Tanzanian MiG-15UTI

Foxbat

As a morale booster after the Il-2 part 1 and a battle with a Hobbycraft Foxbat (of which more anon), I thought a quick morale booster was in order. I'd previously got hold of the Hobbycraft MiG-15 but researching the more interesting colour schemes suggested they actually belonged on the UTI rather than the single seater. That's not a problem, you can't have too many MiGs.

So, this is the kit:

DSC00293.jpg

And the Hobbycraft decal sheet:

DSC00296.jpg

With the intended colour scheme:

DSC00295.jpg

Other pictures found online suggest the zebra should be further forward with the number between it and the leading edge of the wing, so that's the way I'm going.

Andy

Edited by Foxbat

cool. looking forward to this, i have just built and completed it. few little niggles but a nice kit. trouble is, if you look through the front you can see the stupid way they added the bits to connect top to bottom. i made FOD guards for mine.

As this is a quick and dirty build as light relief, I won't be spending any time on detailing or improvements - this is a build purely for slapping some interesting decals on. With that in mind, this is the end of building on day 1:

DSC00297.jpg

This is really the end of day 1 with the upper surfaces decalled and some of the detail painting done. Aim to have it finsihed by Monday:

DSC00299.jpg

Andy

Well, didn't quite make my own deadline (why do 4 day weekends involve so much time in the pub?), but have made progress. Construction is essentially finished - I copied Giogio's trick of carving off the mounting lugs in the intage, but otherwise everything is out of the box. Weathering is a little heavy, hopefully it will settle a bit under the final varnish. Got to add the airbrakes and canopy, and do a little detail painting, but it's about there.

One tip for others building this kit: using blue tac to make the bulkhead behind the rear seat is quick and effective, but it undoes all the weight hidden in the nose. Doh!! :banghead:

Anyhoo, a pic:

DSC00301.jpg

Andy

Very interesting subject!

Have you managed to find any photographs to verify this scheme?

Not as such. The only picture I've found is on acig.org and it refers to both the Hobbycraft kit, and a Russian kit so a bit circular as references go. MAVDecals from South Africa do a sheet for the same scheme so if it's fictional it's a well established fiction.

My final choice is a synthesis of the MAVDecals/acig picture (for the zebra, plus placement of the buzz number on the nose) plus the Hobbycraft instructions for the yellow nose and rudder which I have no independent pictures of. The serials aren't 100% accurate either, but they're what I had so I'm using them.

So, not quite verifiably real, but not quite a 'what if' either, and more real than using the same markings on the single seater kit they came with.

Andy

Nice one...what scale?

Ta. I can see what people mean now about things looking worse in pictures than in reality though. It's 1:72, and as others have noted, in that scale it's tiny - about the same fuselage length as a Spit, but with a shorter span.

Andy

Ta. I can see what people mean now about things looking worse in pictures than in reality though. It's 1:72, and as others have noted, in that scale it's tiny - about the same fuselage length as a Spit, but with a shorter span.

Andy

Nice one all the same.

• 1 month later...

Well in the end it wasn't that quick, but it is quite dirty...

Whilst there are still things I could do, I'm calling this one finished so I can attempt to finish at least one of the other builds I've started.

A quick shot here, others are in the gallery.

MiG-15UTI2.jpg

Andy