Dynavector 1:48 Supermarine Scimitar

Mike

I've gone some months now without starting a vacformed kit after my successful completion of my first one, being the Douglas Skyshark a while back. I'm starting to get twitchy, having done only styrene kits since, so after chatting with Chris (Stringbag) when he dropped off the vacformed Swift, I decided I needed to begin one.

I decided against the Swift for now, as it needs some research before I begin, and the Scimitar had been calling to me since it arrived from Terry McGrady not too long ago. Scimitar it is then!

I also decided that I'd make it a step-by-step build, to see if I could strip away any of the mystique of making vacformed models, as a lot of people cross themselves at the very mention of vacforms, they're that frightened of them. I think I know where that impression comes from, as like styrene kits, there are good and bad vacforms. Dynavector are one of the good guys, producing top quality vacs that build into nice models OOB, and stunning models with a little work.

On with the job! :yahoo:

Here's a shot of all the parts included in the sturdy cardboard box... 2 sheets of vacformed plastic with fine recessed panel lines, a bag of white metal detail parts, and a couple of clearvac canopies. There's also a couple of sheets of instructions and a set of decals for verious airframes. Time has not been kind to these though, and I suspect I'll have to replace them with some I got in a set of Ark Royal Airwing decals some time back.

parts1.jpg

The first thing to notice about the vac sheets is that I've drawn round each part with a thick (pointed) black marker. This isn't just to make the cuts stand out better, but to show you later how much sanding you have to do to the parts when they're free of the backing sheet.

Making sure that the marker gets right into the corner of each part, I put a new #11 blade in my scalpel and drew it round each part with a firm angled stroke, being careful not to wander to either side of the join line.

scorings.jpg

Note the nicely manicured nails... there's no excuse for ragged or dirty ones :lol:

When each part has a scored line fully round it, grasp the part & backing, and flex it back & forth so that the plastic breaks along the cut line. It usually takes just a forward & backwards motion, but be careful where there are complex shapes, as it's possible for the break to divert along the line of least resistance if you're not careful.

breaking.jpg

Now you can see the reason for the marker pen at the cut. Looking along the edge of the fuselage half, you can see that there is a thin strip of white plastic visible below the marker line. This is the plastic that needs removing. You'll see people advocating the use of flat sheet sanding on a piece of glass with sanding paper tapes to it. I'm not a big fan of that method, as the pressure you exert causes the parts to flex, and you can end up with parts that are banana shaped, and don't fit together well.

All I use is a coarse grit sanding stick, sanding each section to the marker by eye. That's the next job with this lot, and should probably only take another half hour :)

cut.jpg

In total, it took me less than 20 minutes to get all the parts scored & cut out, including taking the photos. Simple, eh? ;)

• Like 4

Excellent choice of subject Mike, both for the fact it's a Scimitar and as a vacform. I'm sure we're all about to learn a lot from your build.

Pray tell, how many builds is this you have on the go now?

Excellent choice of subject Mike, both for the fact it's a Scimitar and as a vacform. I'm sure we're all about to learn a lot from your build.

Pray tell, how many builds is this you have on the go now?

Excluding the Valiant, which is on holiday, That'll be 3 Matthew... is that ok? :tease:

An excellent choice Mike....The Scimitar was my second Dynavector build (after the Sea Vixen) 9 or 10 years ago and went together really easily. Looks like you've done all of the hard work - BUT a word of warning, watch out for the intakes - I seem to recall them being a bit on the flimsy side!

An excellent choice Mike....The Scimitar was my second Dynavector build (after the Sea Vixen) 9 or 10 years ago and went together really easily. Looks like you've done all of the hard work - BUT a word of warning, watch out for the intakes - I seem to recall them being a bit on the flimsy side!

Yeah, I've noticed how flimsy they are already. Was pondering whether to put trunking on the inside, as it seems to be missing, or just fabricate some FOD guards, as I've got a couple of pics lying about.

Yeah, I've noticed how flimsy they are already. Was pondering whether to put trunking on the inside, as it seems to be missing, or just fabricate some FOD guards, as I've got a couple of pics lying about.

There was no trunking, the intakes ended in a blank piece of plastic (which I painted black). FOD covers would seem like a good idea...what scheme are you doing yours in?

There was no trunking, the intakes ended in a blank piece of plastic (which I painted black). FOD covers would seem like a good idea...what scheme are you doing yours in?

EDSG & White... of course! ^_^

Hi Mike - theres a 2 part build article on this kit in the August and September 2005 issues of SAM, by Jim Howard.

Just in case you didn't know this already of course !

There's also a build article in SAMI in 1998 (ish) by someone - who's name escapes me now....... :whistle:

Hope it goes well for you. I do like the Dynavector kits the I completed the Gannet many years ago and have the rest of the FAA releases in the stash for some point in the future.

Look forward to following this build.

Cheers

MarkC

Heh... why have cotton when you can have silk? :king:

I'd be interested to see the build articles you chaps mention... any chance of a scan? :please:

I managed to sand down the main fuselage parts & install the bracing piece across the top half as per the instructions before I shut up shop for the night. I'll finish sanding the rest of the parts tomorrow, and make some decisions on construction, whether I'll be articulating any flying surfaces etc. while I'm doing it. :)

I'd be interested to see the build articles you chaps mention... any chance of a scan? :please:

I managed to sand down the main fuselage parts & install the bracing piece across the top half as per the instructions before I shut up shop for the night. I'll finish sanding the rest of the parts tomorrow, and make some decisions on construction, whether I'll be articulating any flying surfaces etc. while I'm doing it. :)

I'm sure I have a copy somewhere......I'll see what I can sort out...

Hey Mike, Check out the CD i left with you.

It's all there.

Edited by stringbag

Been busy with the tail of the beast... Decided to mobilise the vertical tail, leaving the horizontal(ish) ones straight... I scored round the outline, and used my new CMK razor saw to cut through the horizontal bits. A couple of tweaks to left & right, and the whole part snapped free cleanly. It needed some strips of styrene to rebuild the aerodynamic profile of the fin, recreate the curved "socket" the fin fits into, and blank off the gaps top & bottom. As usual, the lines weren't quite in the same place on each side, so a little filling was needed into the bargain. Here are the results:

tail1.jpg

I'ver also been doing a bit of work on the cockpit, including the ejector seat, which seems to be the weakest part of most Dynavector kits (I keep saying that, don't I?). In addition to the work detailed above, I've added a bunch of belts from Tamiya tape, buckles & such from styrene strip (some punched circles for the central boss), and added ejector seat pull handles from lead wire. I also tried a new technique for adding raised rivets around the headbox, using PVA blobs deposited carefully by a dab with the tip of a cocktail stick. You have to be careful not to overdo it, and the finished effect would probably look better in 1:32, but I've left it, cos it adds a bit of detail :)

I blasted the finished thing with some Mr Surfacer to tie it all in, and the pic below shows it in a before & after montage, courtesy of the Sea Vixen kit, which has exactly the same seat :rolleyes:

seat2.jpg

The cockpit tub is vacform with white metal side consoles and stick. These parts go together quite nicely, and I've decided they don't need much work. I added a few wires & boxes behind the seat, and sprayed that & the IP with Mr Surfacer to show up any defects. The only really weak parts are the floor & rudder pedals, but as you can't really see them, I think I might leave them as they are, unless anyone's got any good pics of the pedals?

cockpit1.jpg

The cockpit sidewalls are devoid of any detail, so I added some ribbing from strip, and fashioned a few ancillary instrument boxes in similar configurations & places as in my refs, and glued them in place on some angled backing pieces. A bit of lead wire for a prominent pipe, and I'm happy with that level of detail. Here's a couple of pics from each side with the cockpit tub installed, but the IP missing.

cockpit2.jpg

cockpit3.jpg

One the Mr Surfacer cures, I'll start thinking about painting my handywork, once I've smoothed down the lip of the pit, which I forgot to do earlier :doh:

• Like 2

Nice work, considering it was bald yesterday when I came over.......

That little 2 x 3mm bit I was waving around while you were here makes an appearance in the last pic. It's the little panel in the middle of the sidewall :hypnotised:

Bleedin ell Mike, shes looking good. That bang seat, well, Im gonna go sit in the corner & sulk :partytime:

Bex

Thanks Bex... There were some reet fiddly bits there. :pipe: Thank goodness for my head mounted magnifier & pointy tweezers! It's only the second time I've tarted up a seat myself, as I just couldn't be arsed waiting for a resin one to come along. It was surprisingly easy once I'd got past the Milliput stage. The main problem was holding the parts in my pudgy fingers while I was trying to shape them! :lol: I think I lost a tiny semi-circular buckle I made with concentric punches about 4 times :S