Red Arrows Hawk T1A

This is looking very good, I have a slightly smaller red to do for the Hawk GB and hope I can get mine looking as good as yours. I haven't really checked out my kit but i'll be checking the decals to see if it has the same issue as the Revell one for the arrow underneath. I also use the Halfords paints so I'll see if I can find the one you used next time I'm in there it looks very good

Cheers

Graham

Hi Graham

Thanks for your comments. Which one are you building for the GB? I felt like a real muppet in Halfords holding my phone with one of my pictures on the screen against the red paint aerosols of all the manufacturers from Audi to Volvo! I must say that I am happy with Fiat Red Orange (especially as I got it free having received a £10 voucher when i bought a new Sat Nav!)

Hi,

Well, all the decals are now in place (except the "Rescue" ones for the canopy.) The decals for the MDC on the canopy were a pain and I'm not sure how they will look, as the Klear hasn't dried yet.

I'm not sure how well the canopy will fit, as it doesn't seem to sit very well.

I still haven't summoned the courage to take the saw to the doors yet!

I'm not going to have time to work on this for a few days, so I thought I would take a few pictures so that I can be motivated when I look at it on my phone!

hawkdecals-1.jpg

hawkdecals1.jpg

hawkdecals2.jpg

hawkdecals3.jpg

hawkdecals4.jpg

hawkdecals5.jpg

Hi Graham

I have built one of the 1/48 Italeri Hawks and it went together without a hitch. I marked it as the 19 Squadron SpitHawk. I liked it so much, I bought another one for the excellent price of £15 at Southern Expo. I look forward to seeing yours.

Hi

The end is in sight! I really want to finish the Hawk this weekend.

I have attached most of the fiddly bits, but still need to paint and fix the blast shield, touch up the paint inside the cockpit and permanently attach the air brake, wingtip nav lights and canopy.

hawknearly.jpg

hawknearly1.jpg

Edited by Alpha Delta 210

Excellent result Alpha, she looks great!

The canopy fits great, I love the explosive lines on the glass for ejection. Was that painted or a decal? And how did you find cutting the undercarriage doors?

J.

Thanks, Jason. The canopy is not a perfect fit, and I couldn't match the red of the canopy frame to the fuselage, but it looks OK in the pictures! The MDC on the canopy is formed from 2 separate decals, which were a bit of a pain to line up without any reference points on the frame.

I was very brave with the doors - I just went for it with the razor saw and had no mis-haps! There are some more pictures of the finished article here.

Edited by Alpha Delta 210

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job. I just started mine a week or so ago. I haven't experienced any fit issues (yet!). However, in addition to the God awful red colour of the parts, the plastic itself seems a little different to any other kit I've built! It's hard to sand & doesn't stick to well. In addition, sanding leaves a strange residue all over the parts.

Did you manage to decipher Revell's instructions for the nose gear bay area? Not sure I did!! :hypnotised::deadhorse:

Thanks for your comments, guys.

I have just read the review of the kit in the latest "Military in Scale", and have concluded that my problems with the kit were probably self-induced!

No Graham, I didn't decipher the instructions for the nose gear bay, and had to hack the doors about as a result! Having said that, I don't find Revell instructions easy to follow at the best of times - more MFI than IKEA!