and another Airfix Sea Vixen

Well, that's my Sea Vixen complete at last. What a fantastic kit (even if it is in the wrong scale)!

DSC_0276-640.jpg

Fitting the wings was slightly tricky, but because the standard of parts fit is so high, it looks harder than it actually is, I forgot to fit the observers window before joining the fuselage halves, the red engine cover transfers silvered slightly and the winged fist transfer for the tail is too small.

DSC_0277.jpg

Smoothly and consitently brush painting that large expanse of grey (2 coats Humbrol enamel) required a lot of care (and a new brush) but otherwise..... Now, where on earth am I going to put it!!

FredT :-D

DSC_0278.jpg

DSC_0285.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

DSC_0294.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

Very nice brushwork,hope mine comes out half as well, what did you use and how did you apply the white underside?

Edited by simon b

Very nice brushwork,hope mine comes out half as well, what did you use and how did you apply the white underside?

Thanks Simon b

Its nothing more than Humbrol Satin 123 and Satin 130 enamels. Both out the tin (i.e not thinned - they were new tins and Humbrol's quality is clearly improving), no primer, but surfaces washed in soapy water, two coats applied, both in 2 stages to allow handling, with a week drying between coats, using a new No 4 round tip (bog standard Humbrol) brush. Then a final sealing coat of Micro Sol Acrylic Satin, using a different and very soft no.4 brush. The Humbrol always brushes well, but I was a bit worried about the acrylic, which is rather thick looking in the bottle. Both white and EDSG then have a light oily wash of black to highlight panel lines and the dirty underside.

I'm slightly surprised at how well it has turned out, as I was cursing when it became clear that a second EDSG coat would be needed (I always knew it would on the white).

FredT :)

very nice.

I empathize with concerns regarding space to display the monster..hence I folded the wings on my one.

Edited by trpsarge

Very nice job. I love the "dirty" look of all the flaps down, etc.

Well, that's my Sea Vixen complete at last. What a fantastic kit (even if it is in the wrong scale)!

DSC_0276-640.jpg

Fitting the wings was slightly tricky, but because the standard of parts fit is so high, it looks harder than it actually is, I forgot to fit the observers window before joining the fuselage halves, the red engine cover transfers silvered slightly and the winged fist transfer for the tail is too small.

DSC_0277.jpg

Smoothly and consitently brush painting that large expanse of grey (2 coats Humbrol enamel) required a lot of care (and a new brush) but otherwise..... Now, where on earth am I going to put it!!

FredT :-D

DSC_0278.jpg

DSC_0285.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

DSC_0294.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg