Revell B-17G plus a whole lot of Eduard photo etch (1:72)

I always thought it weird that no matter how up-to-date and detailed the kit is, there will still be people buying a heap of extras for it :)

Anyway, looking good so far! :D

I always thought it weird that no matter how up-to-date and detailed the kit is, there will still be people buying a heap of extras for it :)

It all depends on how detailed you want it to be. The etched sets definitely seem to be improving over the kit detail on this one (which is not always the case - sometimes the moulded in stuff is better than the etched replacements, especially if there's not much relief to the etching).

Nice work...are going to do a diorama for it?,maybe acouple of urk's doing working on the RCM gear in the bomb bay?...as it was rare to see the doors open on 100 Group Fortress III's other wise. Even when being worked on there would be a sentry on guard as the aircraft's equipment was classified

I have to be honest, I am in absolute awe of your work so far on this :):goodjob::gobsmacked:

Thanks Chaps!

A little more progress tonight. I've primed the inside of the fuselage with Alclad's spiffing black primer and micro filler ready for some colour. The rear fuselage (from the bomb bay backwards) was unpainted so I have applied a couple of coats of Citadel Chainmail, thinned with Tamiya thinner and blasted through the Iwata.

RevellB17Gbuild10.jpg

I've also started putting together the bulkheads and floors for the crew compartments, adding the Eduard etch bits and pieces as I go. It's a pretty slow pricess as I am using two etch sets for the interior, so everytime I think about sticking something together or painting it, I have to check three sets of instructions! Should be worth it in the end though.

RevellB17Gbuild11.jpg

Next up I'm going to get stuck into the cockpit and navigator/bomb aimer's compartment. I'll have to dip the side windows in Klear and install them before I get much further though.

Thanks for the info Dave, much appreciated. I found a picture of the jostle jammer - looks like it should be fairly straightforward to scratchbuild and fix to the bomb rack. Not sure if it is port or starboard rack from the pic though. The bomb bay definitely looks like it was unpainted though.

jostle4.jpg

Going by the picture above and by the picture from Eduard's site that you also posted earlier, the Jostle jammer is in the Port side of the bomb bay. You can tell this due to the direction of the diagonal bracket between the central bomb racks. It is not that easy to make out which way it is facing but it is do able. Hope this helps.

Gondor44

Thanks Gondor, port it is then. Right then, progress tonight: I've got some paint on the cockpit now, a mix of Tamiya colours to match the green used on the pre-painted etch. The etch goes on without any problems, especially the self-adhesive stuff. It's nice to see Eduard making life a little bit easier for modellers with this set!

RevellB17Gbuild12.jpg

I need to work on the forward compartment next.

• Like 1

That etch is lovely it must be said. However, it looks like they might end up in inverted flight with the control yokes positioned as they are, pilots are animals of habit...

gpit.jpg

I'm making steady progress with the front interior, just need to finish the crew seats now. Most of the Eduard etch is in place and the basic painting has been completed. Just need to add a coat of gloss varnish, a dark wash and then a coat of matt varnish and it's pretty much done.

RevellB17Gbuild13.jpg

Not long before I can move on to the rear interior.

The good folk at Eduard are going to send a review copy of their photo etch detail set for the rear interior, so I'm putting the fuselage to one side until that arrives. Plenty to do in the meantime though. I've started work on the engines and wings and have broken out the Eduard exterior detail set. Here you can see the lovely multi-part kit engines which I have assembled and painted. I have installed the Eduard etch wiring to the engine at the bottom left of the picture.

RevellB17Gbuild14.jpg

I have also added the etch interior for the main landing gear bay. A little careful bending with the pliers and it fits in place perfectly.

RevellB17Gbuild15.jpg

I've also added a couple of grilles on the upper wing. I need to cut the trailing edges of the wings next and remove the parts that will be replaced by the photo etch landing flaps. There's a surprising amount of etch to fit to the wings, so it should make quite a difference.

RevellB17Gbuild16.jpg

Tonights update: I'm halfway through the cutting and filing to accomodate the Eduard flaps that I prepared earlier (Blue Peter style). First I marked out the areas to cut and sand down, then I cut out the part for the flap in the lower wing and sanded down the inside of the upper wing. I then fitted the Eduard replacement for the inner surface of the flap.

RevellB17Gbuild17.jpg

RevellB17Gbuild18.jpg

RevellB17Gbuild19.jpg

RevellB17Gbuild20.jpg

One wing down, one to go!

Quick update: I've pretty much finished the landing gear bays and other wing details, using all the Eduard etch to complement the kit parts. Here's a quick snap of the main gear bay:

RevellB17Gbuild21.jpg

The main gear bays have been painted since this pic was taken and even if I say so myself they look rather nice with the etch details. All being well I should get the wing halves glued together tomorrow. After that I need to finish off a couple of bits and pieces in the cockpit and front interior, by which time I'm hoping the Eduard rear interior set should arrive. If not, I'll get cracking on the landing gear and put it to one side or start scratchbuilding the jostle jammer for the bomb bay (basically a bit of plastic tube with some gubbins stuck on here and there).

Quick update: not only have I got some paint on tonight but, after this pic was taken, I managed to glue wings together :D The main gear bays have also received a wash of oil colour.

RevellB17Gbuild22.jpg

Got some more Eduard etch to deal with, then I need to finish up with the cockpit. Better get round to ordering some roundels and dull red letters from Hannants. Does anyone know what size letters I need? 36" or 48"?

Although I've got a bit more to do on the wings, I decided to turn my attention to the front interior yesterday as I thought I ought to crack on and get it done. Here's a couple of pics of where I am - very nearly finished now, bar a few control levers from the Eduard photo etch set.

RevellB17Gbuild23.jpg

RevellB17Gbuild24.jpg

I used a piece of wood veneer for the navigator's table, borrowed from one of those real wood ship kits that I have as an ultra long-term project (should be finished by the time I retire in 33 years...). I'll finish the wings next and then if the detail set arrives from the good folk at Eduard it'll be on with the rear fuselage interior. If not, I'll probably finish the engines and props and get the undercarriage done so it will be ready to slot in at the end. :)

Just realised I haven't done the mid upper turret, so might have a bash at that next.