Revell's new 1/72nd B-17G

The olive drab anti-dazzle panels have been added, along with the ailerons . The decals are now on too - they went on beautifully, well done Revell!

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

Next step is to get the engines and undercarriage completed.

A little more progress over the last evening or two...

Engines have now been added, as has further detail to the wheel bays such as the oil tanks etc. The gear has also been added.

P7140674.jpg

P7140675.jpg

P7140677.jpg

P7140678.jpg

For a 1/72nd kit the engine detail, is in my opinion, excellent. This little model is certainly value for money! I just need to finish off the anti-dazzle areas on the cowlings and then I can get a coat of Xtracolour Matt Varnish on.

That looks awesome Tom, really well finished :speak_cool:

Not far off RFI now I guess ?

Si.

Cheers Si - and yes not far to go!

The Fort is now finished.

Xtracolour Matt Varnish was applied, then all the fiddly bits were added. Finally, I gave her a few oil and exhaust stains - I tried to get the reddish-brown stains to follow the pattern they make on the real thing - overall I don't think they look too bad. This particular B-17 had flown a fair few missions by the time she was written off in April 1945 so the staining would have been quite heavy.

I certanly loved every minute of this build; it is packed with detail, goes together beautifully and the decals are top quality. The only modifications I made were to lower the top turret a little as I felt it looked too high when together. Also, when researching this particular B-17 I found out the entire left outer wing section was replaced, not just the upper panels as shown in the kit instruactions. This B-17 never had the black de-icing boots either.

This is certainly a cracking little kit... and there will be many more to follow. A B-17 from every Eighth Airforce bomb group perhaps...?

P1000971.jpg

P1000972.jpg

P1000976.jpg

More pictures in Ready for Inspection.

very inspirational Tom - one of these is on my to-get-and-build list so I hope when I do it turns out as good as yours

very inspirational Tom - one of these is on my to-get-and-build list so I hope when I do it turns out as good as yours

Thanks Kev... it certainly is a cracking little model. Thoroughly recommended.

Stunning job Tom, from the looks of it, it definately blows the 1/48 memphis belle version out of the water!

Absolutely!