GR.3 (Hasegawa) & T.4 (Humbrol/Bobcat)

Thought I would get these two out of the stash for the GB. They have been in it for about 30 years so its about time I made them.

HarrierGB01.jpg

HarrierGB02.jpg

And just to proove that the TM4 is a snap together kit here it is with all parts together. The pitot tube was lost years ago but needed replacing anyway.

HarrierGB03.jpg

Edited by AndrewE

I would LOVE a 2 seater, tho' in 1/48th (unusuallly for me :))

know where I can find one?

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update to show progress over the last couple of weeks. Both kits have had the front u/c bay opened up although I have yet to add any detail to the T.4, I aslo opened the airbrake on the T.4. The T.4 has been rescribed. On both kits I have also opened up the upper auxiliary air intakes, thre is no engine front on the T.4 so rather than try and scratch build one I have made a couple of FOD covers. I have removed the kit cockpits from both kits and scratch built ones myself and I will be using Neomega ejection seats. Lastly the outrigger housings on both kits have been opened up as they come moulded solid.

Most of the modifications have been done using an excellent article in the April 07 issue of Military in Scale. It details a Hasegawa 1/72 GR.3 build by Juanjo Dominguez Calvo. Thanks Juango if you are reading this!

Andrew

HarrierGB04.jpg

HarrierGB05.jpg

HarrierGB06.jpg

HarrierGB07.jpg

HarrierGB08.jpg

Very interesting to see a different approach to the two-seater, despite our conversions are based on criss-kitting the same two kits.

Nils

A great start...loving the T4. Beware though....The extended "ferry" wings tips were rarely used, so you may need to lop them off. Also the extended fin never had the Radar Warning Receiver pod. You can easily remove that, or keep the RWR pod, but reduce the height of the fin. The area above the RWR pod should then be the same as on the GR3, or you could reduce the height AND lop off the RWR pod - for a T2 or earlier T4! The LRMTS nose only appeared on the shortened finned T4 - but I daresay you knew all of that anyway!!

A great start...loving the T4. Beware though....The extended "ferry" wings tips were rarely used, so you may need to lop them off. Also the extended fin never had the Radar Warning Receiver pod. You can easily remove that, or keep the RWR pod, but reduce the height of the fin. The area above the RWR pod should then be the same as on the GR3, or you could reduce the height AND lop off the RWR pod - for a T2 or earlier T4! The LRMTS nose only appeared on the shortened finned T4 - but I daresay you knew all of that anyway!!

Thank you for the advice, I have had a good look at the references I have and can see exactly what you mean about the tail and ferry wing tips so I hall be shortening both as needed. I will leave the RWR pod on although it looks rather too long compared with the photos I have so I will probably shorten that as well.

The Gr.3 kit I am building was originally purchased to get a replacement canopy for another build on which I had ruined the canopy. I was therefore originally going to combine the two kits for the T4 but since the old Gr.3 has long since been disposed I was able to retreive the canopy giving me a complete Gr.3 which I just could not bring myself to sacrifice for the T4.

Enjoying the build so far though and very pleased to have been able to make these corrections before progressing too far into the build!

Andrew

I think Bill may have been referring to the RWR housing on the leading edge of the fin. This one covered the forward hemisphere whilst the one on the tip of the tail boom covered the rear. If Bill says it shouldn't be there, you can pretty much lop it off without looking at another picture. :D

• 6 months later...
Most of the modifications have been done using an excellent article in the April 07 issue of Military in Scale. It details a Hasegawa 1/72 GR.3 build by Juanjo Dominguez Calvo. Thanks Juanjo if you are reading this!

Just was surfing the forums looking for Harriers and I found out this... You're welcome, mate! Glad to see it was useful for anyone!

Other than that :goodjob: