1:32 Phantom

hi guys,

Just a note to say I've started on the kit pit. I am still going for a resin job, but thought I'd give this a go anyway. A form of backup as you will.

Long way to go yet - only just got the basic black down; gotta sharpen the edges of it, then onto the buttons and instruments etc etc before glueing it all together (which I'll do last)

web.jpg

oh, and here's the finished air-to-air stores from last night

web.jpg

Edited by silverburn

Bit of an on and off day today, but some big decisions made...

I've decided to go with the kit pit, and go for the resin bang seats. reason? Well, I think the kit one came out alright...

web.jpg

web.jpg

So I lashed it in, did the exhaust inners (dark green with smoke and a little white), and buttoned it all up! And it's gone together beautifully. Only the smallest bit of filler requite on the starboard rear quarter. Primed the seams and they're all tight. On the whole - I'm very impressed.

web.jpg

While that all dried, I started the main exhausts - Humbrol Aluminium, with an inner coating of tamiya smoke. Laid down thick (by accident ;)) to pull out the slats. Tomorrow - some white pastel inside for heat oxidisation, and a wash on the outer to pick out the inside slats, then a wee bit of dark rust pastel on the main outside slats to represent heat discolouration. Should come out ok.

web.jpg

And some fill pylons. Using a centre tank pylon for the centre MER. MER itself lifted from Trumpet AV08B kit. AndyL firing over 12 more mk 82's to fill this rack. (Nice one Andy!)

web.jpg

Edited by silverburn

Hi guys,

Another wee update:

AndyL's stores are here! You are a star Andy...

Anyway, got the wing ends on the main model, and went back to bomb-making. I do have some tidying on the starboard outer join though - and it'll be tricky to fill and sand without clogging the detail around there. hmmm.

web.jpg

Here's tonight's progress:

- 2 of Andy's 9 sprues done! 7 more to go...phew...some interesting boom sticks in there, for future models

- 12 Snake-eyes' re-primed. Andy' Olive drab doesn't match mine unfortunately...a shame.

web.jpg

web.jpg

However, I do have a query around loadouts, because I have a problem. The dumb bomb editions from the Tamiya and Trumpet kits do not match. The trumpets are thinner, maybe representing a lighter bomb.

Can I mix loads, and which is most likely?

- 12x 'fat' dumb bombs + 12 'thin' ones

- 12x 'fat' dumb bombs + 12 snake-eyes

Plodding on...

Underside primed (just before I ran out of primer!), and sprayed Ensignia white (or something very close to it...Halfords Fiat white 210)

web.jpg

If anything its a little thick - it's filled some very fine lines just forward of the auxilary intakes and centre pylon bracket. But it won't be noticeable, once I've got a MER with 12 snakes-eyes over the top.

More boom sticks started, from AndyL's stash. All his snake-eyes are re-olive drabbed, and now it's onto the dreaded yellow band. More sprues built - about halfway through now. Need primer before I can spray all this lot! Also got a load of flightpath fins to do...

Will have 20 Snake-eyes and 20 dumb mk82's - though the dumb trumpet editions seem too thin? Very likely I'll load up with 12 dumb mk82's and 12 snake-eyes. That should be a plausible load out...

web.jpg

All of a sudden there's 3x 1:32 phantoms on the go!

And here's mine...Main paint is on! Broke a tailfin aerial taking the masking off...and some of the tape has left some residue. Neither are major problems though.

web.jpg

This one looks better without the crap camera and light - you can really see the smoke etc:

web.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ok, it's been a while! What can I say...it's summer, so I'm normally outside...and I have a new toy this year too (Ducati Diavel). :-)

Anyway, we're onto the decalling now - it's it's fiddly. And I ripped one! The grey one on top of the port engine. Gutted...think i can paint it in though, if I can find the right grey. Also ripped the port 5-pointed star too! Gaaaah!

Anyway, here we are:

web.jpg

Right thats it! firstly you are producing a top quality F4 complete with the worlds allocation of armament, secondly you casually come along and announce possessing probably one of the most radical and sought after products ever conceived from the Bologna temple!

Me? Jealous? no Not in the slightest!!!!!!

Seriously keep up the great work and thrash that bike to within an inch of its design envelope! Oh and keep up the good work on the F4.

Seriously keep up the great work and thrash that bike to within an inch of its design envelope!

Not to worry..the pegs are getting a pounding! To the amazement of a lot of sports bike riders too ;)

Anyway - back to the F4, I've finished the decalling at last; gahd it was slog. I need to find a paint to replace the top grey; it's flaking off! It's been a right pain.

Which means the last coat of matt on, and I can seal up the airframe! First addition after this is the exhausts..which I'm happy about. Maybe a wee bit more smoke on the insides but it's actually good as is.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Edited by silverburn

More progress!

And she stands! All 3 legs are on, as are the bay doors, flaps and air brakes, the air-to-air and a few small bits and bobs.

The big task ahead is the Mk82's...got the fiddly yellow 'live' marker to paint on a further 9 of them!

So here we are (I'll load up the centre MER before fitting)...

web.jpg

* edit *- Just noticed the port legs door is squint. Easy fix though.

Edited by silverburn

Very very nice indeed. How do you do the yellow live markers? By hand or masking them off?

Some use the decals from the kit (the best way btw). The remainder are hand painted. A steady hand and gloopy yellow paint essential (so you get an even coat, and don't have to repeat it!).

And we're done at last! Next model...no MK82's...:)

Also started on the home straight; canopies done, along with some pit stuff. Not much left to do:

- Seats

- general tidy of paint in pit (some grey as leaked in)

- canopies need clean and polish, and a bit of interior black finished off

- breakables; glass lights, front leg arms, fin aerials & front, struts for canopies

- fix some of the squint MK82's on the centre MER; not sure what's going on there

- give the whole thing a dust

- try and fix the pealing decals (photo's shortly)

...and that'll be it! Should be RFI by end of weekend; apologies in advance - I've only got an iPhone to shoot with for the moment - I'll do the best I can!

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Edited by silverburn

• 2 weeks later...