/48th scale The Occidental kit comes as both T-6 Texan and Harvard boxings. The only differences are the canopies and decals. You can't do a Harvard fron a T-6 boxing and vice versa. The Italeri re-pop is AFAIK only good for the T-6.

The venerable Monogram/Revell kit can do both but depends on the boxing as to whether the Harvard canopy is present. you need to see the contents before purchase.

I'm doing one at the moment and it is a nice kit for its age.

Thanks for the lead - I'd rather take this route as conversions are little daunting - just getting back into the hobby.

• 7 years later...

Be careful about just which example you flew in (a photo will help - or do you have its identity?), because you can make some Harvards from a Texan kit.  The final part of the canopy, behind the second pilot, is the key difference, and a longer version was fitted to the Mk.I (forget it) and the Mk.IIB built in Canada.  Many of the kits available are for T-6Ds ( which means Harvard Mks II, IIA and III) or postwar T-6Gs/Harvard Mk.4s which are different in other ways, but can be modified to look like earlier Harvards.  I believe that the majority of the current flying versions in the UK and elsewhere (at least outside of Canada) are T-6s of some kind, so you would be safe with most T-6 kits.  Differences are the canopy, the exhaust, spinner or not, aerials and tailwheel.  Pretty small beer except the rear section of the canopy.

The T-6 family has an amazing number of variations, but as you are talking about a current warbird in RAF Yellow, that simplifies the matter immensely.

• Like 1

There's a Kitty Hawk 1/32 T-6 in the Trainers GB now.

I've built the Monogram 1/48 T-6/SNJ. Builds well, good detail, but some basic modeling skills are required. I did replace the IP canopy with a vac canopy from Squadron, the seats with Lion Roar PE, and made belts from flattened solder. Iliad Designs has a sheet, 48010, "Texans and Harvards", with RAF WW2 markings that I'll use for one or two of the other boxen in my stash.

But, as noted above, if you want to build the aircraft you flew in, first find out what variant it is. Many restored and/or flying WW2 aircraft have "incorrect" parts, markings, and color schemes.