POW to Ark Royal?

Phil Reeder

What is still confusing me is why only one CVA is being modified to CATOBAR when we no longer have VSTOL aircraft in service or on order.

Because the plan is to mothball the first (non-CATOBAR) ship when the second comes on line - which will be when the F-35C is schedules to come into service as well.

My own suspicion is that the plan is then to sell the first to the French to replace CdG, or modify it to CATOBAR as well.

How about HMS John Major?

Well it is grey after all.

I'm happy with Ark Royal, it's an iconic name especially in the minds of the general pubic......................a bit like Enterprise just without warp engines.

Are there rules for naming ships? I always though HMS Revenge was a great name for a ship, though perhaps it would be not politically correct enough these days.

Are there rules for naming ships? I always though HMS Revenge was a great name for a ship, though perhaps it would be not politically correct enough these days.

Revenge was actually used fairly recently, for one of the Polaris ballistic missile subs. She was only retired about 20 years ago, and is still stored at Rosyth dockyard.

I'm happy about Queen Elizabeth as a name (both were/are great monarchs), less so about Prince of Wales. I'd personally like to see the second become "Queen Victoria" - there has never been a "modern" (ie post-Dreadnought) ship named for Victoria. But then the last one that was met a rather unfortunate end (collided with Camperdown in the Med, and sank with great loss of life), so perhaps as inauspicious as PoW...

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...