"Hot" Filler

Jasonb13

Hi all...

Yet another question from me! I've tried a few different fillers, the most recent one is from Halfords ( Cataloy Knifing Putty ). I've also started experimenting with removing excess filler before it dries fully using Nail Polish remover.

However, once or twice I've noticed the cotton bud getting 'stuck' to the area I'm trying to remove, almost like the filler, or maybe even the plastic, has melted a bit. To be honest, I can't tell if it's the filler, the plastic, the nail polish remover, what's causing the issue.

Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone know if other filler ( say Squadron White ) does this too? I'm just trying to figure out if it's the filler, or me not waiting long enough before using the nail polish remover, or am I using too much remover etc. etc.

Thanks...

J.

J. Here is your problem: The fingernail polish remover contains acetone. Depending on the strength of the acetone it will melt plastic as well as smooth/remove the filler.

I use paint thinner grade acetone to thin filler prior to applying the filler to the model. In fact if you thin the filler enough you can actually use a brush to "paint" the filler on..building up sucessive layers of filler without loosing too much detail.

Once I tried pharmacutical grade acetone and it was too strong. IT MELTED THE PLASTIC STRAIGHTAWAY..!!

HTH

Cheers,

ggc

Hi knifing putty is cellulose based and is melting the plastic i have used it on cars before try getting the acrylic stopper which is better

simon

Thanks for your replies, albeit with two different answers!

I'm using Acetone Free Nail Polish Remover, so I'm tempted to think it might be the putty?

J.

P.S. Actually, I just checked Halford's site, and they say the Knifing Putty is Acrylic based, not cellulose?

Edited by Jasonb13

I've used halfords cataloy acrylic putty on a lot of models, and never had any problem with it melting plastic. This on revell, machbox, airfix, monogram, hasegawa, italeri and hobbyboss plastics. As such, I suspect that whatever nail polish remover is what is causing the problem. Personally I use denatured alcohol to remove the filler before it dries or to smooth it. It's not aggressive on plastic and works well on the filler.

It was most probably me to suggest the halfords filler.

Check on the decal section, I talked a bit about denatured alcohol there. I dont think it's easy to find at all in Ireland, or at least I can't remember having found any. Here in Italy it's a very common product that can be found in every supermarket. See if you can lay your hands on any kind of alcohol used for cleaning, might work as well.

To smooth the filler, water can be used too, although works less well than alcohol

i use all sorts of fillers, squadron white and green, Mr putty etc

none of those have melted my model and i use the nail varnish remover method, but you do need the stuff with acetone its more an acetone solution so shouldnt be hot enough to melt your model... the stuff without acetone is useless and wont work

This to me seems to be a problem when discussing filler etc., so many different points of view! My non-acetone nail polish remover definitely removed the filler, but I lost detail on the model as well and as I said, the cotton in the cotton-bud started to stick to the model. That to me means something is definitely too 'hot' for the model, I just don't know if it's the filler or the nail-polish remover.

Not sure what to try now. I might have a look in Halfords to see the packaging for the Cataloy Knifing Putty to make sure it *is* acrylic based ( it doesn't say anything on the tube I have, apart from 'New Formula' ). I'd really like to find a putty and nail-polish remover that'll just work for me...

J.

Well, just did some simple tests. Firstly, I put some of the nail-polish remover onto a cotton bud and 'attacked' a piece of sprue ( actually a serial number stamped onto the sprue ) and no matter what I tried, the sprue and serial number were fine.

Then I put some filler on top of a different of the sprue ( covering a number on it ) and attacked it with a damp cotton bud ( no nail polish remover ) a minute later. I had definite problems, the cotton bud started to stick a little and the number printed on the sprue definitely faded and lost some of its sharpness.

So far, so pointing at the filler.

I've now put another bit on somewhere else and I'm going to let it dry and then see what happens when I try to clean it, both with water and with nail polish remover. But it looks like it might be the filler causing the issue, for some reason!

J.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a final update on this.

From all the tests I've done, it looks like the Halfords Filler along with Acetone Free nail polish remover has too hot for the plastic.

I've now tried Squadron White with Acetone nail polish remover and it seems to work just fine, so I'll go with this from now on.

Thanks...

J.

If you use fillers for any sort of deep or large repair where a relatively large amount of filler is concentrated, you might find it will start to melt plastic. As the filler hardens, it gives off heat & the more filler there is - the more heat is produced, so dependent on the depth / size of the area to be filled, it might be better to do it in two goes, especially if it's a "hot" filler to start with.

There are some fillers which don't give off much / any heat worth talking about, but most do.