VW 1963 Micro Bus, Hasegawa 1/24th

Started this on Sunday and managed to get the interior and body painted by yesterday night. Some tidying up is needed on the red/white border but overall I am happy with the progress so far. The only variation to the kit so far is the color of the seats which I decided to paint red instead of grey. Its actually a very simple build and I have used rattle cans mostly so far. My only criticism of the kit is the lack of any detail on the interior of the body shell which means a lot of extra work if you want to do the open door option.

Andrew

OOBGroupBuild001.jpg

OOBGroupBuild002.jpg

Edited by AndrewE

Now finished. I have put it in a display case and given it to my wife who is rather fond of VW campervans, she has pointed out that the red I have used is different from the box top but since I'm color blind I think she is grateful I did'nt paint it green by mistake.

Overall quite pleased with it but I wish I could get a better finish on the paint.

Andrew

OOBGroupBuild004.jpg

OOBGroupBuild003.jpg

OOBGroupBuild005.jpg

Well having completed the Campervan I presented it to my wife (I bought the kit specially for her at Telford last year) in its own display case. She loves it (campervan mad) and puts it on display in her study on top of the small bookcase. However less than 24 hours later as she is sitting at her desk and I have just opened the door to speak to her, the heavy picture frame leaning up against the wall on top of the same book case decides it cannot stand upright any longer and slips forward propelling the Campervan onto the floor. :bristow: Luckily it is repairable as actual damage is restricted to a broken rear axel, wing mirror and a chip out of the roof above the windsrceen. It is now back on the workbench in the pending area waiting for repair.

The up side of sll this is she thinks it may be is an omen not to get a real one someday as it will oboviously come to some harm within 24hrs of buying it!

Andrew

Buscrash.jpg

Glad to see it's not that damaged! If I believed in fate I'd say it's 'cos you got it finished too quickly the first time! :)

J.

That did occur to me to!

Very nice and very quick work, shame about the damage, still at least it is repairable. Your wife will now want a real one to match the model (although 23 window Sambas are bloomin expensive nowadays).

How did the kit go together, I have one to build although I am converting it to an 11 window SO23 Westy, which will hopefully be a replica of one of my mate's buses).

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Hi...just looking at the build and i too am looking at getting better finishes. Are you brushing or spraying the paint? I recently bought some tamiya polishing compounds and they have worked brilliantly for me, I also use micromesh to colour sand the paint before final fnishing, I tend to use the 12000grit and use it very carefully. I am not a fan of the overly glossy finishes that you see when you use 2 packs but tamiya acrylic seem to polish up a treat. hope this helps.

Hi...just looking at the build and i too am looking at getting better finishes. Are you brushing or spraying the paint? I recently bought some tamiya polishing compounds and they have worked brilliantly for me, I also use micromesh to colour sand the paint before final fnishing, I tend to use the 12000grit and use it very carefully. I am not a fan of the overly glossy finishes that you see when you use 2 packs but tamiya acrylic seem to polish up a treat. hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try on the next car I do, I have a Fujimi Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet do sometime soon.

Andrew