Airfix Lockheed F-117A 1/72

thought i would share my first kit in 20 years! the last model i made was the Tamiya Bradley sadly discontinued only the iraq 03 version is available now.

im lucky to have modellers world in halifax on my doorstep,the place has not changed in 20 years,same staff,same cramped shop with masses of kits piled high.i only had hour........plenty i thought but stepping inside the shop i realised i did not have enough time!what to get?

i needed something simple and that requires not a vast range of paints as im starting from scratch, so having to build up paints,brushes etc.........

i went for the Airfix 1/72 F-117A along with revell glue which seems to sets quicker than i remember along with acrylic paints which i have never used before...........its going to be interesting to see how i get on

terrible gap here so filled with plastic padding(i know the filler looks rough but easy to tidy up)

th_425549810_P2180003_122_913lo.JPG

insides given the 1st coat

th_255502573_P2180001_122_394lo.JPG

th_425550580_P2180002_122_541lo.JPG

need to find a good photo of the seat

thanks for looking any advice would be most welcome

I built this kit in 2006 and found it very enjoyable. Whilst it lacks detail compared to the Italeri kit, that isn't a bad thing since wrong details are worse than no detail.

I found it easy to build, and looked the part at the end - go ahead and enjoy!

well work is progressing slowly :closedeyes:

the basic kit is assembled and filled the gaps as previously mentioned and gave it a coat of matt black just to check for any more gaps,then gave it a rub down with very wet n dry paper, filled the rest of the gaps

th_448444283_f117a_122_587lo.jpg

the wing to fuselage join looks a lot better,due to its angular shape the sanding is easy with a little help from the grilfriends old nail polisher which turns out is ideal for modelling....loads of different attachments,its basically a mini dremmel

th_448435549_P2200028_122_510lo.JPG

fitted the wheels and dry fitted the glass,which i painted without masking as it would be hard to mask at this scale,it has a bad fit but looking here it seems the real one does too,but i will shave a mill off the base for a good fit

th_448461354_P2200027_122_183lo.JPG

so far im enjoying it a few little problems but im sure i can get over these

thanks for looking

as always any help or tips are most welcome

I can't see anything......... ;)

Edited by bruce3371

Don't be giving up. No one on here had a perfect model built from their first kit, or after a long hiatus. Practice makes perfect as they say. You will see builds on here by competition winners and magazine writers, all of whom will have tales of woe about kits fighting them every inch of the way. Don't be disheartened. Finish it, learn from it, and go out and get another one

Mark

Don't be giving up. No one on here had a perfect model built from their first kit, or after a long hiatus. Practice makes perfect as they say. You will see builds on here by competition winners and magazine writers, all of whom will have tales of woe about kits fighting them every inch of the way. Don't be disheartened. Finish it, learn from it, and go out and get another one

Mark

cheers

i have put the F-117 on the backburner, once i get back into it more i will try to finish it, i was never good at putting decals on 20 years ago.

now started a new project