Fujimi Westland Lynx HAS2 - 1/72

There is something appealing about these nice simple 70s early 80s kits. The Fujimi Lynx is nicely moulded and for us gumbys there are not too many parts! The kit lacks the "valley" running down the middle of the Lynx engine coverings and I have seen reference to the fuselage being too boxy. I also think the tail rotor drive shaft fairing should be taller. The exhausts stick straight out rather then being pointed rearwards but enough of the problems!!

lynxd-1.jpg

The build was reasonably straightforward. There is very little detail to worry about sanding off. I added some bits of scrap plastic to the tail to represent the folding mechanism which is entirely absent (I think the mould doubles as an Army Lynx in its spare time). The fit of the top of the fuselage to the bottom is less than stellar but in a rare flash of inspiration I covered the join with a strip of plasticard representing the bottom door rail.

lynxb.jpg

Then came the painting - oh woe was me. All over Oxford Blue - in acrylic. Neither Humbrol or Vallejo Oxford Blue were close so I resorted to mixing. It got a coat of Gunze - too light. A coat of Humbrol mix - too grey. A coat of Vallejo mix - too blue. B*gger. I bit the bullet and bought a tin of White Ensign enamel - perfect. Come on Mr Xtracrylix let's have some some RN helo colours!!

lynxf.jpg

Top windows were sprayed with Gunze clear blue. Decals are from Modeldecal 56. I was going to use the decals from the Xtradecal 815 NAS sheet but could find no supporting evidence for the aircraft portrayed even in the reference given. Modeldecal were so fantastic with their pics of the aircraft they were portraying. The yellow rotor stripes were individually applied using Fantasy Printshop yellow stripes.

lynxa-1.jpg

And finally you may recall I was complaing about lack of depth of field in my pics. Well I think I have cracked it - in fact I probably have too much as I would have liked the background to be a little blurred. Used the wifes camera with F-stop of 14 and exposure of around 1/20 sec. Hope you like! Whirlwind HAS7 to follow soon!!

lynxc.jpg

Pat

Edited by Pat C
  • Like 1

Hi Pat

I like it very much! After a recent Friends of Duxford trip to Yeovilton (walkaround pics here), I have decided that I want to build a Navy Lynx. Yours looks great in blue, rather that the omnipresent grey! I don't know whether to go Airfix or Hobbyboss in 1/72, or hang on for the 1/48 Airfix.

Edited by Alpha Delta 210

I don't know whether to go Airfix or Hobbyboss in 1/72

I havn't pursuaded you to go Fujimi? :winkgrin: The HB kit is light years ahead of the Airfix although there are ex-Lynx drivers on here who were disapointed with it.

nice..

i started a airfix one years ago, and everyone was disapointed how crap the hobbyboss ones are

Very very nice. Looks great in the blue and your modelling skills have helped mask the deficiencies.

There is something appealing about these nice simple 70s early 80s kits. The Fujimi Lynx is nicely moulded and for us gumbys there are not too many parts! The kit lacks the "valley" running down the middle of the Lynx engine coverings and I have seen reference to the fuselage being too boxy. I also think the tail rotor drive shaft fairing should be taller. The exhausts stick straight out rather then being pointed rearwards but enough of the problems!!

lynxb.jpg

Hi Pat,

this is a great shot of your Lynx. It reminds of an almost identical scene with a real Lynx during the Falkands War.

The Lynx was from HMS Antelope and it had landed beside us at Ajax Bay. The Lynx was positioned virtually just as you have it posed; except its white markings were painted out and it had a live torpedo on a fitting below the port door. I was standing in that same position where you would have taken your photo.

About 30 minutes later we heard the muffled bang when the UXB on the Antelope detonated and the pilot then scrambled his Lynx to go and rescue those on board.

Fine model and brought back some stirring memories

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Thats a great looking Lynx, nece to see the old blue scheme again. looks like you did real credit to the old kit.