Of all the models you have built over the years...

Great models guys!

I'd have to say my favourite of all time was the old Monogram 1/48 Tomcat in the sundowners scheme! The smell of glue, the sound of the Top Gun sound track on cassette as I made it.......................the misreading of the colour chart and resulting orange Phoenix missiles - AWESOME!

i guess for me it would be the F/A-18C I built last.this year... Academy 1/72 kit with Eduard PE... (I actually like the Dragonfly but know the weatehring is a little OTT)....

Right-side-small.jpg

top-right-small.jpg

Dragonfly:

_MG_0280-01.jpg

Edited by robw_uk

Blue Max Bristol M1C. Although a bit of the dreaded wing ripple was present but under a bit of primer and paint is not so evident. And besides, it's not going in any competitions.

Had a bit of a break from models for about 22 years so I don't have any pics of the last model I built and my favourite.... it was a General Dynamics F16A Fighting Falcon in 1/72 by airfix (kit 04025) and it went together really nicely and looked far better than any of my other models.

I was only 12 and all my models were done on a tiny budget and painted with a hairy stick (couldn't afford an airbrush) but for this one I must have had a bit of extra pocket money because I used the exact airfix paints specified and they were slightly thinner, so I had to do several thin coats of paint and take my time.... this made a huge difference to the finish and taught me the value of taking my time.

She hung from my bedroom ceiling with all the other models (yeah I know just a bit cliched!) for a short while before I moved rooms and she went into a box - no idea what my parents did with all my old models when they moved house.... as they are hoarders I suspect they are all carefully wrapped and in a box somewhere in the garage of their new place..... hmmm that gives me an idea!

TFB

My favourite is the Tamiya 1/35 remote control Chieftain. I built it when I was about 15, and it literally fell together. The best part, though, is the remote control wired into the back of the tank on a longish lead. Twin motors in the model, and two levers on the control, one for each track, with three positions (forward/stop/reverse). Driving it round the house and chasing the cat was great fun!

We went to Florida when I was about 16 and on a trip to Kennedy Space Centre I bought a 1:72 scale shuttle, tank and SRB kit. Got into bother with the airline on the way home as I took it on as cabin baggage but it would not go in the over head lockers!

Built it up and had it on display at the local model shop (DC Evans if anyone remembers) I had a Saturday job there. I have some photos of it but of the old fashioned kind. It was huge and a fantastic kit, unfortunately the model shop burnt down and I lost it. Never seen one since.

My favourite is the Tamiya 1/35 remote control Chieftain. I built it when I was about 15, and it literally fell together. The best part, though, is the remote control wired into the back of the tank on a longish lead. Twin motors in the model, and two levers on the control, one for each track, with three positions (forward/stop/reverse). Driving it round the house and chasing the cat was great fun!

I remember doing that one....happy days icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe it is a hard decision for some, but for me this has for a long time been my favourite model. I built it about 10 years ago and have always kept a place for it in my cabinet. It is the Aeroclub 1/48th Tiger Moth.

I like my Eduard WW1 kits, love the Wingnuts kits, and maybe one of these should be my favourites, but for some reason this one wins. Its a lovely little kit, goes together well, and perfectly says 'Ah! De Havilland'.

So here it is, my all time favourite model;

Anyone want to post a few pics of their favourite?

I can understand why this is your favourite. Geoffrey deHavilland would be pleased! It encapsulates the Golden Age in one perfect little package. I love the machines themselves, but the history they evoke is what really draws me, and subjects like this are little crystals of history. Keep it on your shelf forever, and don't let it get pushed to the back by the big shiny ones. It deserves pride of place. I should declare my personal bias. I have a soft spot for Tiger Moths. I have a picture of my dad posed in flying kit leaning insousciantly on the engine cowl of a Tiger Moth, circa, 1954. Probably every pilot in the squadron posed for the same photo, suitable for sending home to girlfriends and mothers, but I love it.

Regards,

Morpheus.

I still have one in the top of a cupboard - though I think it is bigger than 1/35? Also, I seem to remember that it used to shed tracks fairly regulary during hard turns.......

I still have one in the top of a cupboard - though I think it is bigger than 1/35? Also, I seem to remember that it used to shed tracks fairly regulary during hard turns.......

My one's definitely 1/35, although Tamiya did also make a 1/25 Chieftain.

