Apollo Lunar Module in 1:48

So here is the box and sprue shots:

DSCF3795.JPG

As you can see from the labels, it was going cheap in the sale at ModelZone earlier in the year so I couldn't resist it.

Its a big box and the sprues are also appropriately big!

The plastic is the usual Revell silvery-grey, but I've already given them a coat of primer in these shots

DSCF3796.JPG

DSCF3797.JPG

There is also a sheet of "gold" leaf to coat the lower part of the lander and a strip of clear acetate to make the windows, but I didn't include these in the shots.

Welcome to the build, for nearly 2 years I have been trying to build the revell saturn V which has a 1/96th version of this as part of the kit. I,ll not only watch with interest but may use your build to help finish a part if mine

Happy Modelling

Graham

So having primed some parts and begun looking at assembly I realise that this is a quite poor kit!

For a start fit looks terrible:

DSCF3798a.jpg

Next looking at the docking ring on the top, there are huge pin marks, which sadly I forgot to photograph before sanding down, but amazingly enough you can see them in one of the assembled pics on the side of the box!

DSCF3800.JPG

Anyway, the docking ring on the model is nothing more than a cylindrical hole in the top do the ascent stage. WRONG!

mid-Apollo_15_TandD.ogg.jpg

So I'm building this up from modelling clay to approximately the right shape:

DSCF3798b.jpg

There are two astronauts, one with a backpack for EVA and one without for the inside of the module. Neither go together well and a lot of sanding along the joints are required

DSCF3802.JPG

Next I'll be reshaping the outside of the ascent stage as well as starting on the inside.

I've decided that a small white LED will be enough to illuminate the interior so to power this I'll be inserting a 6v battery pack into the descent stage, opening a hole in the base of the ascent stage to pass wires up into the cockpit. I'll also arrange some sort of releasable hinge for the underside of the descent stage to allow access to the battery pack. All that is work in progress...

Edited by Kallisti