Of all the models you have built over the years...

oh my days!!! what scale is that 1/72?

my father in law was on hermes in the mid-late 70s (when they were trialing the harriers i think it ws before the ramp too) id give anything for a model of it

Being from Sirmar I'd say it's probably 1/96...I've the same scale HMS Illustrious (up in the loft unbuilt).

Mine would have to be the Copper state1/48th Taube. There was a certain element of scratchbuilding, but I am very pleased with the result.

DSCF0011.jpg

Totally off-topic for me, but my fav model is this 1/72 Hasegawa Starfighter. I just love the way the NASA scheme shows off the stilletto-like lines (not having drop tanks helps too!)

P1070177.jpg

Cliff

Cliff, that's very sharp, in flight w/o any external stores it DOES look like a manned missile.

Wonderful stuff Cheers,

ggc

i find it hard to pick a one of favourite, as i have loads of favourite, at a push its betwean these too, my b1 xa903 as i had always wanted a b1 and was my first attempt at extensive mods it come out ok and its not perfect but i love it. and second my model of b2 xl391 as i used to sit in her all the time as a kid and love her unique paint scheme with the dark grey coming around to the top side of the wings. shame they cut her up.

xa903layera.jpg

xl3912.jpg

Edited by robvulcan

What a fantastic idea for discussion! There are some beautiful models on here.

It's always hard to find a favourite but mine has got to be my 1/32nd scale Lancaster which I built from the ID Models vacform (plus some serious scratch building!)

P1000595.jpg

P1000596.jpg

P1000594.jpg

P1000591.jpg

P1000584.jpg

This is my favourite because of a family connection; this was my great uncle's aircraft which he was lost in 1944.

It also got 'Best in Show' at Southern Expo - so someone else must have liked it too!

My favourite model has got to be this Airfix Hurricane.An old kit now but with work comes out well.I decided to add the engine and other details to spice it up a bit,quite hard work but I enjoyed it.It ended up in the dio with the lovely Tamiya Tilly and several figures.

DSCF0541.jpg

DSCF0546.jpg

Some great models in this topic!

Mike

@ Tomprobert, that Lancaster must not only be huge but also it's the first 156 sqn Lanc I've ever seen modelled. It's pathfinder day here in Warboys and the Phantom is due in a bit!! Great to see one as a local as I've been looking for some decals for years :(

Howard

so many nice models on here im suprised no one had the idea for this before it could go on forever this. that hurricane really captures the feel of the war very well indeed.

@ Tomprobert, that Lancaster must not only be huge but also it's the first 156 sqn Lanc I've ever seen modelled. It's pathfinder day here in Warboys and the Phantom is due in a bit!! Great to see one as a local as I've been looking for some decals for years :(

Howard

Yes it is rather large and I'm glad you like it! My great uncle was a wireless op/air gunner on 156. According to my research he was shot down on his 19th operation, and is buried along with the rest of his crew.

I have never seen decals for this squadron so I sprayed the markings onto this model. I keep meaning to visit Warboys; I imagine it would be quite emotional seeing a Lanc overhead.

Thanks Rob,

This plus a couple of others are now on display in the Kent Battle of Britain Museum in Hawkinge.A great museum full of recovered crashed planes (well the wreckage anyway!) and the personal stories of the pilots.

Mike

Hmm, so many years, so many kits but I guess the kit that gave me the most pleasure may well be the first "superkit" that I built. Sorry, no pics as it was the Revell 1/32 Stuka that I built when I was about 9 - 1970ish. Size, interior detail, engine, fancy markings - it had it all!

From the modern era it has to be the Academy Helldiver in 1/72 as it was my first serious foray into p/e and scared me to death - but a great feeling after I got it beat!

Upload-30-12-09.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Also pretty fond of the Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk.1 as it marked my return to the hobby and is such a sweet little kit.

IMG_0078.jpg

Loving this thread......!

cheers all

Rick

Edited by Spad

Only back in the game for 4 years, but:

My 1/48 Sea Vixen

Beautiful aircraft. Great kit, and my family deHavilland links may make me biased!

71e20806.jpg

I also have a thing for my rotary collection too!

IMG_9771.jpg

Thanks Rob,

This plus a couple of others are now on display in the Kent Battle of Britain Museum in Hawkinge.A great museum full of recovered crashed planes (well the wreckage anyway!) and the personal stories of the pilots.

Mike

fantastic how did you get into making models for museums if love to do that. i remember seeing many impressive models in the cosford museum, it is an amazing model and diorama

My favorite would have to be the old Inpact 1/48 scale Bristol Bulldog (mine is actually the Lindberg reissue). I love the colors and markings and am VERY surprised at how well it turned out.

Bulldog-5.jpg

Bulldog-1.jpg

Close runner up would have to be the Eduard 1/48 Sopwith Camel. This was my most difficult biplane build to date (my sixth biplane kit), and I was very relieved to finish without completely messing it up.

Camel-4.jpg

Hope you like them!

Karl

Only back in the game for 4 years, but:

My 1/48 Sea Vixen

Beautiful aircraft. Great kit, and my family deHavilland links may make me biased!

I also have a thing for my rotary collection too!

Lovely Sea Vixen and Sea King!

Hmm, so many years, so many kits but I guess the kit that gave me the most pleasure may well be the first "superkit" that I built. Sorry, no pics as it was the Revell 1/32 Stuka that I built when I was about 9 - 1970ish. Size, interior detail, engine, fancy markings - it had it all!

From the modern era it has to be the Academy Helldiver in 1/72 as it was my first serious foray into p/e and scared me to death - but a great feeling after I got it beat!

Loving this thread......!

cheers all

Rick

Beautiful Helldiver!! Hard to believe it's only 1/72--fantastic detail and finish!

I tend to return to the 1/72 Fujimi Sea Harrier decorated with Scale Aircraft Modelling decals to represent XZ451, the second production Sea Harrier (FRS Mk.1), while on strength with 700A Flight (Sea Harrier Intensive Flying Trials Unit) during 1979 at Yeovilton and while undergoing carrier trials on HMS Hermes.

jucorm.jpg

2dkim45.jpg

2e16edj.jpg

Edited by ejboyd5