1/72 Airfix PR XIX

Hi all,

Saw an airfix Spitfire XIX in hobbycraft last week for £4, so took a punt. The build has been very straightforward so all the pitcures you see below have been the product of only two days worth of holidays. I'm afraid I have built faster than I can post.

The Airfix XIX is an odd kit in some ways. The overall 'feel' is very nice, but there are some irritating features (putting aside fidelity to prototype which I don't feel qualified to comment on.) . This includes a relatively sparse cockpit- enough to rule out an open cockpit build without work, and more irritatingly, no wheel well detail. I suppose it shows just how much we have come to expect in a few short years of releases from airfix! The panel lines are simplified, particularly on the wings, but drawings I have show all the major features are there.

I built the cockpit more or less out of the box, but added an instrument panel transfer from the spare box (from a Lockheed Hudson I think?) I also replaced the kit seat with one from 3D kits MKII conversion set. It isn't strictly correct for a XIX, but the effect through a closed canopy is better than the kit part. I added am etched harness from the spares box (ex- Eduard I think?)

DSC03024.jpg

DSC03025.jpg

DSC03026.jpg

I added a very basic representation of the wheel well detail- just some plastic strip I had in the box. I taped together the wing components and sprayed the 'shadow' of the wheel well opening onto the upper wing part, so I knew where to glue the detail parts. Lazy!

DSC03030.jpg

DSC03035.jpg

The build progressed very quickly from here, with the only major problem being the wing-fuselage join. This left a lot to be desired for a modern 'easy enough for kids to build' kit! I filled it with superglue, but should probably have used streched sprue. Lazy!

DSC03038.jpg

The intake was poorly moulded, including a couple of sink marks. I bent a piece of wire to make a new 'lip' for the intake (mis-moulded on mine). As luck would have it, my pliers happened to conform almost exactly to the shape required, so I bent fuse wire around them and glued the resulting 'D' shape to the front of the plastic intake.

DSC03039.jpg

A quick coat of primer....

DSC03041.jpg

And a top coat of White Ensign 'PRU Blue' + a couple o' coats of 'klear' later...

DSC03042.jpg

And it was time to consider decals. I initially wanted to build a wartime machine, but I was rather taken by an option on the Xtradecal sheet X72-105, which was a 2 squadron machine number PM660 which flew from Wunsdorf Germany during 1950. The type C roundels and red codes appealed to me for some reason!

DSC03044.jpg

So with decalling progressing well (I like to take my time and seal opposing sides of a fuselage or wing with klear before I move on to the other side) all that remains to be done is adding the detail parts and scary things such as the whip aerial (which due to my over-eagrness to proceed will now need a hole drilling right along the fuselage top seam...)

DSC03043.jpg

Condensed group build report!

Will

Moving towards the finish line;

I sprayed the wheel hubs PRU blue, and painted the tyres Humbrol 67 'Tank Grey'. After it dried I washed liberally with black calligraphy ink (+ a couple of drops of washing up liquid to break the surface tension) I then left alone to allow the ink to find its own level.

DSC03046.jpg

DSC03045.jpg

I added a little bit of brown weathering to reprsent the effect of brakes-

DSC03050.jpg

For the exhausts I first painted the plastic parts citadel acrylic 'tin blitz' (great for radial engine collector rings by the way) I then scraped the dust of a red ochre pastel whilst still wet. Leave well alone for an hour and the result is a slightly dusty, mast rust finish. I didn't bother to drill out the exhausts, but I suppose I should have done.

DSC03047.jpg

The decaling was completed using the recently repainted BBMF Spitfire XIX as a guide and left-over airfix decals from a MkI. I should at this point say a huge 'bravo' to xtradecals whose decals have behaved impeccably throughout. The use of thick airfix MkI decals nearly spoiled this build- they just wouldn't react to microsol and even now look a little bulky on the aircraft.

DSC03048.jpg

DSC03049.jpg

I used Humbrol Satin varnish for enamel.

DSC03053.jpg

Shouldn't be long until it is complete. (edit: don't tell the missus about the use of the best china as a decal application tray..)

Will

Edited by Killingholme

• 4 weeks later...

Right, finished-just in time.

Managed to lose the tailwheel doors, and a serial number decal. I hope I can find them and finish this properly!

P1000023.jpg

P1000022.jpg

P1000043.jpg

P1000049.jpg

P1000050.jpg

My thanks to hosts JazzyJase and RAFColonel for running a super groupbuild- I have really enjoyed it and can count myself as a Spitfire modelling convert-got three on the bench at the moment!

Will