1/32nd Revell Hawk T1

Shaun

This is my second entry into the group build.
Here is a photo the real XX307 doing its normal everyday job, teaching pilots the art of low flying.
The shot was taken a few years ago in the Mach loop by myself, hence the reason I'm building "307"

307full.jpg

Second pass, I think he saw me

Wave307.jpg

Here is the typical starting point photo, Revell 1/32nd kit, Xtradecal sheets for the markings.

208start.jpg

A bit of reference material to help along the way-

208books.jpg

This morning I started a bit of construction, update may follow this evening.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Today I did a little progress on the project.

The plan is to make an in flight model with 2 crew and the gear up.

With the plan of having the cockpit closed, I've only added a little detail to the side walls to make the cockpit look a little more busy. I also drilled out the holes in the rear combing and added some wire to make it look cluttered. The detail is not 100% but most will be covered by the seats and pilots.

Cockpit-2.jpg

Another quick check over and it should be ready for paint.

Today I also got the main wing together and fitted the closed main gear doors, the fit of these are good and will not need a lot of clean up for a good look.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Got the cockpit all most done this weekend, just a few small things to do and I'll take a photo.

I like the standard line scheme as the Hawk is the most common RAF jet I see these days! :angry:

Hopefully this&next month will see more front line traffic as a period of Afghanistan work ups are planned for the local range but I would not be surprised if all we get are 100 sqn and 19 Sqn Hawks to work with the JTAC's.

Maybe the rumoured Super Hornets will arrive but I'm still fingers crossed on that one. :whistle:

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Here are a couple of shots of the all most complete cockpit. There are a few small things to paint before the canopy goes on, but these can still be reached once its all together.

Hawkcockpit1.jpg

Note the resin NACA duct added on the nose ahead of the windshield.

Hawkcockpit2.jpg

As you can see I've added the GPS sets to the dash and painted the dials to show the aircraft in a right hand turn.

For the seats I just lowered the seat pads to make the pilots fit in, the straps will be finished once the crew are seated.

I've still got to finish the pilots but their aircraft is not ready for them yet :winkgrin:

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

that tub looks fab, how did you make the GPS boxes. mine will be flying aswell and im copying you!

I scratch built one then made a couple of copy's in resin.

Do you want a pair?

I'm going to make my screens live on the finished cockpit, they are painted green just for effect so i could post progress shots tonight.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

I scratch built one then made a couple of copy's in resin.

Do you want a pair?

I'm going to make my screens live on the finished cockpit, they are painted green just for effect so i could post progress shots tonight.

Shaun.

yes please PM inbound

Another area I have been working on is the tail area, as many have notised Revell gave the area ahead of the tail planes a bulged look. On the real aircraft this blend into the fuselage contours, so what I've done is glue a piece of spare sprue on the inside and attacked the outside with a file until I just broke though the plastic. I then filled and sanded back with various grades of papers.

I know it was a bit of effort but this area now looks a look better.

Tailareareprofile.jpg

Another strange omission from the moldings are the lack of the NACA ducts at the base of the fin. The triangle shaped panels are marked but are flat to the surface. To get around the problem, I made copys of the underwing vents in resin and then cast these with a surounding block so they could be dropped into the area where the duct should be. In the photo you can see a spare resin duct on the desk.

Another one of these ducts was required to replace the missing one on the nose area.

The area to the rear of the tail planes above the jet pipe will also need building up(Late Hawks have an extended area above the jet pipe, that was also retrofitted to all RAF Hawks), but I'll do this once the fuselage is togeather.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

Done a little more work on the Hawk.

I decided to tackle the intakes.

The kit items are a bit thick at the lip and are square on the vertical outside edge, so I've took a file to them to add a more rounded profile to the opening and also thinned the intakes lips

Before

intakes.jpg

After

intake.jpg

This did not take long to do and I think makes the intakes look a lot better.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

• 3 weeks later...
Hopefully this&next month will see more front line traffic as a period of Afghanistan work ups are planned for the local range but I would not be surprised if all we get are 100 sqn and 19 Sqn Hawks to work with the JTAC's.

Maybe the rumoured Super Hornets will arrive but I'm still fingers crossed on that one. :whistle:

Shaun.

Well the above exercise did get in the way, not done much model with the Hornets about every day and night for a week.

Not a lot has been done on the model really.

I have been adding the screw holes to the panels(why did Revel miss these :undecided: ) and rescribing a few panel lines lost during sanding.

The model will be mounted inflight on a pole,so I've attached a piece of brass rod into the area between the intake tunnels. After a little playing around I'm happy with the angle of the Hawk on the pole :thumbsup2:

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

shaun just for info, a 12mm clear rod fits perfectly in the tail pipe

Thanks for that, bit late now as I've gone for a pole inserted thought the centre of the wing area behind the main gear doors.

I've got a large block of wood as a base, and will be mounting the pole near the centre of this.

Shaun.

Thanks for that, bit late now as I've gone for a pole inserted thought the centre of the wing area behind the main gear doors.

I've got a large block of wood as a base, and will be mounting the pole near the centre of this.

Shaun.

sorry i was late mate, i was testing the other day for mine as im planning to make a display stand holding 1 x 32, 2 x 48s, and 3 , 72s one of each colour style, but thats a secret

• 2 weeks later...

Small update-

I've now finished fitting the brass pole that I intend to display the model on, I got this from Model zone.

After a few trial mounting angles, I'm now happy with how the model will look once mounted.

A neat little feature of the Revell kit is seperate control surfaces allowing me to position the ailerons at a raised/lowered angle.

It looks little untidy inside, but it will never be seen again once it all glued togeather. :whistle:

Rod.jpg

The main gear doors have also been fitted,a lovely tight fit with little work required to clean the area up :thumbsup2:

polemount.jpg

Here is a shot of the kit in a mocked up state to show the display angle I have chosen for the finished model.

Hawkonpole.jpg

I'm still working on the aircrew. These are from the Academy F-18 but need a little tweaking to become closer looking to RAF flyers.

Progress is slow at the moment but it is moving forwards!

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Shaun,

Ive just caught this thread and I'm enjoying the work you've done so far.

Have you made any progress lately?

:hobbyhorse:

Only slow!, the summer past times have taken over at the moment, hope fully get back into it soon.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun