RAF Harrier GR.7

Hello,

time to go on with my Harrier GR.7 too...

Air-to-Air dedicated pylon in the box are a far representation of the real one! Here the pylons compared: on top of the picture the kit's one and on the bottom the one I've reshaped and detailed.

GR79_49.jpg

Then, attached under the pylon I need a missile's rail... the kit provide the "slick" one, a little bit basic for me.

From mid '90s the GR.7/9s were fitted with BOL laucher rails, so I started from a good resin "slick" rail and add some details using plasticard pieces and photoetched parts.

GR79_50.jpg

GR79_51.jpg

GR79_52.jpg

GR79_53.jpg

Some of the GR.7s and all the GR.9s were fitted with "frog eyes" air scoops over the engine access panels. I found a couple good for me in shape and size.

Not for GR.7/9s but good for the AV-8b+ (one of the next projects...) I made from scratch the big airscoop too.

GR79_48.jpg

All of the parts above will be casted and resin copied.

CIAO!

Piero

... something more.

Because my Harrier GR.7 will be with 100% "big" LERXs, I've to make them from scratch.

I don't want to make a cast of the "big" LERX because the pieces are big and not all the GR.7/9s were fitted with.

So, here some tips to make a new 100% LERXs using only plasticard's sheets.

Just cutting off the "small" LERXs from the upper part of the kit's wing using a knife. You have to follow the underside edge on the kit's LERXs... do not cut off from the top of the wing!

I used .50mm plasticard's sheet for the main LERX parts and .25mm sheet for the covers/joint parts.

The main parts were shaped following a scale template and curved just using my hands... that's all.

Cyanoacrylic glue and Tamiya Thin glue were used to fix the LERXs parts in place.

GR79_43.jpg

GR79_44.jpg

GR79_45.jpg

GR79_46.jpg

GR79_47.jpg

After the glue was dried, I'd put some milliput inside between the LERXs and the engine top access panels, just to follow the edge where the parts will be join the fuselage.

I like the result.

CIAO!

Piero

• Like 1

Superb BOL and LERX Piero!

Any chance of some photos of the LERX undersides and also, maybe by using tape on the new 100s, a better indication of the cut lines you used to remove the 65s?

Thanks!

Ciao,

Nick

Edited by NG899

• 5 weeks later...

Very nice conversion of the LERX :thumbsup2:

After looking at my kit I've found another panel line that don't match the real aircraft. The panel which wear to squadron markings has a line across rear section which needs filling and screw hole repositioning.

Shaun.

• 5 weeks later...
Any more progress?, how are the resin sets coming along?

Shaun.

Hello Shaun,

resin sets are coming well, will be ready for the end of august.

We have 3 different sets, a "generic" detail set fitting all the Harrier II varints, the second set is specific for the RAF GR.7/9 kit, and the last one set includes six new underwing pylons.

As soon as I'll be back from my summer vacation I'll post an update with the all the parts ready to go.

CIAO!

Piero

P.S.: I've also spent my freetime going on with the big AV-8B model... its almost ready for the painting stage. CIAO!

Hello Shaun,

resin sets are coming well, will be ready for the end of august.

We have 3 different sets, a "generic" detail set fitting all the Harrier II varints, the second set is specific for the RAF GR.7/9 kit, and the last one set includes six new underwing pylons.

CIAO!

Piero

Interesting news, look forwards to seeing the sets.

6 pylons?, I presume you have redone the outer pylons?

Shaun.

Hello,

thank you all for the nice comments on this topic and on the resin parts that are just crossing the finish line.

I'm sorry for the delay on this model, on the AV-8B and on the resin sets, but summer time in Italy is very hot... not the best weather for stay at home sanding&painting&casting... ;-)

I'll be back on the model desk next week and I'll resume this project, the AV-8B and the resin sets as well.

CIAO!

Piero

• 2 weeks later...

Just starting to get together the bits for my 94 Green Trumpeter Harrier GR7

I've amassed about three sets (six units ) of the Flightpath CBU-87bb models in resin in 1/32

CBU87_1.jpg

I'm only going to need one set if anyones interested?

I've also a set of AGM-65 Mavrick Missiles with photoetch rails that also won't be suitable for a 94 GR7 again PM me if interested

Regards

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I stumbled across this thread while resarching the Trumpeter GR.7 kit as I would really like one. A shame about the errors but you're doing a great job correcting them. I'll be following this thread closely and look forward to seeing further progress.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...