Rhodesian Alouette

Built for a recent club competition - it's the old Heller kit with some Extratech etch and home made bits and pieces.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

"Ready for a firefight" on judging night - Stiff competition from the gang again, but managed to get enough sympathy votes to squeak in second to a worthy winner from "Seafire" Dave. :clap2:

cheers guys ! :cheers:

(Wish I could take pictures as well as I glue windscreen wipers on !)

Edited by mitchem

Have you got a reference for the orange seats and bright green rotor baldes please

Sorry Wayne, the lighting is pretty bad.

I painted the seats Humbrol 62 Leather and the only reference I could find for the rotor blades was the old Scale Aircraft Magazine August 1982 : "Main blades green with orange-yellow tips.", but it doesn't specify what green, so I opted for Humbrol 101 Matt mid green.

As I'm horrifically colour blind, I'm open to crticism and recommendations.

mike

Very nice build. I'm colour blind as well so tend to paint by numbers. If I ever have to try and find a colour to match a reference photo I always get a second opinion from my wife, it then always amazes me that the colour she picks would have been way down the list of any suitable match I would have come up with myself!

Andrew

Very nice!

I'm really impressed at the canopy area, you've got that looking really good. Is that the kit canopy?

And the metals of the engine look fantastic too in the first pic.

Well done on your second placing.

Gary

Edited by Gajman

Very nice work, a delicate subject neatly tackelled.

Many thanks for the kind comments - much appreciated.

The colours on my original photos were a bit odd, so I've replaced them with some shots taken under cloudy skies today.

I've also added a few more below for you to have a look at :

h.jpg

i.jpgj.jpgk.jpgl.jpgm.jpgo.jpgp.jpg

Modifications I made to the original kit were as follows :

- Front canopy was heat-smashed over the original using acetate sheet and then cut to size.

- The same was done with the side doors, and they in turn were cut out and posed open.

- The rear doors were disposed of - like the original, they weren't needed.

- A bench seat was made with plasticard and milliput to stretch across the fuselage .

- Milliput was also used to make the seat cushion on the back wall and fuse wire was used to make a couple of posts for the bench to stand on.

- The "running-boards" were made from fuse wire and plasticard. They're not 100% accurate, but they're better than nothing (although some may debate that).

- The air filters were made from milliput carved and sanded to shape with plasticard facings and homemade decals representing the filter grills.

- A thin frame of Ultramask was cut to size and used to overlay the decals.

- Retention wires for the filters were made from fuse wire.

- The aerials on the front, windscreen wipers, rudder pedals, seat frames, pilot's seat belt, tail rotor and rotor guard, and details on the main and tail rotors were all taken from the Extratech etched set.

- The decals were from my ever dwindling supply of 1982 magazine roundels - I only wish someone would print some decent Rhodesian roundels - I sure as hell would buy 'em !

All in all, I'm really pleased with the outcome - It's a far cry from the last one I made about 15 years ago.

Thanks for looking once again.

mike

As I'm horrifically colour blind, I'm open to crticism and recommendations.

I wondered why you'd painted the rotor blades red Mike..... :whistle::P

I have to say that your photos really don't bring over what a stunning little thing this is in real life. No jokes, it's one of my favourite helicopter models, ever!

Looking forward to seeing it on its 'proper' base!

K