Airacobra Bell Green

SUNDON

I’ve just opened the lid on my latest project the Eduard P-38Q Airacobra and after a quick look at the instructions and a hour or so on the web I’ve already come to a problem. BELL GREEN . My problem is either to dig deeper into this or to use a standard interior green for the cockpit and other parts. Any help or advice on my problem would be a great help as I just can’t decide what I should do.

p-39q.png

Thanks

Martin

I’ve just opened the lid on my latest project the Eduard P-38Q Airacobra and after a quick look at the instructions and a hour or so on the web I’ve already come to a problem. BELL GREEN . My problem is either to dig deeper into this or to use a standard interior green for the cockpit and other parts. Any help or advice on my problem would be a great help as I just can’t decide what I should do.

p-39q.png

Thanks

Martin

If you care to drop me a pm with your email address I'll send you some colour details.

Regards

Nick

Nick!

I have Bell interior Green as just another variation of Dark Dull Green... are we facing another case of "dangerous half-knowledge"? though honest it is, I tell you... would you share?

Fernando

Bell Green was just a local reference for Interior Green. Unlike Curtiss's contracted for interior green, there seems to be no evidence of a Bell color. The other issue is that many parts of the cockpit were subcontracted, so the color differed in various parts of the cockpit. The early P-39s were Bronze Green 'pits, but by the Q it was an interior green.

Also check references for the props, The P-39 seems to have received props from the subcontractor without yellow tips. It was hit and miss. The props could also be an odd gray color.

p-39q.png

Thanks

Martin

can of worms Martin!

Does seem that Bell used a darker shade of interior green than usual, the also used a colour like medium green or bronze green. But, there are a couple of unrestored Airacobra's, and there are gallery's of them on the web.

One is in Finland, and is a Soviet P-39, the other was at a museum in Niagara Falls IIRC. (I think Bell P-39Q-15-BE Airacobra "Galloping Gertie 44-2433)

this is the Finnish one, some detail shots here http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/...p?showtopic=306

note dark interior colour, compare seat frame bulkhead to external olive drab, the seat is apparently bakelite according to the orig caption.

DSCN0283.jpg

also, the gear wells are in what looks like interior green, but the inner door and gear leg are dark green, like medium green. Also note the zinc chromate between the door and well. (the yellow green colour)

airacobra_26_09.jpg

more pics here http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/english/phot...koski/index.htm

but there are quite a few gallery of '26' online if you look.

The other one I think I have bookmarked on another computer, can't find it by searching, but there is/was a walkround showing the inside which is pretty dark green in shade IIRC. Have a search your self, or maybe someone else can post the link.

HTH

T

Edited by Troy Smith

Bell Green was just a local reference for Interior Green. Unlike Curtiss's contracted for interior green, there seems to be no evidence of a Bell color. The other issue is that many parts of the cockpit were subcontracted, so the color differed in various parts of the cockpit. The early P-39s were Bronze Green 'pits, but by the Q it was an interior green.

Also check references for the props, The P-39 seems to have received props from the subcontractor without yellow tips. It was hit and miss. The props could also be an odd gray color.

Hi Steve,

I keep confusing "BG" with "DDG". You mean BG the one like 34092 and DDG the one like RLM70 (roughly speaking)? Far from my references now (deployed to China for some time)!

Regarding the Yellow prop tips, my theory is that Airacobras on British orders usually have they painted, but not those on American ones. Those I have seen showing Yellow tips are always P-400s. What do you think?

Fernando

I had the same problem about a year ago and after studying photos and reading forums, I just plumped for medium green, right or wrong

The P-39 seems to be a classic example of doing business in the US. There are other un-restored P-39s that show ZC(yellow) in the wells and interior spaces.

Interior Green was mixed at the factory, so it color could vary depending on who mixed it, the mix ratio and so on. Only after ANA colors were adopted was there a chip for IG. But that was too late for Bell.

The seat is not Bakelite. It is scrap material and resin that is formed. Close ups show the various little bits compressed into a seat. Bakelite is smooth, hard and very brittle. Also, the composite seat was not used in all P-39s.

Subcontractors seemed to rule.

http://community.webshots.com/album/170438...LAJTlb?start=24

Edited by Steven Eisenman

Hope this can be of help...

Taken from the Erection and Maintenance manuals of both the Bell P-59 (TO AN 01-110FF-2) and the Bell P-63 (TO AN 01-110FP-2):

All metal parts such as struts, forks, etc., which form a part of the alighting gear and, which are exposed when the gear is lowered, receive two coats of dull Army-Navy interior green lacquer in addition to the coat of zinc chromate primer specified above. Parts and interior of the wheel wells are finished with one coat of zinc chromate primer only

Two coats of the same dull Army-Navy interior green lacquer are called for in the “PAINT FINISH FOR CABIN INETRIOR” section, with stainless steel, unplated steel and aluminum alloy rivets to receive one coat of primer prior to their application.

Now, one would be inclined to believe this dull Army-Navy interior green lacquer to be color No. 611 of the ANA Bulletin 157, however…

The list of the materials to be used in TO AN 01-110FF-2 shows the following, two green lacquers:

Olive Drab Camouflage Lacquer, Shade No. 41 of AC Bulletin No. 41”, and

Medium Green Camouflage Lacquer, Shade No. 42 of AC Bulletin No. 41

Whereas TO AN 01-110-FP-2, shows:

Olive Drab Camouflage Lacquer, Shade No. 613 of Bulletin No. 157A”, and

Medium Green Camouflage Lacquer, Shade No. 612 of Bulletin No. 157A

Given that, in both cases, the Olive Drab is to be used for exterior camouflage, the dull Army-Navy interior green lacquer can only be the Medium Green Shade No. 612 of Bulletin No. 157A or the similar Medium Green Shade No. 42 of AC Bulletin No. 42.

and therefore this should be the Bell Interior Green, at least for the N and Q versions of the P-39.

My :2c:

Regards,

• Thanks 1

Medium Green was approved for interior colors. It was used on the B-26. OD was also an option. Often the insulation blankets in the cockpits of B-25s, B-26s and B-17s were OD.

It is possible that Bell used camou paint, to save money more than anything given Bell's condition, to paint interiors. It is also possible that they used whatever else was cheap and available.

Thanks for that reference

Just a quick thanks for all the advice and info everyone has given to me for my build.

This is the colour I've decieded to use for the cockpit.

PICT0236.jpg

Just need to decide about the wheel wells and other areas now.

Thanks again

Martin.