1/48 Brit Catalina PBY-5

Not really be able to do any modelling for a few months now, new job, new kitchen and just life in general getting in the way...

I bought this a good few years ago, opened it up and did a little work on the cockpit then pushed it to one side... Well she's out again, hopefully a bit more successful this time!

First thing, this is bloody huge! wing span is about two foot, the fuselage has to be about 18 inches long...

I have the Aeromaster "Flying Cats Pt 1 "Foreign"" decal set and am planning to do FP225 of 240 Sqn (Special Duties Flight) aircraft.

To "help" I have the Eduard PBY-5A etch set and canopy mask, True detail Cockpit detail set, Master .50 and .30 brass barrels (these are amazing, so small and just so cool!) and while I was at the last Yeovilton show, I came across the Belcher Bits tail update that I paid a couple of pound for from a rummage box!

Cat001.jpg

Cat002.jpg

So, I've painted the cockpit and interior, and added bits from both Eduard and True Detail sets...

Stuff023.jpg

Stuff020.jpg

Stuff019.jpg

Stuff031.jpg

Stuff025.jpg

Got it installed

Stuff030.jpg

Stuff029.jpg

Stuff028.jpg

Stuff027.jpg

Sealed up and the tail fitted...

Cat003.jpg

Cat004.jpg

Can't see much...

Cat008.jpg

Cat005.jpg

Edited by OzH

• 1 month later...

Here's an update on the Cat...

Glazing on and ready for some paint

Cat014.jpg

Cat012.jpg

Tail's getting there

Cat013.jpg

Huge wings

Cat022.jpg

Now with floats

Cat017.jpg

Cat016.jpg

And engines

Cat019.jpg

Eduard etch is good...

Cat021.jpg

Some small parts ready to go...

Cat015.jpg

Cat023.jpg

Nice build, I've got two of these things in the stash and after seeing your work I'm wonder why, why did I get two........... :D

Looking forward to building them.

Keep you the good work and all the best

Steve

Really Nice - I have one of these to do too so watching your build closely!! :goodjob:

How are you going to display it btw? I've got the 5A with wheels - do you get the landing trolleys in this kit or are you going to mount it 'in the drink'?

Edited by timbo33

• 1 month later...

Well the Cat is ready for paint - but - as she's such a large aircraft, she's in a queue, waiting for a few smaller bits to be finished off...

:analintruder:Noooiiiceee, OzH...!!! :frantic:

How thick is the kit's tail compared to the Belcher Bits correction one? Mind takin' a picture of both tails just as they are in order to see it, please, mate? Thanks, bloke. :thumbsup:

Cheers now,

Unc²

Taken me a while, but as requested, some comparisons shots of the Belcher tail and the kit....

New008.jpg

New007.jpg

Really Nice - I have one of these to do too so watching your build closely!! :goodjob:

How are you going to display it btw? I've got the 5A with wheels - do you get the landing trolleys in this kit or are you going to mount it 'in the drink'?

Yep, you get the beaching gear, very basic, but it saves me creating a water feature..!!

Taken me a while, but as requested, some comparisons shots of the Belcher tail and the kit....

Many thanks, OzH, mate! Highly appreciate the gesture. :worthy: Honestly; I wouldn't have ever thought the kit tail were so awful now that I peep at the Belcher resin correction... :puke: Looks like it's gonna be necessary to order one for mine as well. On a 1 to 10 scale - bein' 1 too easy 'n' 10 too hard - whut d'ya think it'd be like to try 'n' correct this flaw of the kit tail doin' without the Belcher bit? Would it ever be possible?

:cheers: , OzH

Unc²

Hello OzH... greetings from Brazil my friend... if you please, tell me what did you used, and steps taked to achieve the interior faded green on the first pictures that you show... the white faded over de green base look great...

tks in advance

Shep

Edited by shepard

• 1 year later...