Hawk T1 xx256 ***Completed**

Muller

On Brians suggestion, I went with adding some tags and intake/exhaust covers, something I've never tried. I'll be doing it again, it really brings the model to life! The tags are made with wine bottle foil and stretched sprue. I decided to try using milliput to make the covers. I thought I'd use the intakes and exhaust from another kit to shape them. I didn't want the milliput to stick to the kit parts, so I thought if I put some clingfilm over the parts it would protect them. But I had no cling film in the kitchen, so I decided to use alu foil. When I wrapped them in the foil, I figured the foil looked pretty much like the covers, so I forgot about the milliput and just painted the foil! I think they turned out ok. I might have a go at making some chocks too.

P1010133.jpg

It's a bit too windy here to take some outdoor shots, hopefully I can get some better pics later.

Thanks for looking.

But, for that extra bit of realism, always remember that any RAF Aircraft is festooned with Safety 'Remove Before Flight' Tags, which are attached to Safety Pins that must be removed by the pilot as he does his 'Pre Flight' Walkround check of the aircraft.

These are normally - the undercarriage, in the Pylons and also in the weapons themselves. The missiles also have 'Noddy Caps' that cover the seeker head, to protect it from 'Contact Damage'.

The number of safety tags depends on the status of the aircraft - if the aircraft is in for any servicing, there are more items blanked off - i.e. all intakes/exhausts and, usually, any openings that a bird could make a home in!

Hawks on the line at Valley only had intake blanks and a pitot cover fitted. Ground locks were removed as soon as the aircraft were towed out and not re-fitted until the aircraft had finished for the day and had it's A/F servicing. No other blanks were fitted as the aircraft were only very rarely left out over night. In seven years at Valley I never saw a jetpipe blank fitted to a Hawk. Occasionally canopy covers were fitted if the jet was long term U/S, mainly to stop the pigeons crapping on it. Soft covers were used for landaway's and normally fitted by the aircrew.

I'm causing some debate here! lol

Got a couple of outdoor shots this evening before the rain came down.

P1010137.jpg

P1010141.jpg

That's this one done, I've moved onto the next hawk build this evening.

Thanks for the comments and advice lads!