Attention IL-2 Fans

Pielstick

http://ultrapack.il2war.com/index.php

UltraPack 3 for IL-2 is due to be released this week.

It will be fully compatible with the latest IL-2 Version 4.101 and have a shed load of new content over UltraPack 2 - the readme for the Release Candidate of UP3 can be read here:

http://ultrapack.il2war.com/index.php/topic,3892.0.html

For those who aren't familiar with it UltraPack is a huge compilation of community based modifications including new aircraft and new maps, new sounds and graphic effects. The existing IL-2 aircraft have all been given overhauls in the form of new or updated cockpits and flight models. It's free to download and adds a tremendous amount of new content to the original IL-2 sim.

Well worth the download.

Cheers,

Nick

ooh, may have to reinstall this baby. It strikes me that despite the age of the sim, it is still one of the best out there. It certainly can't be beaten for the amount and variety of aircraft included.

Just did a fresh reinstall of IL-2 1946 and patched it to 4.101 in readiness for UP3 :)

Wow I need to find all the patches to get it ready. Without being too much of a pain do you know where the best place to get them Pielstick?

Go here: http://www.mission4today.com/ and register an account (it's free). Have a look in the downloads section, and navigate through the downloads section as follows:

Downloads › IL-2 Series: Forgotten Battles & Pacific Fighters › Patches › Official Game Patches

and the first file in the list should be: "IL-2 MegaPatch 4.10.1m_EN"

This is an all-in-one patch that will bring your IL-2 1946 up to version 4.101m, which is the base version that UP3 will require.

Also, take a look around the Mission4Today site, it's a fantastic resource for IL-2 campaigns and missions, there's enough there to keep you going for years!

awesome, will do mate :) One thing that dissapointed me about some previous updates and new content is how it's not really incorporated into the game. I can't be bothered to sit for hours and hours making missions so I can use them. I hope the new content is incorporated into the single player campaign from the off :)

UltraPack doesn't include new missions or campaigns unfortunately. If you check out the downloads section of Mission4Today you'll find hundreds of new campaigns and missions, including ones which are designed to use the new aircraft and maps introduced in UltraPack and others.

There are two sections of downloads in M4T - one that contains campaigns and missions for the stock aircraft and maps in the IL-2 series, and one section with with missions and campaigns for the new stuff that has been added by the community. If you download any campaigns/missions for the modified stuff then you will need to make sure you have the required aircraft and maps...

However, once you have UP3 installed, it is so comprehensive that you will already have all the aircraft and maps which 99.9% of the campaigns/missions require.

My laptop can only run IL-2 Forgotten Battles with the ace expansion pack, it didn't like 46 :( Could I get this mega-update on to this version of IL-2? (And I'm totally new to this, so I will need an idiots guide to finding/installing it :) )

As far as I know UltraPack requires IL-2 1946. If your laptop can run Forgotten Battles then it definitely should be able to handle 1946. What exactly was the problem?

As far as I know UltraPack requires IL-2 1946. If your laptop can run Forgotten Battles then it definitely should be able to handle 1946. What exactly was the problem?

It just ran VERY slowly and lagged a lot, it definately hated it for some reason...

That's strange because 1946 is *exactly* the same programme as Forgotten Battles, just with more aircraft and maps added. Are you sure it was set up correctly?

You know what, come to think of it when they went from Forgotten Battles to Pacific Fighters they introduced new water graphics which could hit a modest graphics card quite bad. Did you try turning the water detail down to low, which would have given you the same water graphics as Forgotten Battles?

That's strange because 1946 is *exactly* the same programme as Forgotten Battles, just with more aircraft and maps added. Are you sure it was set up correctly?

You know what, come to think of it when they went from Forgotten Battles to Pacific Fighters they introduced new water graphics which could hit a modest graphics card quite bad. Did you try turning the water detail down to low, which would have given you the same water graphics as Forgotten Battles?

I didn't, but sadly I flogged 1946 a while back :( Sorry to have troubled you, I was just wondering as this sound pretty impressive stuff :) Thanks for your trouble anyway :)

Edited by F111Fan

It's well worth picking up again for a few quid:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/UBI-Soft-IL2-Sturm...0054&sr=8-2

I'll bet the problem was you were running the sim with the new water graphics and that made your graphics card choke. Turn it down to low detail water and it will be as smooth as butter, just like Forgotten Battles.

It's well worth picking up again for a few quid:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/UBI-Soft-IL2-Sturm...0054&sr=8-2

I'll bet the problem was you were running the sim with the new water graphics and that made your graphics card choke. Turn it down to low detail water and it will be as smooth as butter, just like Forgotten Battles.

I'll certaineley give it a think, it's getting it past mum that's the issue :ninja:

They've found a bug in the package, I think something to do with the installer, and the release has now scheduled for some time next week.

:boom:

Looks like it's going to be released at 1800 o'clock UK time this evening.

:yahoo:

Edited by Pielstick

Just grab the torrent mate, it's was fairly slow for me because of the number of people downloading... but as more have downloaded it now there's more seeders, so it'll be faster.

Installed it and had a quick go... most impressed :)

The only problem I have is the sim crashes if I try to load a quick mission in the Mosquito TseTse.

The only complaint I have is the introduction of a new model for the A6M Zero, which means all the custom historical skins I have for this aircraft no longer work :(

Sorted the problem with the Mosquito TseTse crashing the sim, it now works ok.

Now the only real gripe I have is this:

We've now got an F-80, an F-84, F-86, an FJ3, an F9F, an Me262, Ar234, He162, Yak-15, MiG-9, MiG-15 and MiG-17.....

.....So where's the bloody Meteor and Vampire???

FIVE American jets, THREE German jets and FOUR Soviet jets, and not ONE British jet :angrysoapbox.sml:

And if they're gonna let the Russians have a MiG-17 then I want a Venom and Hunter as well!

Other than that it's fantastic! :thumbsup:

Edited by Pielstick