RCAF Mustang 1 with red rudder

Mentalguru

I have just found a well known and often reproduced photo of Mustang 1 of the RCAF code O serial AM251

Well - what is there to say this a/c does not have an all red rudder...?

I might try and find the photo on the web later as a treat for all you disbelievers lol

Well the rudder certainly doesn't look red to me, not when you compare it to the roundels. If anything I'd say it was an Olive Drab replacement rudder. Or simply fresh paint.

I too doubt that is a red rudder, but it certainly is a replacement. Now who will pull out the colour photo to prove me wrong?

Jim

It pays to remember that no fabric-covered areas should have flown in red primer. The instructions called for the primer to be covered by silver paint, to stop u/v rot setting in. Only in a dire emergency would this have been ignored. Model Alliance's On Target Profile no.2 leans towards an olive drab replacement.

Edgar

It pays to remember that no fabric-covered areas should have flown in red primer. The instructions called for the primer to be covered by silver paint, to stop u/v rot setting in. Only in a dire emergency would this have been ignored. Model Alliance's On Target Profile no.2 leans towards an olive drab replacement.

Edgar

I suppose o.d. wpould be quite feasible thinking about what thefctory was building at the time

but- maybe someone knows how to do that colorizing?