Sunderland to Sandringham...

Indydog

Hi all,

I just joined today. A friend of mine suggested I post my inquiry here.

Has anyone ever converted the Airfix Sunderland to a Sandringham? I have the Mystery Resin Works 1/72 conversion set and was looking for a few hints before I go cutting up the Airfix kit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(I also have the 1/144 Canadian North Star conversion set, but that's for another day)

TIA,

Mark

If that is the same as a sunderland mk v then my father scratch built a conversion a few years ago to do the mini subs attached to the side of it

simon

Hi all,

I just joined today. A friend of mine suggested I post my inquiry here.

Has anyone ever converted the Airfix Sunderland to a Sandringham? I have the Mystery Resin Works 1/72 conversion set and was looking for a few hints before I go cutting up the Airfix kit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(I also have the 1/144 Canadian North Star conversion set, but that's for another day)

TIA,

Mark

G'day Mark, and welcome aboard!

I have an article on just this conversion done many years ago by one Dennis Brignell, a highly competent modeller, who build an Ansett Sandringham out of the Airfix kit. He did VH-BRF "Islander", but the article includes details on VH-BRC "Beachcomber" as well. It doesn't use Dana's bits, but it will be useful for you to show where to cut, etc. PM me your email and I'll send a scan.

DC

I have an article on just this conversion done many years ago by one Dennis Brignell, a highly competent modeller, who build an Ansett Sandringham out of the Airfix kit. He did VH-BRF "Islander", but the article includes details on VH-BRC "Beachcomber" as well. It doesn't use Dana's bits, but it will be useful for you to show where to cut, etc. PM me your email and I'll send a scan.

DC

Might I get a copy too? I 've long wanted to do a Sandringham. PM on the way!

Eric F aka Yankymodeler

DC

Can I get a copy too please?

Been on the 'thinking about it' stack for a while

bill_neill at live.com

thanks

Bill

Bear in mind VH-BRF, the subject of Dennis' article, is not a typical Sandringham. It was converted in Australia from a Sunderland and has a different nose and tail fairing shape, so your finishing options are limited to the one described in the article. The article is truly excellent though and gives lots of information about Sandringhams in general.

Decals are available - another reason to do that one.

The Dana Kopher bits are very good and take most of the work out of doing a Sandringham - the decals are going to be the hard part but there are 1/144 ones available as a help - just needs a bit of creativity.

It's only a matter of time before a Sandringham in a box arrives - that may be a long time though!

Only hijacking the thread a little bit, here's a Hythe from the Airfix Sunderland. It's 'Tahiti Star' a TOA boat as later used by Ansett (AFBS).

P1010422.jpg

Edited by Ed Russell

Hi All, don't forget that all the references you will need are on SEAWINGS - The Flying Boat website!

I have plans and interior references if anyone wants to go THAT far, and don't forget their is a brand-new Sunderland on it's way via Italeri.

Cheers,

Bryan