RAF Colours WW2

Paul-H

Hi Guys

Looking for some advice of the correct colours to use on my RAF models

I use Humbrol, Revell and vellejo so what are the recomended colours to use on a RAF model

For

Green and Brown top surface a blue underside

and

Grey and green to serface and Grey? underside

I normally take the chickens route and use whats recomended in the instruction but suspect thats not the best option

So what do you recomend

This is what I have got from their verious instructions

Revell

Dark Green 68

Dark Earth 82

Sky 59

Greyish Blue 79

Medium grey 43

Greenish Grey 67

Humbrol

Dark Green 116

Dark Earth 29

Aircraft Blue 65

Medium Sea Grey 165

Ocean Grey 106

Vallejo

Dark Earth 029

Dark green 012

Sky 009

Ocean Grey 048

Medium Sea Grey 050

Thanks guys

Paul

From 1939 the main scheme was the Temperate Land Scheme : Dark Green and Dark Earth with various undersides, from mid 1940 fighters used Sky, bombers had black initially but Day bombers went to Sky.

Fighters later adopted the Day Fighter Scheme: Dark Green and Ocean Grey with Medium Sea Grey undersides

Maritime types used the Temperate Sea Scheme, Dark Slate Grey and Extra Dark Sea Grey initially the Fleet Air Arm used Sky Grey undersides, but Sky from September 1940.

Maritime Patrol types changed to white undersides and sides with (eventually) only Extra Dark Sea Grey tops

The Desert Scheme was Dark Earth and Mid Stone over Azure Blue

The Far East used the Temperate Land Scheme with Sky Blue undersides, later Medium Sea Grey

Later in the war the US scheme of Olive Drab over Neutral Gray (or a lighter grey) became common on US aircraft such as transports, light, medium and heavy bombers

PR aircraft mainly used PRU Blue

There were other schemes, and other details particularly PR and underside colours, but those were by far the most common. To check which commercial paints give the best matches look to websites such as IPMS Stockholm.

Alternatively just buy the more dedicated model paints such as Xtracolour and White Ensign rather than those from the more generic companies.

Vallejo

Dark Earth 029

Dark green 012

Sky 009

Ocean Grey 048

Medium Sea Grey 050

I can't comment on Humbrol or Revell, I use Tamiya and Vallejo pretty much exclusively.

029 Dark Earth is certainly in the Ball Park, but I found 012 Dark Green to be a little too "Grey"... I ended up with Tamiya XF-81 (RAF D. Green).

The colour conversion charts show XF-81 as FS34079 which in turn equates to Vallejo Air 016 US Dark Green... Which is also a colour match for Humbrol 116 apparently.

Humbrol

29 Matt Dark Earth & Hu: 116 Matt US Dark Green, camouflage

23 Matt Duck Egg Blue

106 Matt Ocean Grey & Hu: 116 Matt US Dark Green

147 Matt Light Grey

Vallejo

009 Duck Egg Green, undersurfaces

016 US Dark Green & 029 Dark Earth

051 Barley Grey for undersurfaces

052 German Grey & 016 US Dark Green for upper camouflage

• Like 1