There are some stunning models on show here! Even the targets are inspiring, sorry AFV's!! :) As for me it's a very difficult whatever I built last tends to take that spot, but one I fell particularly pleased with, and it's not even a Canberra!! It's this NOAA WP.3D Orion. A very satisfying build with all the mods and decals home made. (sorry Tony O' I still love snoopy too)

DSC01718.jpg

I've been thinking and I'd like to include these two as well if I can?

DSC01482.jpg

A bit of a theme me thinks :)

John

Edited by canberra kid

Am I allowed 2?

Its a tie for 1st place but for different reasons.

Purely from a modelling perspective, my Vintage Fighter Series P-47 has to be my favourite.

Bolton_2011.jpg

(Not my photo, it was taken by someone at the Bolton show in January)

18 months of on and off building, loads of head scratching, an equal amount of "what the **** have I got myself into here?" but it finally got finished.

The pleasure I get from seeing peoples reaction to it on the rare occasions I get to take it to a show, coupled with the the enjoyment I get talking to people about it made it all worthwhile.

This Tamiya P-47 though, has really got a lot to answer for.

IMG_45551.JPG

A few years ago I was in the middle of a project to build one of the P-47M's from each of the 56th FG squadrons, and the last in line was the 61st FS with the long debated colour.

While on a visit to the 56th museum at Halesworth I broached the subject with a friend there, and he suggested I drop Russ Kyler of the 61st an email and ask him.

To cut a long story very short, this first email has resulted in a firm friendship with the Kylers, Russ's first trip back to Boxted since 1945, my first trip to Texas, and through his and other 56th veterans and families encouragement/support/bullying this led to me taking on the task of starting the 56th Fighter Group website.

Just over a year into that project and a book is on the cards.

No wonder my modelling output has slowed down!

Nige

:pilot:

http://www.56thfightergroup.co.uk/

easy,, proper Thunderbolts,,Razorbacks...also known as "Halesworth Jugs" :speak_cool:

My other 2 favourite models are on display at the 56thFG museum at Halesworth.

Nige

:pilot:

Fair enough.. :) But as I live closer to Boxted than Halesworth I tend to favour the

Boxted T'bolts.. and they never flew the 'M' from Halesworth anyway.. :D

Made a flying visit to the Halesworth Museum a couple of years ago, but sadly I don't have my own

transport so it will be a while before I can get there again, much as I'd love to go..

The Boxted Museum on the other hand is within easy cycling distance.. or will be, should it ever open.. :undecided:

Rob

There are some heartbreakingly good models on this thread (getting used to that here in Britmodeller)

Most of my models from "back when" (when my eyes were not glass enhanced) in the seventies and eighties have been lost but there are two I am still proud of.

I am still trying to work out posting pictures (The Typhoon didnt work for me on Flickr :( ) so I have gone Photobucket.

We shall see

The first and most favouritest 'cos I am rotaryblooded is my Whirlwind HAR10 which I built in 1983

Hope a: you like it & b: this works

Wessexday2006.jpg

Wessexday2083.jpg

And another I built in 83

Wessexday2081.jpg

Wessexday2010.jpg

I really liked the 1.24 airfix Hurricane I built a few years ago;

fixed01.jpg

More here: http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/allies/gb/dixonhurri.htm

I build figures for a friend and really liked Captain America I did, not normally a figure person but it came out well;

CaptA4.jpg

For sheer enjoyment the Wallace & Grommit I did for the same friend, kit was terrible but looked the part when done;

BikePlane.jpg

Also another fav was my Monogram F-106 http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/viet/us/dix106.htm

Finished12LeftFront2.jpg

Julien

I tend to return to the 1/72 Fujimi Sea Harrier decorated with Scale Aircraft Modelling decals to represent XZ451, the second production Sea Harrier (FRS Mk.1), while on strength with 700A Flight (Sea Harrier Intensive Flying Trials Unit) during 1979 at Yeovilton and while undergoing carrier trials on HMS Hermes.

thank you very much youv inadvertantly helped me out loads mate

my father in law was on hermes when they were trialing the harrier and iv never known which unit i needed decals for now im off to look for 1/48 versions

A great thread, some stunning builds here.

My favourite is one I finished this year. Not necessarily because it's my best, but because it was the first major conversion I've ever done which presented many challenges to overcome. Also I'd wanted to build one for many years, as it's a wonderful looking aeroplane, but never had the confidence to do it. So glad I did now.

DSC02521.jpg

DSC02529.jpg

DSC02500.jpg

One of my most enjoyable builds and my "current" favourite is this one, the 21st Century Toys 1/32nd Veltro, a great kit to build in spite of it's faults.

FINISHED2007.jpg

FINISHED2004.jpg

Cheers

Den