1/48 MQ-9 Reaper UAV

This is my latest, its the SkunkModels Workshop kit with decals from Caracal Models sheet CD48001 which provides options for 1 x RAF option ,1 x NASA version where info is provided as how to alter the kit and 5 x USAF Reapers including one marked with mission markings. http://www.caracalmodels.com/

IMG_0350.jpg

The kit itself goes together very easily as its not comprised of many parts and looks the part when it is finished.It was painted using Xtracrlix in the standard two colour scheme.The kit actually tells you that the Reaper is overall FS36375 Light Ghost Grey which I actually thought was the case however Kursad who runs Caracal did some diligent reasearch and provided info with the correct scheme.

IMG_0351.jpg

The weapons are quite nice and are decalled using stencils from the kit sheet which I'm not entirely sure is correct for an RAF Reaper based on a pic I saw in the 2011 RAF yearbook but I've tried to get them close enough.

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

The decals themselves are printed by Microscale and are very easy to use.I use Klear as a setting agent and they went down beautifully.I highlighted the panel lines with Phil Flory's wash (which I've left slightly too heavy around some o fthe control surfaces!) and then sprayed Vallejo Model Air matt varnish to finish off.

IMG_0354.jpg

One tip I will give everyone is to leave off the pitot until the very last minute as I've managed to break it off about 4 times!!!!!!!!

References used were

2011 RAF Yearbook

Birds of Prey by Bill Yenne

Thanks to Kursad for the decals

Stephen

• Like 2

Great finished product there Stephen. Have been backwards and forwards about purchasing the kit and I think your build of the it has convinced me to donate some coin. I didn't even realise that the RAF was an operator though I had seen the sheet from Caracal somewhere on a forum but didn't realise it provided that options. How did the Caracal decals go? Did they react well to solutions? Tidy little dioram too. Great to see a model given a bit of context.

Oh yeah, how big is it when built?

Nice work.

Mick

Very nice job Stephen - judging by the position of the wingtips at the edges of your photobooth, it builds into a fair sized model... the only downside of UAVs :hmmm:

Very nice!

Just waiting for the 1/72 version to arrive later this month (if it's on schedule). The smaller scale version includes two kits, anyone want to go halves?

• 3 weeks later...

Seems we wont need the Caracal sheet for the 1:72 version.

Luckymodel have a photo of the decal sheet for the 1:72 version from Skunk Models. Seems it now comes with RAF markings and is printed by Cartograph.

hi-PI000000151970.jpg

Luckymodel have a photo of the decal sheet for the 1:72 version from Skunk Models. Seems it now comes with RAF markings and is printed by Cartograph.

roundel next to Royal Air Force decal not Lowviz ?

Yep, well spotted, seems they have cocked it up. Seems we'll need the Caracal decals after all.

Plus, they only give one set of national markings, whereas Caracal will be providing two (apparently)

Edited by RobVXD

They have to be commended for not simply scaling down the 1/48 decals; and improving the product instead. Unlike the 1/48 kit sheet, this sheet looks like it was designed by an adult; and it should be acceptable to most modelers. As with most decal sheets, I can still see some issues but it is a solid improvement over the 1/48. Many of their marking choices seem awfully familiar, but then there are only so many photos of the Reaper.

That said, the Caracal Models 1/72 sheet is still on track and will be released in June. My decals will also provide a second RAF option (for ZZ201), two sets of RAF insignia (including correct 39 Sqn insignia with black winged bombs, "ROYAL AIR FORCE" emblem depicting two variations of color); two sets of "stencilling" that cover the very prominently visible red fuel caps on the wings and upper fuselage. I will also include some decals to depict the various sensor windows on the FLIR turret: the real FLIR turret actually looks fairly "busy" with many small windows for different sensors which are not depicted on the kit parts and are hard to portray without decals. I wish I thought of this when I did the 1/48 sheet.

Along with the NASA and Holloman(HO) & Syracuse (NY) USAF options that are not in the kit sheet, I think the Caracal Models sheet will still be of interest to many of you. I will decrease the size of the print batch and make it a limited edition, though. I will post more info on my ARC manufacturer's forum next week or so.

Edited by CaracalModels

Limited edition? Can I place my order now please?

You can always subscribe to my mailing list by entering your e-mail address at "www.caracalmodels.com". Mailing list subscribers will get a working PayPal link at least a couple days before a new item will be announced in the forums or the Web site itself.

I am always waiting for new 1/72 & 1/48 subject ideas as well, feel free to chime in by sending me an e-mail or posting to the ARC thread if you have a suggestion.

• 1 month later...

I'm researching my own Reaper, and this came up on Google. I can't believe I missed it first time round. It's a beauty!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...