Transport Wings 1:72nd Boeing 747-100 SCA

Here's something I wanted for many years. I got the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft conversion as well, so I'm going to build 905 as she appeared during the approach and landing tests at Dryden in October 1977, simply because I love the American Airlines NMF scheme it still sported. The Shuttle on it's back will be the Revell kit, as it bears a better resemblence to Enterprise, and this will be based on pictures of the final A and L test, where it flew without the engine fairing.

Anyway waffle over. Here be the pictures

The box artwork

DSCF0165.jpg

A fusalage half...

DSCF0166.jpg

To give some idea of the size, heres a 1:72nd Spitfire on the tail

DSCF0167.jpg

And finally the decals from the conversion set

DSCF0168.jpg

Onwards and upwards as they say,

Mark

Edited by chadders

First job was the horizontal stabilizers. These are formed from 3 parts, the bottom and 2 top parts. This arrangement ensures that the correct angle is acheived without any fuss. The trailing edges needed thinning quite alot, but with a little time and patience a pleasing result is your reward. I then scribed in the main panel lines, with the movable surfaces being excentuated more.

DSCF0198.jpg

DSCF0199.jpg

Mark

i really dont want to sound rude, but would you mind telling how much that sort of kit costs, i mainly use hannants and i have not seen one on hannants before, equally how much would a 1/72 shuttle set you back, as im damned tempted to pick them up for my dad.

Fantastic work by the way, really cannot wait to see this one come to fruitation.

i really dont want to sound rude, but would you mind telling how much that sort of kit costs, i mainly use hannants and i have not seen one on hannants before, equally how much would a 1/72 shuttle set you back, as im damned tempted to pick them up for my dad.

Fantastic work by the way, really cannot wait to see this one come to fruitation.

Hi,

Check there : http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TW7212001

Cheers,

S.

And here for the SCA conversion

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TWC72001

and then here for a shuttle

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RV4733

Not the cheapest project, but one I've been promising myself for many many years, and the enjoyment to £ factor is quite reasonable in my eyes so it's all good

Well, thanks to Will and Kate I've been able to do a little more on the build today. The main bulk of the work done was the building of the nose gear bay. A set of templates is included to build this, but after building one from the supplied 2mm sheet using these templates I thought I may open up all the gear doors. This would mean that the gear bay as built would not be deep enough at the forward part of the undercarriage, so a new was built. This isn't a fault with the kit, as the forward doors shouldn't be open on the ground anyway, so the kit supplied templates would suffice, its just me making work for myself. As you can see, the new one is now deep enough for the wheels to retract into (if they could anyway). All the detail work still needs to be done, but you get the idea of where I'm going with it. Now I have the shape of this part right I can cut this shape into the structural keel, and then fit the keel into the fusalage.

These first shots show the difference between the bay built from the templates and the one I designed and built

DSCF0200.jpg

DSCF0202.jpg

Then this is the finished artical

DSCF0204.jpg

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Well, its been a little while since my last update so here's what I've been up to. Its not a great deal but life has been getting in the way just recently. Here are the 2 scratch built main gear bays. Built up, as with the nose bay, from the supplied 2mm sheet. I used the set of supplied templates to get the basic shape and then tweeked them to get the best fit within the lower wing.

DSCF0206.jpg

DSCF0207.jpg

And this is them loosely dropped in place.

DSCF0208.jpg

As with the nose bay, these are just the basic shape to get the positioning right. All details will be added later,

Mark

blimey i still cannot get over how big this is, ok silly question time, are you going to super detail this bird, also those are going looking scratch built bays there, once all the detail is added they will look stunning.

I'm not going to be adding anything to the interior, or drop the flaps etc. I will be scribing in all the panel lines and access hatches etc, and I'll also be adding the strenghening plates around the Shuttle supports.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Progress has been slow, but I've finally got the keel in place. Lots of measuring, cutting, sanding, measuring, cutting sanding, but I figured its better to take my time, and get it right, than rush and make a ball up. The keel has been secured with lashings of " tube" cement (can't remember the last time I used glue out of a tube!), and I'm going to give this plenty of time to fully set before I get the two fusalage halves together

keel.jpg

Mark

• 5 weeks later...

Work continues at a glacial pace!! The reason being is that in an attempt to get the strongest bond possible I'm flooding the joints with tube cement (God knows when the last time I used tube cement was, but I've got shed loads of the stuff from all the starter sets that I've bought over the years!), a section at a time, leaving it a couple of days, doing the next section and so on and so on, and the using 5 minute epoxy on the inside of the joints where ever I can. Seems to be working so far, and here is the fusalage almost together.

DSCF0333.jpg

Now you will notice a small gap the middle of the fusalage. When I started glueing the fusalage halves together, I started at the nose and was going to work backwards. Anyway, I glued the nose together left it for a couple of days and was just about to glue the next section when I noticed that one half was shorter than the other. I've never seen anything over the years to sugest that the kit is at fault so it must be something I've done somewhere along the line. So, I've simply cut the fusalage in half, mated the nose and tail end together, and I'll fix the gap (3mm) by backing it with plastic card and putting a plastic shim into the gap, Jobs a goodun.

DSCF0331.jpg

Once I'm happy with the strength of all the joins I need to look at the profile of the nose coz its off on one side (it looks like its got tooth ache), again I think its more me than the kit, and then sort out these seams. Its incredable how different it is making something of this size compared to say a 48th Spitfire. This is proper model building

Mark

Edited by chadders