1/48 FW 190 A-8

gfurm

That's what I'll be starting now. Quite detailed kit with full engine, open gun bays some PE parts for the cockpit, masks for canopy and wheels and all that in the box. I've not decided about painting yet.

Greg

Box

_IGP7781.jpg

sprues

_IGP7807.jpg

_IGP7808.jpg

_IGP7809.jpg

_IGP7810.jpg

_IGP7812.jpg

_IGP7813.jpg

_IGP7814.jpg

Edited by gfurm

Have to agree with Peter, it's a really nice kit. I know when I built this kit I said that it's probably the best engineered kit that I'd ever built but, and there's always a but, patience is king with it. Dry fit everything and think 3 steps ahead and the result will be stunning. Rush it and they'll be headaches a plenty.

Looking forward to the build though.

Pete

Yes, quite a lot of plastic for 23 quid.

I thought about doing E scheme (black 10 with RLM 81/83/84) but there are no top views of this in the manual and I couldn't find anything on the net. Help anyone?

Greg

Have to agree there! And it's an excellent plan for an OOB build - get a kit that comes with the 'aftermarket'! :) I'll have to check out this range of kits...

J.

That's why I like those Eduard kits. Everything there for less money than buying it all separately.

Started on cockpit today. Not all PE in place as I'm waitnig for some fine point tweezers from Hannants. The biggerparts are in there, now waiting for them to dry and then paint the tub and seat. If I can manage to do it today I'll post some photos. Leaving for work in couple hours, and 4 night in a row so probably no updates till Sunday/Monday.

Greg

Right, couple photos. all parts are missing some PE as I'm still waiting for tweezers. Cockpit tub painted with Revell no. 69. There was two possible matches for RLM 66, Revell 69 and 9 but I choose the lighter colour.

Greg

_IGP7821.jpg

_IGP7822.jpg

I have 4 days off now so I was hoping to do some work on this. But I sliced two fingers on my left hand and thumb on right hand. Work accidents. So I don't know when new update will be possible.

Greg

My fingers are in much better state than I thought. Left hand is almost OK, no bleeding anymore and almost no pain. The cuts weren't as deep as on my right thumb. This one is still sore and the cuts splits all the time, but at least it's not bleeding. So I managed to put together all cockpit parts I had assembled before.

_IGP7830.jpg

_IGP7829.jpg

_IGP7827.jpg

_IGP7826.jpg

I also have gun and engine mount assembled and painted. No photos as I just painted it. I did sidestep the instructions a little. You are supposed to connect engine mount much later when fuselage parts are glued together, but I figured it would be much easier to do it now and paint it than fiddle with it in closed space. Will post photos a bit later.

Greg

Coming along nicely Greg. Perhaps you should pop along to A&E and let them superglue your thumb back together - it worked for me a couple of years ago (and no, I'm not going to post pictures of the scar).

Andy

Hehe, funny you should say that. I tried to superglue thumb myself but it didn't work that well.

It's not bothering me that much, it just looked nasty with all this blood coming out of these cuts. After taking plasters off after one day it turned out that only thumb was deep. But there's much more blood coming out of fingertips than anywhere else you cut yourself, so it looked much more serious than it really was.

Greg

More progress:

Wing spar/gear bay completed. Painted and lightly drybrushed, I may add some wash later on.

_IGP7844.jpg

_IGP7840.jpg

Wing gun bay doors cut out on one side to fit closed doors. It may sound strange, but you have to cut part of the wing to fit gun bay doors later if you want them in closed position. Only one side will be open.

That's the open one

_IGP7833.jpg

Top of gear bays painted and drybrushed

_IGP7834.jpg

And finally engine and cannon mount. That's where I sidestepped Eduard instructions and build it all outside fuselage. I also plan to add cannons later when I have top engine cover on, so they fit in the fairings, If I try to do it now as per Eduard instructions I'll probably end up with them pointing to the sky or in engine bay. :rolleyes:

_IGP7832.jpg

_IGP7831.jpg

As for the kit itself you have to pay attention to what you are doing and dry fit everything few times. But the surface details are beautiful, very fine panel lines and rivet details, just exsquisite.

Greg

Today done so far:

Upper instrument panel

_IGP7845.jpg

Closed fuselage, still need to rescribe couple panel lines

_IGP7848.jpg

_IGP7849.jpg

Finished engine

_IGP7847.jpg

_IGP7846.jpg

Also managed to break one gun barrel while painting. Lucky for me this one goes in the wing and the break is inside leading edge, so no harm done.

I want to have one side of engine cowling open, which unfortunately means slicing the part in half. Tried in on a spare and it didn't go that bad so I'll try that. Would be shame to cover all that work which went into engine

Greg

Before masking:

_IGP7852.jpg

_IGP7850.jpg

Here's close up of sliced cowling. I noticed that all panels are supposed to be open, especially top cannons cover. It didn't want to fit in closed position at all. It was a bit long so I attacked it with sandpaper, and as you can see I went a bit too far :), anyway pressing on.

_IGP7853.jpg

And masked and ready for priming.

_IGP7855.jpg

So what went wrong so far: cannon cover messed up, broken one wing gun barrel and sanded one wing root too much. Overall pleased with the build so far. There's almost no filler in there, just in places I messed up. Now waiting for the paper in wheel wells to dry so I can start painting.

Before I start with that one question. I want to paint it in RLM 81/82/83 scheme, but Eduard manual has only one plane in this and it's without top view. So the question is were the wings painted brown/green or was brown only on fuselage in this scheme and wings green/gray?

Greg

Edited by gfurm